Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

will there be a ceremony for the last Northwest flight?

Old Aug 31, 09, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: I miss NW, TW

I happened to be at a nearby gate for a few inaugural NW flights. This weekend, I probably took my last NW flight, assuming they will be gone by year's end. Thought to myself "goodbye NW".
Old Aug 31, 09, 3:40 pm

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Originally Posted by TWA A380 View Post
Thought to myself "goodbye NW".
It's that "good riddance NWA" ? Or, "I'm gonna miss you NWA, too bad you're morphing into Delta"....
Old Aug 31, 09, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by TWA A380 View Post
I happened to be at a nearby gate for a few inaugural NW flights. This weekend, I probably took my last NW flight, assuming they will be gone by year's end. Thought to myself "goodbye NW".
There was a thread about this earlier in the year speculating what would be the last NW flight and whether DL would do anything special for it. Throw me in the camp of "I hope DL does something big about it" and lets us, especially us FT'ers, know in advance, so we could perhaps do something big about it as well.
Old Aug 31, 09, 3:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: I miss NW, TW
One passenger, an old lady, thought that the Northwest name was better.

One of my recent flights was on N501US, a 757-200 from 1985, possibly the first one. Nice to be on that one. I've seen the first NW A320 but haven't been on it for over a decade.

edit: google says that the first NW A320 has been retired.

Originally Posted by gnp001 View Post
It's that "good riddance NWA" ? Or, "I'm gonna miss you NWA, too bad you're morphing into Delta"....
Northwest was my 3rd tier of airlines. 1st tier is the exceptional, 2nd the really good ones. 3rd is the ordinary ones that I like. (4th is slight dislike, 5the worst than that). To me NW is tier 3, Delta is tier 4.

Last edited by slippahs; Aug 31, 09 at 3:53 pm Reason: merged two consecutive posts
Old Aug 31, 09, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by gnp001 View Post
Couldn't it just be "goodbye NW"?
Old Aug 31, 09, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, etc.
I have a feeling that given the magnitude of this merger the actual 'end' of NW will be a bit fuzzy for some time. A lot of NW planes have DL external livery and the interiors are slowly migrating but some things take a long time to die. If you look at some planes you can still find Republic markings for instance.

For flyertalkers I guess the 'good bye' will be the end of Sep DO - see the sticky at the top of the forum for the pointer.
Old Aug 31, 09, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
what republic markings still exist (not skeptical but curious)?
Old Sep 1, 09, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice View Post
what republic markings still exist (not skeptical but curious)?
I've seen a few small metal plates on boarding doors, jetways, that sort of thing. They are rather small and usually those little plates that are bolted on so it was probably left as too hard to remove for such a little thing. Just something you see when you're stuck in line on a jetbridge.
Old Sep 1, 09, 10:26 am

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Originally Posted by pmaddock View Post
They are rather small and usually those little plates that are bolted on so it was probably left as too hard to remove for such a little thing. .
They probably aren't too hard to remove, but the screw that holds them on holds the plane together!
Old Sep 2, 09, 7:35 am

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Interesting. I always like looking for the metal plates on some AA and DL MD-80s that say DC-9-80 on them...
Old Sep 2, 09, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM/2.8 MM; Hertz PC; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Rewards Silver
I Saw a North Central Momento Earlier This Year

Originally Posted by pmaddock View Post
I've seen a few small metal plates on boarding doors, jetways, that sort of thing. They are rather small and usually those little plates that are bolted on so it was probably left as too hard to remove for such a little thing. Just something you see when you're stuck in line on a jetbridge.
I was in MEM waiting for a flight, and I saw a DC-9 newly painted in Delta's colors, and the tail number included the letters NC.

When I was a teenager living near Muskegon and Grand Rapids in the 1960s, the "Blue Goose" was a part of our lives.
Old Sep 10, 09, 12:14 am

Programs: DELTA
Talking The Itinerary

To the OP: Yes, there will be. All PE's will be invited to ATL to attend a special lineup next to the approach to the gate and throw rice and bird seed at Doug and Richard as they head down the gangway to board the last Red Tail NW flight which will take them from ATL to MSP to SFO. From there, they will disembark and be whisked away to downtown San Francisco so they can head on over to Macy's and pick out a new china pattern to be used in FC and BC going forward.

-A

Last edited by Poopdeck90210; Sep 11, 09 at 2:37 am
Old Sep 10, 09, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL 2 Million Miler/Diamond; UA 1K Premier; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold; National Executive Elite
The latest information coming out of flight ops is the single operating certificate (SOC) should be complete the last week of December. However due to the holiday travel period, DL will wait until the first week of January to merge Northwest's certificate into Delta's. At this point Northwest will cease to exists as a certified, recognized airline by the federal government. To me - this will conclude the ultimate last NW flight.

Search this Thread