Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW DCA DTW fares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

NW DCA DTW fares

I have been flying between DCA and DTW for 20 years. Before US Airways started flying the route, fares were high but came down to between 200 and 400 for non-Saturday stays once competition was introduced.

I was booking my next flight on that route for four weeks from now and the fare (with taxes) is over $700! I this what we can expect from Delta or is there something else going on. (US AIrways fares for the same days were around $200).
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:30 pm

I buy 15-20 DCA-DTW tickets a year and while prices have increased somewhat, they have not gone up dramatically for advance purchase tickets. Years past I would typically pay 119-139 for a K fare with 14-21 day advance purchase requirement. Now these same tickets are 179-199 most of the time. One thing I have noticed is that Delta dramatically increased their last minute fares. For as long as I can remember, you could buy a ticket a day or so before departure for mid 300's in Q, now it looks like the cheapest is nearly 800 in M. It also looks like Delta has put a Saturday night stay requirement, so now that blows up a ticket to mid 400's.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: SM dirt, UA dirt, US Gold
I have noticed a sharp rise on that route as well, but much better pricing on DTW BWI. Sad, I like DCA.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Book DTW to BWI. When checking in, you will (most probably) be given standby options that include flights into DCA. Its happened to me both the times I flew this route, earlier in the year.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by humanoid94
One thing I have noticed is that Delta dramatically increased their last minute fares. For as long as I can remember, you could buy a ticket a day or so before departure for mid 300's in Q, now it looks like the cheapest is nearly 800 in M. It also looks like Delta has put a Saturday night stay requirement, so now that blows up a ticket to mid 400's.
Delta does seem to have managed to prop up fares and keep them higher for those who cannot plan 14-21+ days compared to other US airlines. Fortunately other airlines -- like AA -- have decided to be more creative with the fare pricing in the 3-14 day window such that consumers can manage to get better deals in that narrower window than was the case a couple of years ago as long as the customers are flexible.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Just goes to show you

Thank for the replies. I waited until today and checked the idential itinerary again and guess what, I got the flights, including taxes for $150!! We all know it doesn't make sense, but this seems a bit ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.