Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

2010 SkyMiles Benefits Mailer - If You Mention it Enough, It's Got to be True!

Old Aug 28, 09, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion

My SE roommate and I (a GE) both received letters from Delta today describing the "benefits" that will come from the 2010 medallion program. In addition to a shiny brochure introducing the program, a letter from our BFF Jeff was included.

In the six paragraph letter, there were no fewer than 7 (seven!) "industry leading" and "best in class" references. Therefore, I'm led to the conclusion that if Delta repeats it enough, it must come true.
Old Aug 28, 09, 4:56 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by n301dp View Post
My SE roommate and I (a GE) both received letters from Delta today describing the "benefits" that will come from the 2010 medallion program. In addition to a shiny brochure introducing the program, a letter from our BFF Jeff was included.

In the six paragraph letter, there were no fewer than 7 (seven!) "industry leading" and "best in class" references. Therefore, I'm led to the conclusion that if Delta repeats it enough, it must come true.
They should be sued for false advertising

They are certainly "best in class" - a big huge class below all other major airlines in the US
Old Aug 28, 09, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold
Hey when you are the only one in your class, you can really be anything you want, can't you.
Old Aug 29, 09, 12:15 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Thumbs down One of the most disingenious and spinned marketing letters I've ever received

One of the most disingenious and spinned marketing letters I've ever received ... note the word "Current" yea, it's all current coz they slashed the WP program in the past 6 mo.... I'm surprised they didn't use "exciting"

The new program will be the best-in-class loyalty program in the industry and it will retain all of the features of the current WorldPerks and SkyMiles programs...
Old Aug 29, 09, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Not even true...

The platinum companion upgrade is being eliminated from the CURRENT Worldperks program.

PerkChoice is being eliminated from the CURRENT WorldPerks program.

For some period of time, upgrades on award tickets are being eliminated from the CURRENT WorldPerks program.

Ability to fly now for any flight that day anytime that day is being eliminated from the CURRENT WorldPerks program.
Old Aug 29, 09, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.3 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
The platinum companion upgrade is being eliminated from the CURRENT Worldperks program.

For some period of time, upgrades on award tickets are being eliminated from the CURRENT WorldPerks program.

Ability to fly now for any flight that day anytime that day is being eliminated from the CURRENT WorldPerks program.
+1
Old Aug 29, 09, 3:04 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Best in class? Yeah, maybe kindergarten class.

But only because they have been held back to repeat it 4 times.
Old Aug 29, 09, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post

Oh, SHOOT! Somehow I missed that PerkChoice is being eliminated. There are so many benefit eliminations - it does make you realize how well we had it with the NWA program.

I liked to occasionally do the PerkChoice option to use miles one way, often WBC and purchase a fare the other way, so I could still earn some miles on a trip. I think I may send a TTU on this benefit being eliminated.

PerkChoice became more useful when Delta did away with reasonable NWA B & M TATL fares where you could buy a higher priced coach ticket, use miles to upgrade, but still earn EQMs.

Delta just keeps making it harder and harder in so many ways. Why would they eliminate this option?
Old Aug 29, 09, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Originally Posted by sryan2k1 View Post
Hey when you are the only one in your class, you can really be anything you want, can't you.
Not only that, but they can also be the world's "premier" global airline because that's a distinction you can't disprove!

I'm still wondering when/how they're going to determine Million Milers when they merge the program. The brochure indicated that they plan to keep that feature. I should be able to get it on 55% DL/45% NW (spanning 17 years) UNLESS they count it in some new way as to give people the shaft (odds of which are alarming). Would think most newly minted MillionMilers would be NW hub-captives and really wouldn't dilute the thing at all, but maybe they fear there are more people out there like me who have to be stopped at all costs.

Without MM, I'm hard-pressed to name a real advantage to me from having a full merger.
Old Aug 30, 09, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Don't forget the PE UG guarantee too.

Another best of both and best in class.
Old Sep 2, 09, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Dear RealDLInsider: exactly why should NW elites move to DL?

Dear RealDLInsider:

Today, I received your gushing letter and brochure that on the surface made it seem like my transition from WorldPerks to SkyMiles was one of the best things to ever happen.

However, from what I've read here on FlyerTalk I know that elites are actually loosing many "perks" of loyalty:
  • Award change fees (even if destination remains the same, but better routing opens up) [from unlimited to 2 for Plats]
  • Fee for Platinums to book close-in rewards
  • 125% Platinum bonus ---> 100%
  • 50% Silver bonus ---> 25%
  • Loss of Alaska Airlines Upgrades (until exactly when?)
  • Inferior website to nwa.com, real loss of features such as;
  • Loss of PerkChoice
  • Many merged airports no longer have people or lanes that handle NW elites
  • Much weaker EliteExtra Perks threashold (ie: no more SWU's on any fare)
  • a Diamond program that basically restores NW Platinum benefits for 50K more EQM
  • Reductions in SkyClub amenities from what WorldClub provided
  • No more Debit or VISA card options, only AMEX
So I ask you to skip the insulting letter mumbojumbo; please be honest and explain exaclty why NW Elite members should make the transition to Delta & SkyMiles?

Thanks in advance for a plain language response!

Old Sep 2, 09, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When someone sends you a letter like that, just imagine a sleazy used car salesman, with a huge smile on his face, and a bottle of lube in his hand. Someone is getting screwed, and it's not him.
Old Sep 2, 09, 1:05 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
  • No more Debit or VISA card options, only AMEX
One correction, at least for some of us.
Old Sep 2, 09, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by ADLFO View Post
One correction, at least for some of us.
From your link: The SunTrust SkyMiles® Check Cards are issued by SunTrust Banks, Inc., and the cards are available in AL, AR, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, WV, VA and DC.

Sounds like Delta country to me, nothing "Northwest"
Old Sep 2, 09, 1:19 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
From your link: The SunTrust SkyMiles® Check Cards are issued by SunTrust Banks, Inc., and the cards are available in AL, AR, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, WV, VA and DC.

Sounds like Delta country to me, nothing "Northwest"
Oh, it isn't even DL country; nothing for hubs OH or KY (CVG), UT (SLC), or even for the large markets of NY, NJ, CT (JFK), or CA (LAX).

Search this Thread