FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Sky Club Admittance NW/DL Boarding Pass Requirement (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/989178-sky-club-admittance-nw-dl-boarding-pass-requirement.html)

worldexpress Aug 27, 2009 8:29 am

Sky Club Admittance NW/DL Boarding Pass Requirement

Newly minted SC card just arrived in the mail. On the mailing, it is stated that "... you'll need to present a same-day Northwest or Delta boarding pass each time you stop by, along with your club membership card and a government-issued photo ID."

It appears this is a newly "enhanced" admittance policy, as I've never had to show any boarding pass at any WC/CRC. This is bad news for me as I often use SC while flying with other carriers. I might be seeking a refund for the remaining full three years unless I can obtain clarification that states otherwise.

I am hopeful, as the Sky Club House Rules page on the web does state "Members can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel but such travel may be on any airline." It's still more stringent than the previous no-bp-required rule but would be a workable policy.

BTA Aug 27, 2009 10:29 am

Ugh. I hope this isn't true. I know the ladies at the ORD club as well as any, and I've only used it once flying NW. If this change occurs, I will likely not renew my membership.

I remember one used to have to show a boarding pass at CRC's, but its been several years.

Big :td:

humanoid94 Aug 27, 2009 10:48 am

I hope this is not a stealth change as well. This would dramatically devalue my club membership. Forunately I just have a year membership, but feel for the folks with 3 year and lifetime memberships.

Man I am so fustrated that for since the the merger I have found out about ever major change in NW/DL policies from Flyertalk and not from NW/DL. Folks this is how NOT to communicate with your customers.

Stripe Aug 27, 2009 11:02 am

This would certainly be consistent with the way DL has revealed similar negative changes. And I wouldn't be comforted by the fact that the web site still says "any airline".

Perhaps some folks who are visiting the clubs in the next day or two can ask the agents if they have been informed of the change. It really does devalue the membership.

baccarat0809 Aug 27, 2009 11:07 am

There's ways around it. Just buy the cheapest fully refundable ticket for travel and then get yourself a refund. It's a pain the butt it can be done.

MKEbound Aug 27, 2009 11:13 am

I've been wondering why I've been asked for a boarding pass the last few times I've entered a club. Each time I've been asked I've said "I'm fine with my seats" and walked in with no problems

bonzaiflyer Aug 27, 2009 11:13 am

Originally Posted by humanoid94 (Post 12291406)
feel for the folks with 3 year and lifetime memberships.

Since my lifetime paid for itself many years ago, I'm just busy drinking their booze for free now.:cool:

thezipper Aug 27, 2009 12:26 pm

I just called one of my angels and she said one just needs a BP... on any airline, as the current "house rules" indicate.

I just find that other airlines don't have this restriction, so if I was say... waiting for a friend, I could get a gate pass to wait in the Presidents Club if I was a CO PC member...

Originally Posted by worldexpress (Post 12290749)
Newly minted SC card just arrived in the mail. On the mailing, it is stated that "... you'll need to present a same-day Northwest or Delta boarding pass each time you stop by, along with your club membership card and a government-issued photo ID."

It appears this is a newly "enhanced" admittance policy, as I've never had to show any boarding pass at any WC/CRC. This is bad news for me as I often use SC while flying with other carriers. I might be seeking a refund for the remaining full three years unless I can obtain clarification that states otherwise.

I am hopeful, as the Sky Club House Rules page on the web does state "Members can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel but such travel may be on any airline." It's still more stringent than the previous no-bp-required rule but would be a workable policy.

RCarverJr Aug 27, 2009 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper (Post 12291965)
I just called one of my angels and she said one just needs a BP... on any airline, as the current "house rules" indicate.

Seems a bit odd considering the majority of the SCs are past security, so you'd need a boarding pass to get that far anyway?!? I've been using the new card for a month now, probably 6+ unique SCs visited in that time and not once have they asked for my boarding pass.

bsefton Aug 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Reserve Card?

What are the rules if you have access because of a Reserve Card? Is it the same in that you only have to show a ticket for that day on any airline (assuming the current skyclub rules apply) or does it have to be a DL/NW ticket? I'm based out of MSP so it's not a huge issue beacuse 90% of my travel is NW but it would be a pain for that 10% if I have no access.

jxwolf Aug 27, 2009 3:04 pm

Traveling with my Amex Platinum, I've always had to show my boarding pass, which is usually scanned along with my card.

mersk862 Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper (Post 12291965)

Glad it's still just a BP on any airline - I've got a few round-trips on UA coming up, but there are WCs or PCs at pretty much every airport along the way that are accessible.

Originally Posted by bsefton (Post 12292699)
What are the rules if you have access because of a Reserve Card? Is it the same in that you only have to show a ticket for that day on any airline (assuming the current skyclub rules apply) or does it have to be a DL/NW ticket? I'm based out of MSP so it's not a huge issue beacuse 90% of my travel is NW but it would be a pain for that 10% if I have no access.

Reserve card requires showing a DL/NW BP, as it's not a true SC membership (poor job of marketing the card by saying you get SC access, but not many perks that a SC member has such as partner lounges, etc.).

ggcheckpointline53 Aug 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Different set of rules

Originally Posted by jxwolf (Post 12292714)
Traveling with my Amex Platinum, I've always had to show my boarding pass, which is usually scanned along with my card.

Admittance to an airline lounge with the Amex Platinum is governed by different rules which as far back as I can remember have always required that you have a same-day ticket with the airline operating the lounge.

The OP refers to actual members of the respective lounges.
(AA,CO,DL,NW) In this case:DL/NW.

bdnyc Aug 27, 2009 7:52 pm

Sometimes I use the SC after arriving (landing.) When asked for a BP I tell the agent I'm not departing but just arrived and am using the lounge to wait for friends. They nod me in without needing the BP. They DO scan my card - it's important for them keep track of how many guests they host.

Maybe the BP for departing passengers is simply to let the computer system know you're in the airport. That info would then be available to the gate agent.

Once when I arrived a bit late at a gate for a NW flight, the GA said she knew I was in the lounge. That must have been from my NW World Club card -- NW didn't scan boarding passes at the World Club back then.

tasnam Aug 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by bsefton (Post 12292699)

You must be traveling on DL/NW BP to use the Amex Reserve card to gain entry into SC.

Happened to me @ SAN. Tried to enter with just AMex card - nope need DL/NW BP which I did not since I was on CO metal w/CO BP.

She would not let me in EVEN with the Amex Reserve. I argued and fortunately I have the CO PC membership.

So I checked the AMEX website......sure enough, says access with the Reserve card when traveling on a DL flight......yup even with $395 reserve must be on DL flight!!!! stinks.