Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Elite Upgrades: Am I lucky, or is this normal?

Elite Upgrades: Am I lucky, or is this normal?

 
Old Aug 28, 09, 9:35 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: DCA
Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 554
Elite Upgrades: Am I lucky, or is this normal?

I recently earned Silver Elite on Northwest and (so far) have received first class upgrades 100% of the time (8/8). My flights have been primarily Sundays: MSP>SEA and Fridays: SEA>MSP. I also have one Sunday: MSP>MDW, and one Sunday: MSP>EWR. All fare were cheapest possible (not priceline cheap, but not full Y either). And most booked between 1-4 weeks before departure.

So my question is, am I just lucky enough to be picking routes that are elite light, or is this a common success rate for all Silvers? Also, I am a little over 6,000 EQM from Gold, if I am just experiencing a little luck, is there a significant upgrade difference once gold?

BTW: I just got a text about today’s EWR>MSP flight: "F class full/Standby full"
Janus is offline  
Old Aug 28, 09, 10:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,417
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
I recently earned Silver Elite on Northwest and (so far) have received first class upgrades 100% of the time (8/8). My flights have been primarily Sundays: MSP>SEA and Fridays: SEA>MSP. I also have one Sunday: MSP>MDW, and one Sunday: MSP>EWR. All fare were cheapest possible (not priceline cheap, but not full Y either). And most booked between 1-4 weeks before departure.

So my question is, am I just lucky enough to be picking routes that are elite light, or is this a common success rate for all Silvers? Also, I am a little over 6,000 EQM from Gold, if I am just experiencing a little luck, is there a significant upgrade difference once gold?

BTW: I just got a text about today’s EWR>MSP flight: "F class full/Standby full"
Don't know about the other routes but Sunday MSP->MDW is REALLY easy to get upgraded on. Often time, there are empty seats in F even after all the elites are upgraded. Sometimes I'd get in MSP early enough to run to catch the flight before my schedule flight (ie showing up at the gate 10 minutes before take off) and I'm still 100% on that route on Sundays.

Monday morning first MSP->MDW flight is a totally different story. I have yet to be upgraded on that flight.

But generally speaking (random routes over long period of time), I'd say SE get upgraded about 50% of the time and GE gets upgraded about 75% of the time. I'll let you know how PE is like in 2 weeks.
hw711 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 09, 10:25 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Washington, D.C.
Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Posts: 4,586
You've been incredibly lucky, I'd say. Minnie-SEA is very elite-heavy, and looks like you'e flying busy times.

Gold should definitely help.
Alpha Golf is offline  
Old Aug 28, 09, 2:06 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DTW
Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold
Posts: 92
It's just based on the routes you fly and the times you fly them, when I was silver (and gold now) everywhere I go besides LAX I've seen almost a 90% UG rate.
sryan2k1 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 09, 2:26 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: St. Paul, MN
Programs: DL DM 4.3 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,547
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf View Post
You've been incredibly lucky, I'd say. Minnie-SEA is very elite-heavy, and looks like you'e flying busy times.

Gold should definitely help.
Unless Alpha Golf is buying Y fares then I would expect it.
hnewman is offline  
Old Aug 28, 09, 5:51 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,305
MSP-SEA is crazy to get through all the time as a SE. Congrats!
cfischer is offline  
Old Aug 28, 09, 6:07 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Posts: 188
What fare class did you book?
FlyTheFriendlyMonkey is offline  
Old Aug 28, 09, 8:01 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 17,159
Congrats you are lucky, MSP-SEA is elite heavy. MSP-MDW does go out with F empty a lot. Keep that route.
mnredfox is offline  
Old Aug 30, 09, 12:40 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: DCA
Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 554
Originally Posted by FlyTheFriendlyMonkey View Post
What fare class did you book?
Here is the list:
4xQ
3xL
1xH


BTW: what is better for upgrades, MDW or ORD? Destination wise, airport does not matter.

And before anyone gets too envious, my 100% streak is broken, EWR-MSP last Friday, 17 of 19 on the upgrade list. Tomorrow's MSP-EWR is also on the standby list.
Janus is offline  
Old Aug 30, 09, 2:20 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,417
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
BTW: what is better for upgrades, MDW or ORD? Destination wise, airport does not matter.
Probably about the same. I avoid ord like a plague. Mdw is closer to the city and ord's security line takes forever.
hw711 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 09, 9:57 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TPA-MKE-PHX
Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Posts: 1,893
This year has been a bumper year for Silver and Gold upgrades. I would guess that fully 30% or more of my flights go out with empty FC seats. That means it is upgrade time for those who usually sit in the back. I have met a guy who last year never got an upgrade as Silver on the TPA>DTW run. This year he is 5 for 5.

We all know that won't last, but it will last until the economy improves and business travel resumes anything near normal levels.
tvnwz is offline  
Old Aug 30, 09, 10:36 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LAX/BOS/HKG/AMS/SFO...hmm, I need a life.
Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 13,316
Lucky but now you will suffer the FlyerTalk curse. Mention your luck here and it will surely go away just long enough for you to say " I will never open my mouth about UG luck again"
avidflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread