Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Need help/suggestions with biz/fc award US-LON

Old Aug 25, 09, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

I just found out about a relative's wedding in London, UK. The problem is that it is the last weekend in November.

I don't get to do international travel very often and I've been saving miles for just such an occasion. I'd like to fly business both ways and I only need 1 ticket. I've checked some of the gateway cities to LON and I have found some saver availability. My problem is that I would like to get there before the weekend which puts me right in the Thanksgiving travel period and getting to the gateway doubles the miles.

If I have to, I'll book from the gateway and buy a domestic ticket for the first and, if necessary, last leg of the trip. Before I do that I have a couple of questions.

I know there's a great thread around here somewhere that details various ways of getting from the US-LON through different gateways and different skyteam partners but I just can't seem to locate it. If someone can point me to it that would be great.

Also, if I get lucky enough to have a choice, given that it might be eons before I get to fly international biz again, which airline/aircraft do I shoot for? It seems like the A330 is a safe bet. I saw the post on the DL 767-400 but if I'm not mistaken, the seats on the 767-300 are the older seats, right? What about CO 777's? I know they are scheduled to be upgraded but their website doesn't show any of them done yet.

I realize I could have the best hard product and the worst soft product or vice versa on any airline. If I had to lean one way I'd say I'd rather have a better hard product.

Oh, and if at all possible, I'd like to book through NWA as that's where I have all my miles. I know I can transfer them to DL for the next few days and will if I have to but the taxes/fees still seem a little cheaper on NWA.com vs. DL.com.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Old Aug 25, 09, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
I just found out about a relative's wedding in London, UK. The problem is that it is the last weekend in November.

I don't get to do international travel very often and I've been saving miles for just such an occasion. I'd like to fly business both ways and I only need 1 ticket. I've checked some of the gateway cities to LON and I have found some saver availability. My problem is that I would like to get there before the weekend which puts me right in the Thanksgiving travel period and getting to the gateway doubles the miles.

If I have to, I'll book from the gateway and buy a domestic ticket for the first and, if necessary, last leg of the trip. Before I do that I have a couple of questions.

I know there's a great thread around here somewhere that details various ways of getting from the US-LON through different gateways and different skyteam partners but I just can't seem to locate it. If someone can point me to it that would be great.

Also, if I get lucky enough to have a choice, given that it might be eons before I get to fly international biz again, which airline/aircraft do I shoot for? It seems like the A330 is a safe bet. I saw the post on the DL 767-400 but if I'm not mistaken, the seats on the 767-300 are the older seats, right? What about CO 777's? I know they are scheduled to be upgraded but their website doesn't show any of them done yet.

I realize I could have the best hard product and the worst soft product or vice versa on any airline. If I had to lean one way I'd say I'd rather have a better hard product.

Oh, and if at all possible, I'd like to book through NWA as that's where I have all my miles. I know I can transfer them to DL for the next few days and will if I have to but the taxes/fees still seem a little cheaper on NWA.com vs. DL.com.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Re: Aircraft:
This is very subjective and I am sure I will get shredded but: I actually like the NW lie-almost-flat compared to the New DL lie flats. I am 6' and of large build and the lie-flats are very narrow and the whole cabin feels cramped. Your legs are forced up under the pod in front of you. Some will love them but I will take 1C (extra extra legroom) on a 330 at this point (and do very often ). There is talk of new configurations coming but for now that would be my choice.
Old Aug 26, 09, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
avidflyer thanks for the reply.

I've been using nwa.com to search for flights and have a few questions. Hopefully someone can tell me if this is allowed and/or normal for nwa.com.

I searched for xxx-lhr for a given date. No saver availability in business. I search for DTW-LHR on the same date and there is saver availability in biz via AMS. I search for xxx-DTW and there is saver f/c availability. If I call NWA to book will they be able to combine the domestic and intl portions? Also, if I try to do a multi-city search to get it to come up on nwa.com, the xxx-DTW doesn't come up with saver availability. In fact, it doesn't show half the flights that do come up if I just search xxx-DTW. That's probably a known problem but as I don't do much intl itinerary searching, I've never noticed it before.

Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 09, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by justhere View Post
avidflyer thanks for the reply.

I've been using nwa.com to search for flights and have a few questions. Hopefully someone can tell me if this is allowed and/or normal for nwa.com.

I searched for xxx-lhr for a given date. No saver availability in business. I search for DTW-LHR on the same date and there is saver availability in biz via AMS. I search for xxx-DTW and there is saver f/c availability. If I call NWA to book will they be able to combine the domestic and intl portions? Also, if I try to do a multi-city search to get it to come up on nwa.com, the xxx-DTW doesn't come up with saver availability. In fact, it doesn't show half the flights that do come up if I just search xxx-DTW. That's probably a known problem but as I don't do much intl itinerary searching, I've never noticed it before.

Thanks.
Best to just give them a call - you don't lose anything by trying.
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
At the moment, I have been seeing decent awards, but it is only to AMS. It may be easier/ cheaper to get a ticket to AMS and then catch a train to London.
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
At the moment, I have been seeing decent awards, but it is only to AMS. It may be easier/ cheaper to get a ticket to AMS and then catch a train to London.
I've seen that too regarding AMS and I'm perfectly fine doing that. I have the time and wouldn't mind in the slightest if I had to do it that way. My problem still exists getting to a gateway city. I should be firming up my plans in the next day or two and I'll call NW if I can't do it online.

I'd still like to find that thread that lists various ways of getting from the US to Europe. I think some even involved going through MEX.

Search this Thread