Best 747 WBC seats for 2 pax + infant

Old Sep 2, 09, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Best 747 WBC seats for 2 pax + infant

I have an upcoming flight on the NRT-LAX route in WBC with my family and while I would love to book a separate seat for our 4 month old, that isnt in the financial cards.

My TA confirmed that the loads for this flight are REALLY light up front, so we have lots of options. Right now I have us in 73A/B, but row 1 is open (but not sure there is a bassinet mount here) as is the ENTIRE cabin where the seats are 2x3x2 across. Although I would love to sit upstairs, I wonder if the best approach isn't to grab the bulkhead row of the x3x seats, taking the two aisles and hoping that the middle seat goes empty. My daighter is already well travelled and a great sleeper on planes, so all she really needs is a place to sleep, not sure if her own seat will be any better than the bassinet.

Any thoughts from others with experience?
Old Sep 2, 09, 10:00 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I have no problems with pax traveling with infants in business class (though I am sure you will get an earful).

And often as a single traveler I book a window seat in a bank of three where the aisle is already taken so the middle seat hopefully remains empty. But that is without a travel companion and more importantly, without an infant.

But I think you are taking things to the limit by booking two aisles with a bassinet seat and leaving the middle seat free. I guess your rationale could be "I don't want anyone else to be inconvenienced by our baby so therefore this gives the greatest possibility of that." But that rationale goes down the drain since you said she is well-traveled and a great sleeper. If you end up with this option, I suggest that you book the aisle and middle seat.
Old Sep 2, 09, 11:23 am

Get out the flamethrower....

As somebody who has both flown with my own small children, and flown with the kids of others I have a few thoughts....

First, I think we can all agree that flying over the pacific, there is often a lot of turbulence, and occasionally turbulence that is strong enough to cause serious injury and death - to adults, let alone infants. And that turbulence can sometimes be unexpected.

Second, the safest place on a plane for an infant or adult is belted into a seat. No questions on that.

If your top concern is the safety of your child, and can't afford three WBC seats, I would recommend that you trade in your 2 WBC seats, and get 3 in coach, probably with money left over.

But if your own comfort is a higher priority than the safety of your child, stay where you are, and hope that at the moment that severe and unexpected turbulence (possibly) strikes, your child is not just laying in the bassinet, or you have not fallen asleep with the baby just laying on your lap. But we also know that severe turbulence is out of the ordinary, and you'll probably be fine.

Life is a series of choices for you to make. Choose wisely. I am being a bit of a smart ... here, but not really....

My choice when flying with my kids, was to always make sure they had a seat of their own (and a car seat in it when they were infants). I just felt better about it that way.
Old Sep 2, 09, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Mike- there is nothing in your post even close to responsive to my request. Not sure why you felt a need to get up on your soapbox here, I guess the only thing I can be thankful for is that you didn't editorialize about having my "crying" infant in WBC, disturbing the other paying passengers.

For what it's worth, I've flown transpacs for my job on a dizzying pace, and your comment that "occasionally turbulence that is strong enough to cause serious injury and death " is without any basis in fact. While I will concede that the air in between MNL and NRT can be rough, the actual incidence of injury on even that route is nowhere even near "ocassional." While I have certainly had some bumps over the N Pacific, I would say the incidence of severe, risk causing turbulence are even lower than what have experienced in the MNL area.

Finally, you completely disregard what I'm asking for here, including my comment that I might actually be able to wind up with 3 seats accross in the back WBC cabin on the 747 because this plane is nearly empty up front. Your sole point here seems to be to try to make me sound like somone who puts their comfort first, with great risk to an infant, I'm not sure that's a proper use of FT.

Originally Posted by mikelevitt View Post
As somebody who has both flown with my own small children, and flown with the kids of others I have a few thoughts....

First, I think we can all agree that flying over the pacific, there is often a lot of turbulence, and occasionally turbulence that is strong enough to cause serious injury and death - to adults, let alone infants. And that turbulence can sometimes be unexpected.

Second, the safest place on a plane for an infant or adult is belted into a seat. No questions on that.

If your top concern is the safety of your child, and can't afford three WBC seats, I would recommend that you trade in your 2 WBC seats, and get 3 in coach, probably with money left over.

But if your own comfort is a higher priority than the safety of your child, stay where you are, and hope that at the moment that severe and unexpected turbulence (possibly) strikes, your child is not just laying in the bassinet, or you have not fallen asleep with the baby just laying on your lap. But we also know that severe turbulence is out of the ordinary, and you'll probably be fine.

Life is a series of choices for you to make. Choose wisely. I am being a bit of a smart ... here, but not really....

My choice when flying with my kids, was to always make sure they had a seat of their own (and a car seat in it when they were infants). I just felt better about it that way.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Having actually done this I can offer some advice. The bassinet is really handy to have with the caveat the NW absolutely will NOT allow you to use if the seatbelt sign is on. The FAs WILL check. So, if there is any turbulance you will have take your child out- perhaps after they have just settled down for a long nap. On the other hand, if there isn't it works out really nicely. If you want to sleep, you might actually find other options easier- because the bassinet is actually not that deep and the cover not that secure. I felt like we had to keep watching our daughter to make sure she didn't squirm out of there.

I think there is nothing wrong with hoping there will be an empty seat and bringing along a FAA approved car seat to use in it. FAs may even be willing to re-arrange the cabin if another seat is empty. If someone takes the middle seat, you can always ask to switch so you and S.O. are together. With a baby, I doubt anyone would turn you down. I have been able to use an empty seat in F several times. FAs have not had a problem with this- in fact they have actually asked me if I wanted to use it on several flights. On others I have had to ask.

Ok, what other options are there if the bassinet doesn't work and you don't have the seat:

> I have used the baby b'air and really like it. It allows you to breast feed on take off and landing while still having the child secure. (Not sure if you are doing that, but I will throw that out). Note however, that you are actually only supposed to use the baby b'air once at cruising altitude, so you might have an FA challenge you (I never did).

> You can use a wrap like the moby wrap, sling, or a baby bjorn (or even the Baby b'air though that doesn't work as well- prevents disaster, but still requires you to hold the child) while you are at cruising altitude to keep the baby from slipping out of your tired hands. Baby can sleep comfortably and snuggly on mommy or daddy's chest. Even with our 18 month old on a recent flight from NRT to MSP in business I found that she kept slipping on me due to the incline of the seat. I didn't get much (any) sleep and was pretty worn out when I arrived. (She developed a fever after take off and wanted to snuggle with Mommy). I hadn't followed my own advice, so I didn't have anything that I could use.

> If there are open economy seats you MIGHT (or might not) be able to use two of those during take off and landing and use your car seat.

> I have used a boppy on the plane and my daughter slept on that while hooked up to the baby b'air. There are even inflatable boppy type pillows.

Turbulence can be severe on rare occassions. I have experienced it. Odds are everything will be fine, but for the planes that hit it their probability is 1 (100%) At least consider spending the $20 to buy a Baby b'air so you have something to use should you need it.

Search this Thread