Seat assignments for NW award on Korean Air

Old Aug 31, 09, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Ambassador Spire, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Seat assignments for NW award on Korean Air

Hi all,

I snagged a business class award on Korean Air to BKK using my NWA miles awhile back and I'm trying to figure out how to get seat assignments for the flight. It's still over 90 days out, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

The NWA site says I will be unable to request a seat assignment on codeshare flights. Does this mean I have to wait and get a seat assignment when I check in at the airport? Is it worth calling to try and get one now?

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 09, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Do you have the Korean Air confirmation code (not the NW confirmation code). You can call Korean Air reservations and give them the confirmation code and they can help you select seats over the phone.
Old Aug 31, 09, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Do you have the Korean Air confirmation code (not the NW confirmation code). You can call Korean Air reservations and give them the confirmation code and they can help you select seats over the phone.
Agreed here. Call KE with the KW confirmation code (it's a 7 digit number) and ask for seat assignments. There's no 90 day seat assignment limitation, and there is also no premium seating that's blocked off for SkyTeam elites (or even Morning Calm elites). So it's in your best interest to call ASAP.

FWIW, you can also do OLCI on KE's website, even if you're not banking your miles to a KE account. To do this, you must have a KE mileage account. Log in with that account. Then enter in your KE confirmation # on the OLCI page and you should be good to go.
Old Aug 31, 09, 3:17 pm

Programs: NW Silver, WN
You don't even need the confirmation code, back in May I was able to call and by just telling them the flight/date/my name they were able to help me choose seats over the phone. At the same time they can give you the KE confirmation code, which it can't hurt to have.
Old Aug 31, 09, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Ambassador Spire, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the tips... I called Korean and was able to get seat assignments.
Old Aug 31, 09, 4:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I recently flew KE on a biz award and did not have a seat assignment. The result was when I checked in, they moved me up to F.
Old Jan 3, 10, 3:29 pm

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Originally Posted by LucWise View Post
I recently flew KE on a biz award and did not have a seat assignment. The result was when I checked in, they moved me up to F.
Ohhhh, nice. I have 5 KE segs on an award coming up & didn't call for seats till yesterday. I was on hold so long, I hung up. Maybe I'll get lucky & get bumped to F too.
Old Feb 7, 10, 6:01 pm

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Originally Posted by LucWise View Post
Originally Posted by boxo View Post
Ohhhh, nice. I have 5 KE segs on an award coming up & didn't call for seats till yesterday. I was on hold so long, I hung up. Maybe I'll get lucky & get bumped to F too.
They gave me 1A on KE ICN-NRT-LAX. Great opportunity / experience in the 777 sleeper suite. (And it's true what they say - KE keeps the cabin very, very warm.)

Search this Thread