FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Upgrade for wife's award ticket bought w/my miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/989594-upgrade-wifes-award-ticket-bought-w-my-miles.html)

william6248 Aug 28, 2009 1:45 pm

Upgrade for wife's award ticket bought w/my miles?

My wife and I are flying into Calgary, I am NW gold elite, she has no status. Her ticket was purchased with my miles. I have already been upgraded and three days out there are 10 seats still available in first class. Does she has a shot at an upgrade if there are still seats open 24 hours out?

I called elite line and asked about a miles upgrade and they wanted 104.00 for the change of ticket. Was considering asking at gate for an upgrade, is there another way to get her in first?

Thanks

fti Aug 28, 2009 2:01 pm

No companion UG's on award tickets - that has been a long-standing rule. Once a GA upgraded a companion with me, but that was once. Not done on the return nor any time before or since. You certainly can't expect it.

$104 to get her into first doesn't sound bad actually.

mnredfox Aug 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 12297376)
No companion UG's on award tickets - that has been a long-standing rule. Once a GA upgraded a companion with me, but that was once. Not done on the return nor any time before or since. You certainly can't expect it.

$104 to get her into first doesn't sound bad actually.

With exception of PE's. A PE and companion on an award will be UG'd at the 1 day window after SE. The good news is that if it goes to BF UG and no EUA for silvers, you can jump ahead of them on the WL.

This will all of course go away soon with the merger.

avidflyer Aug 28, 2009 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by william6248 (Post 12297306)
My wife and I are flying into Calgary, I am NW gold elite, she has no status. Her ticket was purchased with my miles. I have already been upgraded and three days out there are 10 seats still available in first class. Does she has a shot at an upgrade if there are still seats open 24 hours out?

I called elite line and asked about a miles upgrade and they wanted 104.00 for the change of ticket. Was considering asking at gate for an upgrade, is there another way to get her in first?

Thanks

$104 is a good deal. You will not get a gate UG for a companion as a gold no matter how many seats are open.

kss5555 Aug 29, 2009 10:51 am

As a gold, I am 4 for 6 in companion upgrades at the gate since March 1st, the new year for elite benefits, and one of them the companion was on an award ticket W class. Successful on DTW-ORD, DTW-SAT, SAT-DTW and MYR-DTW, unsuccessful on DTW-LAS (first class full so it probably was not going to work) and DTW-MYR (went out with empty seats, so that was not the reason).

Just ask at the gate, tell them you want a space available companion UG, many of the gate agents in DTW still do not know of the rule changes. My brother, also a gold elite who travels 2 or 3 times a month on DTW-BWI or DTW-IAD has been even more sucessful then me on getting co-workers upgraded at the gate, more so in DTW then BWI or IAD.

fti Aug 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 12298679)
With exception of PE's. A PE and companion on an award will be UG'd at the 1 day window after SE. The good news is that if it goes to BF UG and no EUA for silvers, you can jump ahead of them on the WL.

This will all of course go away soon with the merger.

I beg to differ with you. Well, NW differs with you:

http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/...ksAwardsTicket

Platinum Elite Confirmed Companion Upgrade
Platinum Elites will be able to upgrade one companion booked within the same reservation at the same time the Platinum Elite upgrade is processed. Upgrades will be accommodated via the automated upgrade process. Platinum Elite Companion Upgrade is valid on Northwest-operated flights only, and is permitted in the same travel region as the WorldPerks Elite Upgrades. Award tickets are not eligible for Platinum Elite Companion.

That is not to say companions on award tickets are never UG'd, but it is not official policy.

william6248 Sep 3, 2009 6:02 pm

My wife was ultimately upgraded 24 hours out.

Thanks