FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Shocked! Movie DTW->MCO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/991942-shocked-movie-dtw-mco.html)

tvelinsk Sep 4, 2009 10:01 pm

Shocked! Movie DTW->MCO

Just after push back on flight 430 this evening the flight attendant started passing out headphones, and informed us that we would be viewing "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" during our 2 hour 25 minute flight. I was floored! When did this start? And I used to just get excited to be tossed a packet of pretzels when sitting back in coach!

GVSUflyer Sep 5, 2009 12:12 pm

I had this exact experience Wednesday flying MSP-LAX on a 753. DL it appears has re-activated the entertainment systems on these planes. Needless to say it's an improvement!

azj Sep 5, 2009 12:18 pm

Onboard service between the red tail and blue tail flights have been standardized. They didn't reactivate anything... They're just using the equipment they have. Planes capable with IFE will see the systems being used during the appropriate times. I know it's different from the past... But NWA is in the past. The now is Delta.

indufan Sep 5, 2009 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by azj (Post 12336355)
Onboard service between the red tail and blue tail flights have been standardized. They didn't reactivate anything... They're just using the equipment they have. Planes capable with IFE will see the systems being used during the appropriate times. I know it's different from the past... But NWA is in the past. The now is Delta.

Isn't that kind of the definition of reactivating?

azj Sep 5, 2009 4:44 pm

You can't reactivate something that was never deactivated in the first place. The IFE has always worked on the 757-300s, they just only used it for the HNL flights. The IFE was totally removed from the 320s and the moldy oldy 757, 5500 series. The rest of the domestic fleet never had IFE.

indufan Sep 5, 2009 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by azj (Post 12336970)
You can't reactivate something that was never deactivated in the first place. The IFE has always worked on the 757-300s, they just only used it for the HNL flights. The IFE was totally removed from the 320s and the moldy oldy 757, 5500 series. The rest of the domestic fleet never had IFE.

In my view, not using it is the same as deactivating it. And using it again would be reactivating it.

GVSUflyer Sep 5, 2009 6:34 pm

Well unless Delta plans on scrapping all the NW airbus planes and old 757's, it would be in their interest to re-install video equipment on these planes.

beckoa Sep 6, 2009 2:14 am

Well this is an improvement I guess... I know I was shocked to not have IFE flying ANC-MSP/DTW a couple years ago... even upgraded into F :eek:

I know it costs a little for the tapes to run the movies... but it does make the flight a little better ^

(And if the hardware is installed already... that much easier - isn't that the primary expense anyway?)

indufan Sep 6, 2009 9:56 am

Originally Posted by GVSUflyer (Post 12337211)
Well unless Delta plans on scrapping all the NW airbus planes and old 757's, it would be in their interest to re-install video equipment on these planes.

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath on this. Using existing equipment is one thing but purchasing and installing new stuff is a whole different beast. They may do it but it will be a while.

raehl311 Sep 6, 2009 10:58 am

Originally Posted by azj (Post 12336970)
You can't reactivate something that was never deactivated in the first place.

This is true.

The IFE has always worked on the 757-300s, they just only used it for the HNL flights.
That's deactivated. I think you're confusing 'deactivated' with 'disabled'. Deactivated means in a condition where it could be used but not actually used, disabled means in a condition that it can't be used.

The IFE was totally removed from the 320s and the moldy oldy 757, 5500 series. The rest of the domestic fleet never had IFE.
That's removed.

Using systems that were previously not used is reactivating.

james318 Sep 6, 2009 5:59 pm

I flew DTW-MCO about 12 days ago on a 753... No movies. I am flying MCO-DTW in two days on a 752....

SR 103 Sep 6, 2009 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by azj (Post 12336355)
But NWA is in the past. The now is Delta.

I never thought I would hear you say that Azj. I miss NW quite a bit, however I have found a great substitution and its not DL!

Janus Sep 6, 2009 7:30 pm

I have been doing a lot of MSP-MKE and MSP-SEA laps in the last few months (on the 757-300 and 757-200). The 200's have no IFE, but on the 300s about 2-3 months ago they started showing the (very over-the-top) Delta safety video, and about 1-2 months ago they also started showing movies/TV shows. It is funny watching some of the FAs who forget they are on a 300 and get ready for the safety demo (i.e. seat belt, mask, etc) then realize they don't need to do it and stow the gear.

n7371f Sep 7, 2009 6:40 pm

Delta is planning on keeping the 757-5500 series planes - so chances are you won't have anything on your 757-200 flight. Delta is doing nothing to these planes: no paint, no interiors. In fact 3 of them were just deactivated and parked last week.

The only slight chance is if you get a 757-5600 series that's had its system reinstalled. But there are only a handful of these 756's flying domestic, as most of them are assigned to Tokyo and a few others to Atlantic routes.

Watchful Sep 9, 2009 7:05 pm

Had a movie yesterday on a 753 MSP-SFO. ^