Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

MSP - Best Dining Options / World Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:35 am
Original Poster

I have a long layover coming up in MSP. Any recommendations on best places to eat at the airport?

and any preferences on which Skyclub is better? I think there are 2 lounges there, but it has been awhile. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:17 am

Depends on where you are departing from. C is the nicer club but is only close to a handful of mainline flights. It's much closer to A and B. The other club is kind'a in the middle of the restaurants and mainline concourses near F.

Full service is a mix of local places and chains. For something quick I like the French Meadow's fresh baked goods. I rarely eat a long sit down in MSP, but here's the list to refresh people's memory.

•Axel's Bonfire - The Mall
•Chili's Too - The Mall, Concourse G
•French Meadow Bakery and Cafe - The Mall
•Houlihan's - Checkpoint 1
•Icescape - Concourse E
•Ike’s Food & Cocktails - The Mall
•Itasca Grille - Concourse A
•Northern Lights Grill - Concourse D
•O'Gara's Restaurant - Concourse F
•Rock Bottom Brewery & Restaurant - Concourse C
•Skol Cafe & Bar - Concourse A
•Tequileria - Concourse G
•TGI Friday's - Concourse C
•Wolfgang Puck Express - Concourse G
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec
A good list -- recommendations:

Axel's Bonfire -- local chain, good food, walleye (local favorite fish) done right.

Rock Bottom Brewery -- a chain, but good brew and sandwiches

Ike's -- mostly a bar, but food is good, bit upscale as well.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by motytrah

•Axel's Bonfire - The Mall
+1

Try the walleye!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
+1

Try the walleye!
+2
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by FLLDL
I have a long layover coming up in MSP. Any recommendations on best places to eat at the airport?

and any preferences on which Skyclub is better? I think there are 2 lounges there, but it has been awhile. Thanks in advance.
I prefer the lounge in the C concourse. Seems to be quieter and much more quaint.

RockBottom has my money.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I only use the F Club if I only have a few minutes and my flight is leaving from the F Concourse or the Low G gates.

If I get to the airport early, it's C club even if it means a 5 minute walk. I prefer using Skyway security (since TSA there doesn't mind if the shoes are in the bin, while TSA insists on shoes on belt in the terminal area), plus Skyway is always much faster than even the elite line.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
agree - C club is nicer and has been much less crowded when i've been there.

French Meadow is my fave in the airport. great salads and sandwiches that don't leave you feeling over-indulged. generous portions, just more balanced stuff (veggies, organic options, etc.) which is rare in airports. when i know i'm not getting an upgrade, i'll stop by to get a salad to take along.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
(since TSA there doesn't mind if the shoes are in the bin, while TSA insists on shoes on belt in the terminal area)
Ugh. Off topic, but I always put my shoes on the belt. I don't want my dirty soles rubbing off on someone's jacket, laptop case, etc. and I'd appreciate the same in return.

The C Sky Club generally has nicer decor, but the F/G Sky Club is usually closer to many flights.

I would recommend either French Meadow at the start of the E Concourse or Ike's (right next door). With Ike's, get a booth/table in the back and you'll barely even notice you're in an airport.

And Rock Bottom is right around the corner from there.

Axel's does have good food, but also higher foot traffic and noise, IME.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:09 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
If you join TGI Friday's "stripes" club online, they Email you all kinds of offers, sometimes including free appetizers, buy one get one free entrees and more. I have eaten at Fridays in the airport for next to nothing plus a decent tip more than once.

And it is right next to the SkyClub on the C concourse, which is convenient.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by fti
If you join TGI Friday's "stripes" club online, they Email you all kinds of offers, sometimes including free appetizers, buy one get one free entrees and more. I have eaten at Fridays in the airport for next to nothing plus a decent tip more than once.

And it is right next to the SkyClub on the C concourse, which is convenient.
I've done that as well - I get their coupons all the time at work (they tend to float around our office) and it makes it convenient for lunch before I take a 2 p.m. flight out somewhere - leave the office at noon, at TGIF at 1230p, out by 1-115p (they've always been extremely quick for me), stop by the WC for a quick drink and a cookie, then off to my gate.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: NWA Tears
You can also take the 10 minute train to Mall of America which will give you a number of other choices.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by JSFox
You can also take the 10 minute train to Mall of America which will give you a number of other choices.
I would only recommend this with a minimum of 3 hour layover. It could be done in less, sure, but you do cut it a little close, especially if you're not familiar with the airport/area. Nothing particularly tricky about MSP, but it always takes a little longer the first time you go somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.