BKK to NRT is a 7 hour ordeal on a 757

Old Aug 28, 09, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
BKK to NRT is a 7 hour ordeal on a 757

I see the smart folks at our newly combined airline have decided to swap the A330 to a 757 from next week

I've been flying that round trip twice monthly for a while but in their wisdom they decided to force me onto another carrier.
I will never do seven hours on a 757
Old Aug 28, 09, 6:20 am

Is that the same 757 from TATL with the WBC-Lite seats? Or the classic Intra-Asia 757 with domestic F style seats?
Old Aug 28, 09, 6:23 am
Suspended

Wasn't the airbus 330 replaced by a 757 a while ago?
Old Aug 28, 09, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
I don't know about that, but I do know that I've been flying on an A330 that route all summer long and that they're crushing it down to a narrow-bodied abomination in some infernal plane-squashy-thing after September 2nd
Old Aug 28, 09, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
it was a 757 last winter/spring as well. still same amount of time though.
Old Aug 28, 09, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by werldporks View Post
I don't know about that, but I do know that I've been flying on an A330 that route all summer long and that they're crushing it down to a narrow-bodied abomination in some infernal plane-squashy-thing after September 2nd
Hmmm. I did not even consider flying to BKK on NW since 757 was introduced on the NRT-BKK route while ago. It's news to me that NRT-BKK was ser ved by a 330 during the summer.
Old Aug 28, 09, 8:03 am

Programs: NW, UA
introduction of 757 and the insane departure time had me quite flying nw on that route for sometime. i do miss some of the thai FAs i've gotten to know though.
Old Aug 28, 09, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta DM
The changed that plane to the 757 last year when the started the plane painting. I was on one of the first flights with this change. I will never forget that night. I was sitting at the gate early waiting for the plane and as I am sitting there, I watch this 757 pull up to the gate. I actually thought I was at the wrong gate, as I fly this route often and know it is the 330 on this route. I went to the GA and inquired about it, and that is what I was told about the painting rotation.

It is absolutely insane to make your customers fly this long in those conditions. The particular flight I was on, it was over 8 hours counting taxi and flight.

Of course it is logical for them, they are bean counters and customer service does not seem to be in their vocabulary. And as a Platinum, there was no change of upgrade since the amount of biz seats are less.

Just another great addition to the worlds premier airline.

We miss you so much NWA.
Old Aug 28, 09, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; AClub, PC Plat; HH, MR Gold
The 757 has been filling in every now and then, but I think only for 4-6 weeks at a time. Not sure why they go back-and-forth. It goes back to an A330 in October IIFR.

For other threads on this topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...re-change.html
and quite a few posts here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...e-changes.html
Old Aug 28, 09, 10:15 am
azj

This is nothing new. They started this earlier this year, with the Atlantic configured 757s. What means... more room in coach (than the 330 even) and modified WBC seats. So it's not as though this flight is on a skanky old domestic 757. However, it does seem a bit crazy to have a 757 on the route when UA flies a 744. It's got to be about yields and revenue. The 757s only make an appearance during what must be slow bookings to BKK.
Old Aug 28, 09, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
I guess I don't see the difference. if your personal space is the same on either one, what is the big difference? Is ther IFE on the 330 thats not on the 757, or some other huge ammenity difference?
Old Aug 28, 09, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner View Post
I guess I don't see the difference. if your personal space is the same on either one, what is the big difference? Is ther IFE on the 330 thats not on the 757, or some other huge ammenity difference?
Honestly, if the seat is the same...I agree. I actually would not be so upset about the plane change itself as much as I would be the time it leaves and the longer flight!
Old Aug 28, 09, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Fly them both, then let us know if YOU think there's a difference.

Seriously, the A330 is head and shoulders above the 757.
Old Aug 29, 09, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
Fly them both, then let us know if YOU think there's a difference.

Seriously, the A330 is head and shoulders above the 757.
Its unlikely i'll be flying a NW or DL A330 anytime soon.
So I'll ask again, how is the A330 that much better than the 757? I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, really don't know.
Old Aug 29, 09, 1:02 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
      • There is no AVOD or in-seat entertainment in 757 economy. It's gonna be a looooong ride!

Search this Thread