Complimentary upgrade?

Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, NW Silver Elite
Complimentary upgrade to PTY?

I am new to Northwest WorldPerks, I live in Tokyo and will be flying to Panama via Atlanta from Narita on NW metal and connecting to DL to PTY in September.

NW recently offered me Silver Elite status after flying on paid business long haul. I understand I get complimentary upgrades for US domestic and flights to Central America from the US if elite with either NW, DL and CO (until they go to StarAlliance). Can someone confirm. I'm flying on discounted economy on all segments. I am looking to get a complimentary upgrade on the flight from Atlanta to PTY with DL.

What are my chances if this is the case?

Thanks in advance for your help answering this query.

Last edited by benchy; Jun 22, 2009 at 7:51 am
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will have a nil upgrade chance on any international flight.

MisterNice
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
Originally Posted by MisterNice

MisterNice
I estimate the probability as being 70 times your estimated value
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Silvers are at the bottom of the list when it comes to upgrades. And discounted economy will put you lower than other silvers with a higher fare class.

The variables are things like how big is the F cabin, how much paid F is there on the route and what is the pattern of elite travel on the route (and day in question). You might ask over in the DL forum as people there probably have a better feel of those things.

That being said, while your chances aren't "nil" they are likely pretty small. Don't expect the upgrade and be happy if it comes.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum

MisterNice
Actually, your chances are probably fairly decent.

I don't imagine PTY is a big PM/GM route, probably more like Quito, Ecuador, where I flew once and found the front empty, even after all Medallions were upgraded.

To clarify, Medallions do get comp upgrades on all non-BE international flights.

Picking a random point on Expertflyer, DL393 is wide open up front (and in the back) every day from 9/12-9/18.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat

I don't imagine PTY is a big PM/GM route, probably more like Quito, Ecuador, where I flew once and found the front empty, even after all Medallions were upgraded.

To clarify, Medallions do get comp upgrades on all non-BE international flights.

Picking a random point on Expertflyer, DL393 is wide open up front (and in the back) every day from 9/12-9/18.
I second orlandodlplat. You have a great chance of the free upgrade on ATL-PTY as a silver. There are not that many elites who travel to Central/South America on a regular basis. If there are, they're going to BusinessElite-served destinations to places like Brazil.

I'd say your chances are higher than 75% for the upgrade.

-RM
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

MisterNice
What are you talking about? I'd say he's got a reasonable chance at the ATL-PTY segment. Which is an international segment. Geeeesh, I hate idiotic comments.

I fly similar routes 3-4 times a year, and when I first attained silver, I was upgraded 100%. That's what hooked me on elite status, and made me want to attain plat for the extra miles and benefits many years ago.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments

My experience with AA when I used to fly them was pretty good, always got the upgrades on the trip to PTY. I will wait and see and as one poster said, be happy or pleasantly surprised if I get it, seems like chances are not so bad after all.^
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat

Thanks for the tip on ExperFlyer. I have just joined, great site.^
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

PTY leg upgraded

My upgrade for ATL-PTY leg of the trip has been confirmed, 24 hrs prior to departure.

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by benchy
My upgrade for ATL-PTY leg of the trip has been confirmed, 24 hrs prior to departure.

Thanks
thanks for giving us the update ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.