NYC-BKK award in business question

Old Sep 7, 09, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: New to United
NYC-BKK award in business question

My wife and I have been looking for perksaver/low level award tickets from NYC airports to BKK in JAN/FEB/MARCH in business class. We are completely flexible and can go any day in those 3 months. I have tried various routings on DL/NW/KE connecting in ICN and NRT but have found nothing. I have tried originating in SEA/SFO/DTW/ATL/LAS/IAD and using KE to ICN in business but have found nothing for those 3 months after hours of searching every date.

Can there truly be no business awards for 2 people on this route for these 3 months?? Any advice or routing suggestions would be great.

I have even looked at CO website to fly EWR-PVG in business using award ticket (then fly using $$ PVG-BKK) which shows great availability for many days during those 3 months for 60k each way but when I look up the same flights on NWA it shows they are ALL "unavailable".

Please help point me in the right direction here..
Old Sep 7, 09, 7:11 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
CO is leaving SkyTeam in October. So, forget CO. I'm very cynical when it comes to business class award availability with NW and DL. BKK is especially hard to get, esp. for two people! Try DTW-NGO-MNL, DTW-KIX-TPE, DTW-PVG, or land in HKG or SIN and then buy a RT to BKK from there.

Also consider USA-CDG-BKK on AF metal.

- Pat
Old Sep 7, 09, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wiirachay View Post
CO is leaving SkyTeam in October. So, forget CO. I'm very cynical when it comes to business class award availability with NW and DL. BKK is especially hard to get, esp. for two people! Try DTW-NGO-MNL, DTW-KIX-TPE, DTW-PVG, or land in HKG or SIN and then buy a RT to BKK from there.

Also consider USA-CDG-BKK on AF metal.

- Pat
Thanks I will give those routes a try. Also from what I understand I can still book CO award tickets for next year travel up until October 24th. If CO website shows availability does that mean I should have access to it thru a NWA reservation agent at least even if NWA.com says its not available?
Old Sep 7, 09, 7:29 am
Original Member

Be sure to also check:
- KLM via AMS to BKK
- KLM/NWA/DL to AMS and then onward with Malaysian (via KUL), China Airlines (flies nonstop AMS-BKK) or KLM
- SQ via SIN - bookable with DL miles
- Jet Airways via BOM
- Aeroflot via Moscow

Obviously, some partners listed above are a lot more appealing than others!
Old Sep 7, 09, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leroy11 View Post
Be sure to also check:
- KLM via AMS to BKK
- KLM/NWA/DL to AMS and then onward with Malaysian (via KUL), China Airlines (flies nonstop AMS-BKK) or KLM
- SQ via SIN - bookable with DL miles
- Jet Airways via BOM
- Aeroflot via Moscow

Obviously, some partners listed above are a lot more appealing than others!
The Delta forum and Delta customer service told me I cannot book award tickets to Asia by going transatlantic...that I must go west over the Pacific. I even tried Delta.com which would not allow routings to BKK via AMS or CDG on KLM/AF. If I received faulty info, how do I see award availability to BKK by traveling via Europe?
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy View Post
Thanks I will give those routes a try. Also from what I understand I can still book CO award tickets for next year travel up until October 24th. If CO website shows availability does that mean I should have access to it thru a NWA reservation agent at least even if NWA.com says its not available?
I just booked 2 business class CO EWR-PVG tickets for April 2010 via nwa.com. If you do see the CO availability, call NWA and have them book it.. if you get a bad agent, hang up and call again. It definitely is possible.
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Platinum, MM
The Delta forum and Delta customer service told me I cannot book award tickets to Asia by going transatlantic...that I must go west over the Pacific. I even tried Delta.com which would not allow routings to BKK via AMS or CDG on KLM/AF. If I received faulty info, how do I see award availability to BKK by traveling via Europe?
I don't think you received faulty information. I have been told the same thing by NW agents, that is, I can't get an award ticket to Asia via a flight through Europe.

I also have been frustrated in finding award tix to BKK. There isn't even anything for just me, let alone just me and a friend. A NW agent told me this is because there is an extremely heavy demand for BKK award tickets.

Have you tried using KE? I got an award ticket to SIN (I know it's not BKK) in November via ICN on KE because there was nothing available on NW on the date I needed.
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaimemayo View Post
I don't think you received faulty information. I have been told the same thing by NW agents, that is, I can't get an award ticket to Asia via a flight through Europe.

I also have been frustrated in finding award tix to BKK. There isn't even anything for just me, let alone just me and a friend. A NW agent told me this is because there is an extremely heavy demand for BKK award tickets.

Have you tried using KE? I got an award ticket to SIN (I know it's not BKK) in November via ICN on KE because there was nothing available on NW on the date I needed.
I have tried every direct flight from USA to ICN on KE using NWA.com but have found no low level business awards...only coach. My ideal routing is JKK-ICN-BKK on KE business but I cannot even find a ticket for one passenger let alone two for any date I plug in. VERY frustrating. Does KE not give out very many business awards to NWA/DL?? I can understand how some flights may be full but not every single flight on every single day for months.
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:38 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
There was a great window for this a month ago, when NW switched back to the A330 NRT/BKK. For a few weeks there was wide open availabilithy in all classes. Most of these have been snapped up, and as you are likely seeing now, only single seats are left.

3 options to consider:

1) book 1 award biz and 1 award coach and waitlist for biz
2) book 1 award biz and 1 paid coach and upgrade with miles
3) fly different airlines/routings/days
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doglover View Post
There was a great window for this a month ago, when NW switched back to the A330 NRT/BKK. For a few weeks there was wide open availabilithy in all classes. Most of these have been snapped up, and as you are likely seeing now, only single seats are left.

3 options to consider:

1) book 1 award biz and 1 award coach and waitlist for biz
2) book 1 award biz and 1 paid coach and upgrade with miles
3) fly different airlines/routings/days
Thanks! I would be happy to get two low level business tickets just to ICN/NRT/HKG/PVG etc at this point then buy the last leg to BKK.
Old Sep 7, 09, 11:34 am

welcome to the new worldperks program...

There are several tricks that I have used over the years, with less effectiveness recently.

You may be forced to route NYC-HNL-NRT-BKK, as the HNL-NRT flight is the easiest one to find 2 seats and it's definitely available PerkSaver for some of your dates. That is a pain in the *ss for sure, but you might be able to stagger your flight into HNL and your departure to NRT so that you have 20 hours to stay at a hotel on the beach.

The one trick that I'll share that used to work on pretty much any day is to buy a ticket to HNL and you can get perkpass award tickets from there (all the way to BKK in fact) for 140k per ticket. It used to be only 120k for perkpass on this route, before DL came along, now even 140k isnt the upper limit, but on many days the 140k level can be found. Often you can find PP one way (70k) and PS the other (35k), so only 105k per ticket (again HNL-BKK, you pay to get to HNL and back to NYC). I know you are on the east coast, so NYC-HNL is not a cheap flight (for us on the west coast, this can be had for low to mid $300s). But that is a pretty easy option, not as good as 120k WBC from start to finish.

The other option that works well is LAX-NRT, but for 2 people, that might still be tough (but a quick search reveals this works at least one way during the months you seek to travel).

The other thing you need to understand is that NW's "journey logic" (actually there is not too much logic involved) means that you have to look at married segments (e.g., LAX-SIN, instead of looking at LAX-NRT and NRT-SIN individually). What this means is that each of the feeder flights into NRT form the US is allocated a certain number of seats on the connecting flights onward to Asia. The more popular transpacs eat up those seats quickly. But HNL and LAX tend to have more of those "onward" seats left, this is true for awards too. That logic can be broken, however, with a stopover in NRT (and continuation on NW another day) or a connection to a partner airline.

To beat journey logic, you really need to start with the transpac and be willing to pay some change fees, not really the end of the world if you think about spending $150 for several changes to get such an expensive ticket.

Good luck, snagging 2 awards is always a challenge, but with a mix of the above strategies it is doable...
Old Sep 7, 09, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stephem View Post
welcome to the new worldperks program...

There are several tricks that I have used over the years, with less effectiveness recently.

You may be forced to route NYC-HNL-NRT-BKK, as the HNL-NRT flight is the easiest one to find 2 seats and it's definitely available PerkSaver for some of your dates. That is a pain in the *ss for sure, but you might be able to stagger your flight into HNL and your departure to NRT so that you have 20 hours to stay at a hotel on the beach.

The one trick that I'll share that used to work on pretty much any day is to buy a ticket to HNL and you can get perkpass award tickets from there (all the way to BKK in fact) for 140k per ticket. It used to be only 120k for perkpass on this route, before DL came along, now even 140k isnt the upper limit, but on many days the 140k level can be found. Often you can find PP one way (70k) and PS the other (35k), so only 105k per ticket (again HNL-BKK, you pay to get to HNL and back to NYC). I know you are on the east coast, so NYC-HNL is not a cheap flight (for us on the west coast, this can be had for low to mid $300s). But that is a pretty easy option, not as good as 120k WBC from start to finish.

The other option that works well is LAX-NRT, but for 2 people, that might still be tough (but a quick search reveals this works at least one way during the months you seek to travel).

The other thing you need to understand is that NW's "journey logic" (actually there is not too much logic involved) means that you have to look at married segments (e.g., LAX-SIN, instead of looking at LAX-NRT and NRT-SIN individually). What this means is that each of the feeder flights into NRT form the US is allocated a certain number of seats on the connecting flights onward to Asia. The more popular transpacs eat up those seats quickly. But HNL and LAX tend to have more of those "onward" seats left, this is true for awards too. That logic can be broken, however, with a stopover in NRT (and continuation on NW another day) or a connection to a partner airline.

To beat journey logic, you really need to start with the transpac and be willing to pay some change fees, not really the end of the world if you think about spending $150 for several changes to get such an expensive ticket.

Good luck, snagging 2 awards is always a challenge, but with a mix of the above strategies it is doable...
GREAT info, thanks! I am going to look at those options...though with so many stops we will surely have to stay overnight in either HNL/NRT/ICN I would imagine for our own sanity. I have to say that NW/DL does not make it easy for the customer to redeem their miles on routes more complicated then say ATL-MCO!...
Old Sep 7, 09, 12:05 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Unfortunately your statement is not entirely true. SQ awards may go transatlantic. The DL partner desk can book these itineraries by calling SQ. They also have a first class award for 20k additional miles over business.
Old Sep 7, 09, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; AClub, PC Plat; HH, MR Gold
Have you tried calling the NW Elite line? I do most of my award searches online too, but have found many agents can pretty quickly tell you options on partner airlines that don't necessarily show up online. There's no charge to have them look for availability -- and if they find great flight options, it's worth the fee to get the flights ticketed if you can't get the same options online.
Old Sep 7, 09, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, MM
Just for the heck of it I put in March 1 and 12 as departure and return dates for two people. The calendar did not even list these flights as available award dates but I put them in anyway. Interestingly enough J came back but not on all three segments (MKE-NRT-BKK and I even tried LAX-NRT-BKK and the results were the same). MKE-DTW had only Y availability, DTW-BKK had J, NRT-BKK had Y. Return trip: BKK-NRT Y, NRT-DTW J and DTW-MKE F. As you can see, tpac had J available but NRT-BKK-NRT did not. Of course, even though the entire itinerary was not J I was still charged 120,000 miles per person. But an itinerary like this might be worth it if the concern is tpac comfort.

Search this Thread