First trip on DL

Old Sep 6, 09, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
First trip on DL

I've beem a Plat on NW for the past 5 years, and I'm sorry to see the red tail go. I was always treated great by everyone there.

I have had some hesitation with the DL merger, wondering what it would be like. I have also seen changes to the WP program that I do not like, so I have considered trying a status match on another carrier. But before I did that, I wanted to try the DL brand.

I bought a fairly cheap coach ticket (SEA-ATL-TPA) for something like $320 rt, a few days before departure. Checked "my reservation" on nwa.com the next day, and I had been ug'ed on all 4 legs. First leg was a 767, with an avod system and power ports. The legs to and from TPA were 757s, with nothing. I'm on a 757 (flt 1039) from ATL to SEA with wi-fi ($13), avod with free live TV, movies for $, and assorted other options, great service, and a friendly crew.

While I hate to see the red tail go, if this is the future, I think I'll stay with the "new" NW, which is what I call DL.

A lot better than I expected. I can definitely live with this. I just hope my experience is not out of the ordinary.

From over Rapid City, SD

Donna
Old Sep 6, 09, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
While I'm glad that you're enjoying the ride, I don't think the complaints about DL focus on the in-flight or on the ground service. It's the devaluation of frequent flyer benefits and miles that's really the centerpiece of the discussion.
Old Sep 6, 09, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
While I'm glad that you're enjoying the ride, I don't think the complaints about DL focus on the in-flight or on the ground service. It's the devaluation of frequent flyer benefits and miles that's really the centerpiece of the discussion.
Therein lies part of this issue. There is a lot more than a FF program to an airline. These other things do matter. I don't especially like the overuse of the term devaluation but change was going to happen in FF programs merger or not.
Old Sep 7, 09, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
Perfectly stated.
Old Sep 7, 09, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
As the OP, perhaps it is just my interpretation of what I have read here about the "Deltaification"of NW, but I had really sensed that flying on Delta would be a step down from NW. I found it to be just the opposite.

This was the first trip I have flown on DL in several years, and definitely the first since we have had status upgrade capability. I was pleasantly suprised by this trip. Again, I hope this trip was not unusually nice, as I am using this trip to decide if I should go for a status match on another carrier.

The comment has been made that much of the negativity about "Deltaification" deals with the changes to the WP program.
I certainly cannot deny that; a lot of the really good features in the WP program are gone. But before you get the benefits of any FF program, you must first fly the miles.

If a carrier has a really good FF program, but the actual product you purchase and fly (as in butt in seat miles)to get the rewards of that program are substandard, do you stay?

In my own case, I fly purely discretionary trips, and select my carrier based on status upgrade capability from a cheap fare. As such, NW has been the best for domestic upgrades over the past 5 years for me.

Yes, the changes to the WP program leave a lot to be desired, but I first have to fly to earn the miles for any program. So my priority is domestic upgrade capability, and then in-flight service. and lastly, the FF program in terms of mileage rewards. From what I saw on this trip, I'll fly DL anytime. Nice upgrades, good service, and a FF program that I can live with.

I purchase a ticket in terms of what I get now (upgrades, service) and not because of what an airlines FF program offers in terms of rewards down the road. I want my good stuff upfront. Not later thru an awards benefit that, in this day and age, seems to change monthly.

Perhaps you have a different view. If so, I'd love to hear it. As for me, my hesitation of sticking with NW/DL has been replaced with optimism for the future.

Which matters most to you, the immediate benefits such as upgrades, or something down the road using mileage benefits?

Last edited by Donna49; Sep 8, 09 at 12:44 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 8, 09, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia., SPG Gold, MR Plat
But I have seen the devalue of upgrades, depends where you are flying to/from. For one thing I have not seen a hot meal in 6 months on my LGA-MSP flight.

On a flight in March JFK-LAS I had to beg and plead to the GA to get my wife and I upgraded (on a M fare) when there were 10 opens seats in FC, which were never filled. If it was a NW flight I would have been confirmed 5 days out for both of us.
Old Sep 8, 09, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Donna49 View Post
As the OP, perhaps it is just my interpretation of what I have read here about the "Deltaification"of NW, but I had really sensed that flying on Delta would be a step down from NW. I found it to be just the opposite.

Which matters most to you, the immediate benefits such as upgrades, or something down the road using mileage benefits?
Give it time....as a NWA Gold I unfortunately I think I've been on 4 NWA operated flights in the past 5 months, the rest are DL where I think I've been upgraded 3 times...with NWA I sat in Y 1-3 times year, maybe I was lucky but it was that way for the past 5 years....this morning they (DL) were looking for volunteers, I said great route me through DTW as I had checked on my blackberry and it had space all the way through...(merged station too)..and the agent responded that they couldn't push me to another airline...tried to explain but another agent said she was working the DTW flight and I couldn't go that way as they couldn't push the 012 ticket for DL metal to another airline (in this case NW)???...guess what I took my Y seat and made them IDB someone...try selecting a premium seat on dl.com with an NWA Elite number...can't be done...gold companion upgrades? quietly removed from this years program....there's enough that will get fixed once they convert all of us over to SM elites but until then we're second class elites

Search this Thread