FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Mixed DL/NWA itineraries - upgrade hassles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/991419-mixed-dl-nwa-itineraries-upgrade-hassles.html)

Brian_is_flyin Sep 3, 2009 10:14 am

Mixed DL/NWA itineraries - upgrade hassles?

NW PE with 100+ segments and 100K+ EQM so far in 2009.

My company has recently switched travel agencies from CWag to Orbitz for Biz. The handful of flights that are available on my usual route (MSP-BTV), are shown in Orbitz most as mixed carrier (DL/NW) options. The flight from MSP to DTW is shown as a DL flight operated by NW, and the DTW to BTV is shown as DL operated by Pinnacle/Delta Connection. This seems a bit different, when all my previous itineraries were all NWA flight numbers.

Here's my dilema, so far in 2009, I have been 100% in Elite upgrades (50 for 50, or so) on planes that have a F cabin. Since starting to book these Orbitz flights (DL 006 tickets, sold as DL flights operated by the actual carrier, Amex has charge from Delta) - I have gotten 0% upgrade. (0 for 6 on eligble planes).

I have called NWA PE line and they can see that I am on the upgrade list, I have called DL premium sales line and they state they show the segments are requested for upgrade.

For today's flights, BTV-JFK-MSP, the fiist segment is DL flight # operated by DL Connect, second segent is sold as DL flight # operated by NW. Upon checking in and printing boarding pass from the NW site, I was taken to the DL site. I was unable to pull a seat map for the NW operated flight to see if I could move from exit window to the exit aisle. (no big deal). After checking in and printing BP, I went back to NW site and saw that I could check my position on the upgrade list for my NW operated flight. When I looked, the NW site stated that I was not on the upgrade list, - and that F was booked full. But upon calling the NW PE line, I was told that I am indeed on the upgrade wait list.

I understand that NW has dropped its 5:30am MSP-DTW flight, thus more elites are competing for the same F seats. Understood and logical. Over the course of this year I have flown the BTV-JFK-MSP flight 5 times and never had a problem getting the upgrade 5 days out. This was when they were flying that route with a CR900, rather than the A319 they started to fly recently. With more F seats now available, one would think that an upgrade would actually be easier to score.

I am grateful for any upgrade that I get and see it as a perk, not an entitlement. I am just very curious if other have had mixed carrier upgrade troubles or have ever had upgrade sucess go from 100% (for 7+ months) to 0% (for 3 weeks straight), simply by changing travel agents (and the way they sell flights)???

(sorry for the longwinded essay, congrats on making it to the end....)

davo89 Sep 3, 2009 11:09 am

I call on any flight that is a combined Delta/NWA itinerary. Most of the time the agent says that the upgrade is not making on the Delta portion of the flight; they manually put me on the list.

Last week going DTW to SLC I had to spend 15 minutes at the counter to get on the upgrade list - The Elite phone reps couldn't help, they said it had to be done at the airport.

fti Sep 3, 2009 11:11 am

I have a NW ticket MSP-EWR for Saturday then EWR-ATL-MSP for next Tuesday. Was upgraded on the NW flight a couple of days ago and just received a call from DL that I was upgraded ATL-MSP for next Tuesday (still requested for EWR-ATL). A mix of NW/DL flight numbers all booked on nwa.com and so far so good. Unfortunately I am going to do a SDC or standby to return on an earlier flight to MSP on Tuesday.

John

ResSalesGuy Sep 3, 2009 11:49 am

I have seen issues with the PE nbr reflecting the status on bkngs for Orbitz (for business) ...I dont know if its the system they use or the mix of codeshares etc....I would try booking an itin on NWA.COM if your company allows it...maybe ask forgiveness later...:-)...and see how it goes....
I deal with alot of Orbitz agents, and its not always a positive experience, although I think at least Orbitz for Biz might use US based agents, regular Orbitz is in either the Phillipines or India and there is a disconnect.....either way, something is not working correctly...
I wonder if its the same "married segment issue" that supposedly doesnt exist?
Does Orbitz give the option of only booking as the Operating carrier?
Just suggestions....

socrates Sep 3, 2009 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy (Post 12326890)
I have seen issues with the PE nbr reflecting the status on bkngs for Orbitz (for business) ...I dont know if its the system they use or the mix of codeshares etc....I would try booking an itin on NWA.COM if your company allows it...maybe ask forgiveness later...:-)...and see how it goes....
I deal with alot of Orbitz agents, and its not always a positive experience, although I think at least Orbitz for Biz might use US based agents, regular Orbitz is in either the Phillipines or India and there is a disconnect.....either way, something is not working correctly...
I wonder if its the same "married segment issue" that supposedly doesnt exist?
Does Orbitz give the option of only booking as the Operating carrier?
Just suggestions....

FYI NWA.com's backend booking engine is orbitz

The issues with the DL seat map is DLMatic isn't programmed to recognize partner elites (we NWA Elites are still partners in the computers minds)...thus you can't access the elite seats...call, DL res can override this....(it's a PITA)

ResSalesGuy Sep 3, 2009 1:51 pm

I knew this about Orbitz...we used to own part of them...But, I think a major difference is that now the people at Orbitz are overseas and can only answer questions from a script...there is not alot of training.....We have the same issues with training, but its not the norm among our agents.....I get calls every day from Orbitz and they are all the same.....thats why we add an addl 50 usd fee to assist with any Orbitz bkng....their agents are generally not very experienced or skilled

Kwaj boy Sep 4, 2009 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by socrates (Post 12327553)
FYI NWA.com's backend booking engine is orbitz

The issues with the DL seat map is DLMatic isn't programmed to recognize partner elites (we NWA Elites are still partners in the computers minds)...thus you can't access the elite seats...call, DL res can override this....(it's a PITA)

Odd...I've never had that problem. delta.com recognizes my NW status and I can get any seat I want...no problem. For that matter, I've accessed exit seats on delta.com using my Continental plat status as well.

vijayp Sep 4, 2009 1:48 pm

Recently, I flew a LGA-MSP-SFO (on nw) SFO-JFK (on dl) round trip on the same 012 ticket. On my NWA flights the upgrades processed normally, but on the DL, I was on the "waiting list" for a while, supposedly, but never cleared. At the airport, they had a new seat in F waiting for me, but I still got a 1000 mile "sorry we didn't upgrade you" award. Something isn't working quite right ...

sryan2k1 Sep 4, 2009 3:58 pm

Codeshare flights are perpetually broken, avoid it if at all possible. Booking a 012 ticket on a DL Coded/Operated flight = Fine, Booking a 006 ticket on a DL Coded/Operated flight = Fine

006 on a NW Codeshare, or a 012 on a DL Codeshare and you are in for a world of hurt.

Always try and get a DL operated/coded flight on a 012 ticket over a NW codeshare if you want any hope for the upgrade to go right.

It sounds like you would have much better luck booking the travel yourself, but I know that isn't always an option at every company :(

SkyTeam777 Dec 7, 2009 3:56 pm

I understand integration issues, but when phone agents hands are tied (I even tried calling the Chisolm lined and was met with a very curt agent) it's frustrating. Im waiting on an upgrade to clear (inventory is available for first segment of a through flight), and agents are saying the computer is "trying to upgrade me" but I have to wait until the airport if it cant upgrade me before then. Im less than five days out, inventory is there, but the computer is not "trying" very hard because it wont process. Agents are of no help. My question is: how often does the computer "try" to upgrade pax...does it roll a search every 12 hours or so? or is it only once at the 5,3,1 day windows?