Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Chances of being able to buy upgrades on MSP-HNL

Old Sep 6, 09, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Exec, NW Gold Elite,

Flying MSP-HBL-MSP for business in a couple months. have full Y class ticket. What are the chances I will be able to buy an upgrade at check-in? (weird expense policies, we can't book business class tickets but we can expense upgrades.

what fare bucket do these seats pull from?
Old Sep 6, 09, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by MarkJohnson View Post
Flying MSP-HBL-MSP for business in a couple months. have full Y class ticket. What are the chances I will be able to buy an upgrade at check-in? (weird expense policies, we can't book business class tickets but we can expense upgrades.

what fare bucket do these seats pull from?
By HBL, I'm assuming you mean HNL?

As for upgrades, it may be DL's upgrade policies in a couple of months or a new upgrade policy.

Right now, as it stands, day of departure upgrades draw from any F class (essentially, as long as there's a seat on the flight, they'll sell it to you). If you have some miles lying around, the better route would be to upgrade with miles.
Old Sep 6, 09, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Of course, I am not encouraging you to break the rules or be unethical but why don't you just "buy" the upgrade now?
Old Sep 6, 09, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Exec, NW Gold Elite,
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Of course, I am not encouraging you to break the rules or be unethical but why don't you just "buy" the upgrade now?
Because i don't want to spend my miles... if i do it on check-in, I can expense it. I can't get "paid" for using my miles. that's the whole point.
Old Sep 7, 09, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP and CK, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Amex Plat, etc
I have been on the MSP-HNL and HNL-MSP flight many times and they always are selling the remaining F seats. $350. Totally worth it on the 330.
Old Sep 7, 09, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by MarkJohnson View Post
Because i don't want to spend my miles... if i do it on check-in, I can expense it. I can't get "paid" for using my miles. that's the whole point.
Can't you pay the difference between a Y fare and a F fare now and call it an "upgrade"?

I just checked one and A class was about $500 cheaper the Y.
Old Sep 7, 09, 10:06 am

Don't want to rain on your parade, but based on only 1 or 2 a year MSP/HNL/MSP, chances of buying an upgrade at the gate are slim to none and slim just left town.
Old Sep 7, 09, 10:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
You won't end up with any more miles by buying a gate upgrade. They will still credit EQMS and RDMs at the Y paid rate even if you can pay the $350 gate upgrade fee.
So if you have plenty of miles use them or if you want to spend the money, fine, but you will not gain any miles by paying for the upgrade.

Search this Thread