NW Upgrade/Standby List

 
Old Aug 29, 09, 11:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, National Executive, SPG Gold
Posts: 32
NW Upgrade/Standby List

The wife and I just got our SE status. Upon checking in to our next flight, I found that we are not on the upgrade/standby list... not sure what's going on. I'm trying to call an agent and have been on hold for 40 min now! Unfortunately I haven't received my elite status card so I don't know the elite service phone number! Would someone be so kind as to PM me the number? Thanks!!

Ed
edtang is offline  
Old Aug 29, 09, 11:19 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OMA / MUC
Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Posts: 999
Silver Elites do not have access to the Gold and Platinum phone line at NW, which goes to Chisholm, MN, during most hours, and to Seattle Res. Center in the overnight hours.

Whenever you do get someone to answer, just have your WP numbers removed and re-entered and you will get your new status added to that reservation. Then you will get on the stand-by list for a BF upgrade. But don't hold your breath, as SE's do not enjoy a high % of upgrades anymore!
mrcimino1 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 09, 11:23 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, National Executive, SPG Gold
Posts: 32
Thanks for the tip... I'm still on hold (it's been over an hour!). I'll have them remove and readd the WP # to my reservation.
edtang is offline  
Old Aug 29, 09, 11:31 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Posts: 15,590
Originally Posted by edtang View Post
Thanks for the tip... I'm still on hold (it's been over an hour!). I'll have them remove and readd the WP # to my reservation.
Just for future reference, the elite toll number that's publicly available on nwa.com is 1-218-254-7725.
slippahs is offline  
Old Aug 30, 09, 2:26 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,417
Did u check the add to upgrade list option when u check in online?
hw711 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 09, 9:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BWI
Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 730
Originally Posted by edtang View Post
Thanks for the tip... I'm still on hold (it's been over an hour!). I'll have them remove and readd the WP # to my reservation.
I'm a SE, and I think there have only been a one or two legs this year (out of 14) where F was available (non RJ) and I wan't upgraded.

Always a pleasant surprise for me, though.
pokeable is offline  
Old Aug 30, 09, 4:00 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DTW/FNT
Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Posts: 4,776
Originally Posted by edtang View Post
The wife and I just got our SE status. Upon checking in to our next flight, I found that we are not on the upgrade/standby list... not sure what's going on. ...

Ed
It may have been full by the time you checked in...

Bob H
BobH is offline  
Old Aug 30, 09, 10:10 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, National Executive, SPG Gold
Posts: 32
Thanks for the suggestions guys, removing my WP number and readding it did the trick. After that I was automatically added to the upgrade standby list. The CSR knew exactly what I wad talking about.

Unfortunately I think I was to slow, by the time I was added I was 16/16... Needless to say I wasn't upgraded.

I just got home after a week long vacation/pseudo MR with the wife. DTW-ATL-SJC-ATL-IAH-ATL-SJC,SFO-DTW. I got a 30 day pass to the skyclub and visited a bunch of them. In ATL, terminal E lounge is the best, they've got great food! The DTW lounge is nice too, with showers available. But in general the continental presidents clubs are much nicer than the skyclub lounges.
edtang is offline  
Old Aug 31, 09, 3:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DTW
Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by edtang View Post
Unfortunately I think I was to slow, by the time I was added I was 16/16... Needless to say I wasn't upgraded.

I could be wrong but I don't believe the time you get on the list effects position, it's calculated other ways.

A friend and I were flying back from SNA, and when we got to SLC I was #2 on the UG list, and he wasen't on the list for some odd reason (Same PNR, same elite levels) so the GA added him, and he knocked me out of #2, and there only ended up being two F seats. *shakes fist*
sryan2k1 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 09, 4:30 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 8,171
Originally Posted by sryan2k1 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't believe the time you get on the list effects position, it's calculated other ways.

A friend and I were flying back from SNA, and when we got to SLC I was #2 on the UG list, and he wasen't on the list for some odd reason (Same PNR, same elite levels) so the GA added him, and he knocked me out of #2, and there only ended up being two F seats. *shakes fist*
NW & DL do battlefield (in other words, at airport) upgrades differently. DL does not use time of check-in as any qualifer in where you appear on the upgrade list. NW does.

On DL, as you experienced, their criteria for at-airport upgrade position is elite level followed by fare class followed by time of upgrade request. Time of upgrade request is generally the same time you purchased your ticket. So it sounds like your friend's ticket was processed first when the two tickets were purchased under the same PNR.

-RM
RobOnLI is offline  
Old Aug 31, 09, 6:46 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 17,162
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
NW & DL do battlefield (in other words, at airport) upgrades differently. DL does not use time of check-in as any qualifer in where you appear on the upgrade list. NW does.

On DL, as you experienced, their criteria for at-airport upgrade position is elite level followed by fare class followed by time of upgrade request. Time of upgrade request is generally the same time you purchased your ticket. So it sounds like your friend's ticket was processed first when the two tickets were purchased under the same PNR.

-RM
In this case, I doubt the OP had they been faster would have gotten the UG. With 16 on the list, expect the top 2/3 be plats, next 3-5 as golds, and rest silvers. Likely only the plats got the UG if they were lucky.
mnredfox is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread