Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Connection time and lounge question (MSP & JFK)

Old Aug 26, 09, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Elite, HiltonHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum Royal Ambassador

Original question was posted in Delta forum here - connection time JFK and the answer I received made me look into different connections. So my question to the NW FF experts is. On a WBC award, if I need to spend 5 hours sitting at an airport, should I split it up between MSP and JFK (2 hours and 3 hours) or should I do it all at JFK (by routing through DTW for 30 minutes) International destination is PRG on the 5:05 PM flight out of JFK leaving MSN at around 7 AM, so it's 9 hours total time wheels up at home to wheels up international either way.

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 09, 8:22 am

Programs: NW GE
I would do whichever leaves you more backup flights if you miss your connection to JFK. In your case it seems like this would be the MSN-DTW-JFK option, for a number of reasons. First, there are going to be more DTW-JFK flights in 5 hrs than there are from MSP-JFK in 2 hrs (without looking at the schedules), and also, getting in to JFK earlier is better because if you have a weather delay or ground stop or something, you'll have more padding in the schedule w/ 5 hrs vs 3 hrs. Just make sure there are a couple DTW-JFK flights after your scheduled one, because MSN-DTW-JFK w/ 30 mins in DTW could be tight.
Old Aug 26, 09, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Assuming all goes well and you get to JFK with your full 4-5 hour connection, the Oasis Lounge in T4 is, in my opinion, the best club in the US and where I'd like to spend that time. They have a great selection of drinks, snacks, fruits, cheeses, and crackers, and even warm, small entrees. I was there a few weeks ago and they put out a nice spread of chicken breast in mushroom sauce, rice, and a few soups I believe. Actually tasty.

Leave security at T4 from your NW flight, visit the Oasis lounge, and then about 90 minutes before your flight, take the AirTrain over to T2/T3, re-clear security, and be on your way.

Search this Thread