Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

WP Award & partner schedule change- what should NW/DL do?

Old Sep 6, 09, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I was talking to the elite line the other day to get some tickets sorted out and they mentioned that another reservation had a schedule change that I needed to accept. I was surprised to learn that 2 award tickets in first class (that I had booked last Feb for this upcoming Christmas) had been completely changed to the point that I'm not sure we even want to use them any more. I've given a few tries talking with the elite line to see what other options they can give me (besides the flights they have already proposed) and I am getting very little constructive help. I'd like to see what people think.

The flights we booked are Seattle to Cabo San Lucas, nonstop, on AM. At the time we booked this, we knew we would be coming in from Singapore shortly before the flights to Cabo and then routing through HNL on the day after we flew back from Cabo. In other words, we knew we had a lot of flying on either end of the flights to Cabo (and we have an infant with us) so worked hard to find a nonstop flight (indeed I was about to purchase nonstops on AS because at first we could not find award seats). Because of these other flights, we are really constrained on dates we can shift the Cabo flights.

It turns out that AM is not going to fly the SEA-SJD route nonstop any longer, and so they have proposed to NW that we route through MEX. That adds a significant amount of additional travel time and a layover in MEX. Instead of a 4.5 hour nonstop flight, we know have a marathon 9 hour day of flying.

There is no inventory left on the AS nonstop, nor even a connection thru LAX/SAN on the return date we have. DL has flights thru SLC that are also unavailable for award redemption (but show c9j9) and these DL flights would shave several hours off the MEX connection. I understand there is nothing NW can do about AS inventory, but I asked the elite line why they cannot get DL (their new owner) to open inventory as a coutesy to 2 elites (who will be flying on NW in paid WBC on either side of this Christmas holiday). The funny thing is that all the agents I've spoke with have confirmed that they could open award space on NW metal to fix the problem, but NOT on DL metal.

I'm not getting any constructive help from the elite line and was curious what others think is reasonable. I'd settle for the DL flights at this point just to avoid having to play travel agent for another 6 or 7 hours and I dont understand why this allegedly "merged" airline cannot do this. I really dont want to rebook the tickets on either end of this award because they took a lot of time to plan out. And if I did rebook, NW would be the big loser because I would probably just figure out how to do this with a *A RTW of Circle Pacific ticket, because I've got almost that much sunk into the WBC tickets already.

Thoughts?

Search this Thread