Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Need help/suggestions with biz/fc award US-LON

Need help/suggestions with biz/fc award US-LON

 
Old Aug 25, 09, 7:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 3,080
Need help/suggestions with biz/fc award US-LON

I just found out about a relative's wedding in London, UK. The problem is that it is the last weekend in November.

I don't get to do international travel very often and I've been saving miles for just such an occasion. I'd like to fly business both ways and I only need 1 ticket. I've checked some of the gateway cities to LON and I have found some saver availability. My problem is that I would like to get there before the weekend which puts me right in the Thanksgiving travel period and getting to the gateway doubles the miles.

If I have to, I'll book from the gateway and buy a domestic ticket for the first and, if necessary, last leg of the trip. Before I do that I have a couple of questions.

I know there's a great thread around here somewhere that details various ways of getting from the US-LON through different gateways and different skyteam partners but I just can't seem to locate it. If someone can point me to it that would be great.

Also, if I get lucky enough to have a choice, given that it might be eons before I get to fly international biz again, which airline/aircraft do I shoot for? It seems like the A330 is a safe bet. I saw the post on the DL 767-400 but if I'm not mistaken, the seats on the 767-300 are the older seats, right? What about CO 777's? I know they are scheduled to be upgraded but their website doesn't show any of them done yet.

I realize I could have the best hard product and the worst soft product or vice versa on any airline. If I had to lean one way I'd say I'd rather have a better hard product.

Oh, and if at all possible, I'd like to book through NWA as that's where I have all my miles. I know I can transfer them to DL for the next few days and will if I have to but the taxes/fees still seem a little cheaper on NWA.com vs. DL.com.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
justhere is offline  
Old Aug 25, 09, 7:30 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LAX/BOS/HKG/AMS/SFO...hmm, I need a life.
Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 13,316
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
I just found out about a relative's wedding in London, UK. The problem is that it is the last weekend in November.

I don't get to do international travel very often and I've been saving miles for just such an occasion. I'd like to fly business both ways and I only need 1 ticket. I've checked some of the gateway cities to LON and I have found some saver availability. My problem is that I would like to get there before the weekend which puts me right in the Thanksgiving travel period and getting to the gateway doubles the miles.

If I have to, I'll book from the gateway and buy a domestic ticket for the first and, if necessary, last leg of the trip. Before I do that I have a couple of questions.

I know there's a great thread around here somewhere that details various ways of getting from the US-LON through different gateways and different skyteam partners but I just can't seem to locate it. If someone can point me to it that would be great.

Also, if I get lucky enough to have a choice, given that it might be eons before I get to fly international biz again, which airline/aircraft do I shoot for? It seems like the A330 is a safe bet. I saw the post on the DL 767-400 but if I'm not mistaken, the seats on the 767-300 are the older seats, right? What about CO 777's? I know they are scheduled to be upgraded but their website doesn't show any of them done yet.

I realize I could have the best hard product and the worst soft product or vice versa on any airline. If I had to lean one way I'd say I'd rather have a better hard product.

Oh, and if at all possible, I'd like to book through NWA as that's where I have all my miles. I know I can transfer them to DL for the next few days and will if I have to but the taxes/fees still seem a little cheaper on NWA.com vs. DL.com.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Re: Aircraft:
This is very subjective and I am sure I will get shredded but: I actually like the NW lie-almost-flat compared to the New DL lie flats. I am 6' and of large build and the lie-flats are very narrow and the whole cabin feels cramped. Your legs are forced up under the pod in front of you. Some will love them but I will take 1C (extra extra legroom) on a 330 at this point (and do very often ). There is talk of new configurations coming but for now that would be my choice.
avidflyer is offline  
Old Aug 26, 09, 6:08 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 3,080
avidflyer thanks for the reply.

I've been using nwa.com to search for flights and have a few questions. Hopefully someone can tell me if this is allowed and/or normal for nwa.com.

I searched for xxx-lhr for a given date. No saver availability in business. I search for DTW-LHR on the same date and there is saver availability in biz via AMS. I search for xxx-DTW and there is saver f/c availability. If I call NWA to book will they be able to combine the domestic and intl portions? Also, if I try to do a multi-city search to get it to come up on nwa.com, the xxx-DTW doesn't come up with saver availability. In fact, it doesn't show half the flights that do come up if I just search xxx-DTW. That's probably a known problem but as I don't do much intl itinerary searching, I've never noticed it before.

Thanks.
justhere is offline  
Old Aug 26, 09, 6:21 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,365
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
avidflyer thanks for the reply.

I've been using nwa.com to search for flights and have a few questions. Hopefully someone can tell me if this is allowed and/or normal for nwa.com.

I searched for xxx-lhr for a given date. No saver availability in business. I search for DTW-LHR on the same date and there is saver availability in biz via AMS. I search for xxx-DTW and there is saver f/c availability. If I call NWA to book will they be able to combine the domestic and intl portions? Also, if I try to do a multi-city search to get it to come up on nwa.com, the xxx-DTW doesn't come up with saver availability. In fact, it doesn't show half the flights that do come up if I just search xxx-DTW. That's probably a known problem but as I don't do much intl itinerary searching, I've never noticed it before.

Thanks.
Best to just give them a call - you don't lose anything by trying.
bmchris is offline  
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashville
Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Posts: 5,820
At the moment, I have been seeing decent awards, but it is only to AMS. It may be easier/ cheaper to get a ticket to AMS and then catch a train to London.
troyintn is offline  
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:45 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 3,080
Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
At the moment, I have been seeing decent awards, but it is only to AMS. It may be easier/ cheaper to get a ticket to AMS and then catch a train to London.
I've seen that too regarding AMS and I'm perfectly fine doing that. I have the time and wouldn't mind in the slightest if I had to do it that way. My problem still exists getting to a gateway city. I should be firming up my plans in the next day or two and I'll call NW if I can't do it online.

I'd still like to find that thread that lists various ways of getting from the US to Europe. I think some even involved going through MEX.
justhere is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread