NW messaging gone wild

Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
NW messaging gone wild

This morning at 6:00 a.m. in my hotel room, me fast asleep after a night of tossing and turning. My cell phone (turned on for alarm clock purposes) rings and startles me awake. I assume it's the alarm. It's not. It's Northwest with a recorded message. The message is that I am being notified that my first class upgrade has not cleared (for my 3:10 p.m. flight), and further, the upgrade wait list is full and I will not be waitlisted for an upgrade. That's certainly the kind of news I want to be awakened at 6:00 a.m. for. Oh, here's the kicker: The flight is on a CRJ with NO first class section. Bottom line, I am awakened by Northwest at 6:00 a.m. to be told I will not be upgraded to first class on a flight without a first class section. And no, I didn't get back to sleep.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
What are your alert settings on NWA info?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by doglover
What are your alert settings on NWA info?
I don't think that's really a good point. Being alerted at an early hour, for a flight that you can't be upgraded on, is silly. If you get alerts, maybe a couple of hours before your flight is fine. 6am is not fine for a lot of people.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: Hotels.com
Slightly off tipic, test your cell phone to find out if it will work in alarm mode even if it is turned off. With my Motorola razr, the alram works even if it is turned off.

I also had NW call me at 6 am with notification of my non-upgrade. Not really their fault. I had notifications set to call at 9 am (Detroit time), but I was in Arizona, so it wasan early 6 am autocall.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
6am is not fine for a lot of people.
Then change your notification settings on nwa.com so you can be assured you won't be alerted during your non-waking hours: https://www.nwa.com/prefs/Contacts

And the notifications are sent under these criteria: https://www.nwa.com/prefs/en/PopUps/...details_FU.jsp
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don't think that's really a good point. Being alerted at an early hour, for a flight that you can't be upgraded on, is silly. If you get alerts, maybe a couple of hours before your flight is fine. 6am is not fine for a lot of people.
I think it IS a really good point. My settings on my NWA info Wireless Contacts are "Everyday 6am-10pm" contact time. If you don't like the 6am, then you should probably adjust that. You can actually change the time to reflect what you're most comfortable with. I'm pretty sure that 6am - 10pm is default.

The only issues I've had is if I'm on the West Coast, I've received messages at 3am. Unfortunately, NWA.com is not intuitive that they just flew you to Seattle or Sacramento the day before, so they should adjust the timing.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Another point is NW alerting pax of not being upgraded on a CRJ with no first class section. The same thing recently happened to me.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
Another point is NW alerting pax of not being upgraded on a CRJ with no first class section. The same thing recently happened to me.
EXACTLY!

This is a pointless notification. And there doesn't appear to be a way to seperate it from a regular upgrade notification.

Earth to NWA... I don't need to be informed that I can't get upgraded on a CRJ200.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
i too got a call at 6am alerting me that i did not upgrade. I applaud their effort to keep me up today, but it would be very nice to choose to only be alerted IF i upgrade.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
YOU control what time NWA calls you. You can set the hours for their phone calls. This can be done on their web site. For example, I have mine set up for them to not call me before 9:00am.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
YOU control what time NWA calls you. You can set the hours for their phone calls. This can be done on their web site. For example, I have mine set up for them to not call me before 9:00am.
Yes, but WHY does NW call you when you DON'T get an upgrade

Two seperate issues here. I agree that NWA gives you an option for when to call. Great. You should live by that. But no matter what time NWA informs me that my single cabin plane upgrade isn't going to happen , it is a waste of my time.

And unless I want to never get informed of my upgrade actually being processed (on other flights), I'll be getting this crap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.