Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

does a direct flight earn the same eqm's as a nonstop?

does a direct flight earn the same eqm's as a nonstop?

Old Jul 22, 09, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Prem, DL Plat, CO Plat, Torrid Diva,Rascal House (free cookies!), TWA Ambassador 183506503
Question does a direct flight earn the same eqm's as a nonstop?

Flew mke-msp-san last weekend. same flight number for both segments. I was credited the mke-san mileage "as if" it were a nonstop flight (which it isn't) instead of 500 for mke-msp and ??? for msp-san, I got the mke-san direct mileage.
Old Jul 22, 09, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by alison11 View Post
Flew mke-msp-san last weekend. same flight number for both segments. I was credited the mke-san mileage "as if" it were a nonstop flight (which it isn't) instead of 500 for mke-msp and ??? for msp-san, I got the mke-san direct mileage.
You received the right mileage amount. "Direct" flights earn mileage between the two city pairs. So MKE-MSP-SAN marketed as a direct MKE-SAN earns the MKE-SAN mileage (as if it were a nonstop flight).
Old Jul 22, 09, 10:58 pm

Programs: 1st Class Only
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
You received the right mileage amount. "Direct" flights earn mileage between the two city pairs. So MKE-MSP-SAN marketed as a direct MKE-SAN earns the MKE-SAN mileage (as if it were a nonstop flight).
Well - maybe?
Recently I flew VPS-MEM-MSP-GFK. VPS-MEM and MEM-MSP legs had the same flight number, BUT we had to deplane in MEM and depart from a different gate. It was also possible to get different seats assignments on the VPS-MEM and MEM-MSP legs. Received separate segment and mileage credits for each leg. Was this a VPS-MSP "direct flight"?
Old Jul 22, 09, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by mesabadad View Post
Well - maybe?
Recently I flew VPS-MEM-MSP-GFK. VPS-MEM and MEM-MSP legs had the same flight number, BUT we had to deplane in MEM and depart from a different gate. It was also possible to get different seats assignments on the VPS-MEM and MEM-MSP legs. Received separate segment and mileage credits for each leg. Was this a VPS-MSP "direct flight"?
If it was broken up when you booked it as a connection, then it should count as two flights (meaning, when booked, it shows Connect in Memphis...). If it's booked as a direct, it wouldn't show the stop in Memphis at all except maybe as a side comment. On the nwa.com itinerary page, it would show Departs MKE, Arrives SAN (as if it were one flight) for the OP. For the VPS case, it would show up as three flights - VPS-MEM as flight one, MEM-MSP as flight two, MSP-GFK for flight three.

All depends on how it's booked and if the one-stop is broken up into distinct segments (something a res agent should be able to do if the fare rules permit it; some fare rules only allow travel on nonstops or direct flights).
Old Jul 23, 09, 5:01 am

Programs: DL Plat, YX Miles Exec, CO Plat, HH Gold
I flew a similar direct a few months back. They credited me one segment and the MKE-SFO mileage, even though a gate and plane change in MSP was required. I called the WorldPerks line and they gladly changed it to 2 segments with full mileage credit for each.
Old Jul 23, 09, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Prem, DL Plat, CO Plat, Torrid Diva,Rascal House (free cookies!), TWA Ambassador 183506503
yep, flew mke-msp. got off the plane and walked to the end of the other gates for the next plane
Old Jul 25, 09, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by alison11 View Post
yep, flew mke-msp. got off the plane and walked to the end of the other gates for the next plane
It doesn't matter if you change gates and planes, only if your flight number changes. From the WP program member's guide:

Mileage accrual is based on the nonstop mileage between your origin and destination for each segment of the trip. A segment is defined as all travel under a single flight number. On connecting flights that require a change of plane and flight number, credit is given for each segment of the trip.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: