Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Award travel: Korean or China Southern

Old Aug 1, 09, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, CO GE, AA Plat, Hyatt Pla, HH Gold, Hertz PC

I am planning to go to BKK using WorldPerk award miles. Which is better in comfort/service/food in the First/Business Class ? Korean Airline or China Southern? Please share if you have experience with them.
Thank you.

Last edited by mgcho; Aug 1, 09 at 1:21 pm Reason: misprint
Old Aug 1, 09, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
I think you've picked the one Chinese airline NW is not a partner with NW is partnered with China Southern (part of SkyTeam), China Airlines and China Eastern Airlines.

I still can't answer your question but if you're originating in the States why would you want to go via ICN or China? What about NW/DL via NRT?

-RM
Old Aug 1, 09, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, CO GE, AA Plat, Hyatt Pla, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Because I can get First Class as low as 60000 miles with KA and CZ.
Old Aug 1, 09, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by mgcho View Post
Because I can get First Class as low as 60000 miles with KA and CZ.
I think you mean KE, I'm not sure who KA is. A potential problem is that there may not even be First Class on the planes flying these mid-haul routes. And even if there is, WP members have not been able to redeem for F on KE for quite a while, the best you can get is business. If you are flexible, I would recommend business in either KE (Korean), or MH (Malaysian) for your trip.
Old Aug 1, 09, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have flown both, and can say I enjoyed KE service substantially more than CZ. There is nothing wrong with CZ service, but I often find the boarding areas to be totally chaotic in the US with them. And fairly normal service.
Old Aug 1, 09, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Of course the real way to go here is FC on China Airlines (CI) ... can't be booked online but IMHO better than any of the alternatives. FC is only available for sale (and thus for award) on JFK or LAX to TPE.
Old Aug 1, 09, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CX, SQ, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Let me try to clarify:
KE = Korean Airlines, a member of Sky Team
CZ = China Southern, also a member of Sky Team
CI = China Airlines, based in Taiwan, currently NOT a member of any of the three big alliances, but a partner of NW
KA = Dragon Airlines, a subsidiary of Cathay Pacific, and a member of One World

Between KE and CZ in your original question, and given the lower redemption requirement of the two of them, I would go with KE simply for its better service, entertainment system, etc. KE has a lot of black-out to the US though, and then a different set of black-out within Asia, making it very difficult to redeem. So check first if your trip falls within its (two) blackout periods. NW website has great description on both. (http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/earn/a....shtml#skyteam)

CI is definitely another preferred choice for me. With its limited flying into the US though, and not knowing your original destination, I can also guess that you most likely will have to make two transfers if you fly CI all the way, one in the US, and another one in Taipei.

Although most people won't, you may also consider flying China Eastern (MU).
Old Aug 1, 09, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Have you tried looking at MH as another option? Recently flew C on them intra-Asia and was very favorably impressed with the crew.
Old Aug 1, 09, 7:40 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
KE without a doubt!
Old Aug 2, 09, 3:14 am

Programs: NW Silver, BD Silver
I thought redemptions in KE first were not permitted.
Old Aug 2, 09, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by yw_a330 View Post
I thought redemptions in KE first were not permitted.
I believe you are correct. Award redemptons in First Class are not permitted on any route where Business Class is offered. So, no First Class award ticket redemptions on KE, MH, AF, etc.
Old Aug 2, 09, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt a lowly Platinum now
I have taken both this year, and as Jaimito said, the KE is better. One side note, though, is that if you plan any intra-Asian jaunts on your trip, the CZ business award is a great deal, a little less than half the price in miles of KE, and the product is certainly OK. CZ does try to take care of the business class people first. For example, when I landed in Xiamen last time to transfer planes, we were met on the tarmac (ugh) with two shuttle buses- one exclusively for the 8 or so people in C, and one for the 80 or so people in coach. It was very nice and relaxing in our private bus. I felt a little bad for the people back in the cattle car - but not badly enough to offer to switch places
Old Aug 2, 09, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlies View Post
One side note, though, is that if you plan any intra-Asian jaunts on your trip, the CZ business award is a great deal, a little less than half the price in miles of KE,
What I don't understand is that with DL miles, KE was also 20k/30k(Y/C) for intra-Asia. So with transferring miles from NW to DL, we may be able to avoid expensive NW's KE award (50k for Y). I'm not sure if DL stopped offering 20k/30k KE award because they don't have up-to-date chart except US dep/arr awards.
Old Aug 2, 09, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt a lowly Platinum now
KE has/had the 20/30k level but it was for limited flights by zone. All the routes I tried always ended up at 70k RT for C. But CZ is sytemwide at 30k RT C and they do have a fair amount of intra-asian routes

Search this Thread
Search Engine: