Wiki Posts
Search

Status Match Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Status Match Question

I looked this up on the Status Match Master Thread to no avail...

I am a UA 1K moving to DTW in a month and would like to switch to NWA. First, I am pretty sure they will match me to PLAT or at least to Gold and then get me a challenge to get PLAT.

My question is, if they do match me to PLAT, will it be good through 2010, or only 2009. I do not think, starting in mid July, I will be about to fly 75k on NWA by the end of the year, making the match futile.

Any help with this transfer would be greatly appreciated! I'm still a little nervious leaving UA after so many years...
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I matched Plat from 1K in October 2008 and it was good through 2010. I don't know when the cutoff is though.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I matched Plat from 1K in October 2008 and it was good through 2010. I don't know when the cutoff is though.
great thanks! is there anything else i should know before the switch?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
Try a Status Match with both Delta and Northwest, and one may come in sooner than the other.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Fred 3
Try a Status Match with both Delta and Northwest, and one may come in sooner than the other.
Why waste a possible lifetime status match that you can have later? It's possible that a match to NW now won't count as a match to DL later. But if you match to both, you give up your one-time status match on DL that you could save for later down the road.

That said, DL is significantly quicker in matching than NW.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by playbbg
I looked this up on the Status Match Master Thread to no avail...

I am a UA 1K moving to DTW in a month and would like to switch to NWA. First, I am pretty sure they will match me to PLAT or at least to Gold and then get me a challenge to get PLAT.

My question is, if they do match me to PLAT, will it be good through 2010, or only 2009. I do not think, starting in mid July, I will be about to fly 75k on NWA by the end of the year, making the match futile.

Any help with this transfer would be greatly appreciated! I'm still a little nervious leaving UA after so many years...
I doubt that NW will give you plat. I was/am platinum on CO for many years and probably 85% of my miles were flown on NW. I sent all of my NW flight activity and they still only matched me to gold. I have since earned platinum on NW but they don't routinely match plat for plat.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: UA GS
I am currently a United 1k, and about 2 months ago, I requestd a status match wth Northwest. In read in status match thread, that Northwest was providing Platinum for United 1k's. However, was given Gold status. Apparently, Northwest is no longer matching Platinum for 1k's.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
May not still be the same today, but I had a friend who inquired about a NW status match a few years ago who was a UA 1K and was only offered gold. Back then, the reason he was given for why they were offering gold and not platinum was that UA only offers 100% bonus for 1K's, and so that is equivalent to the NW gold level. I never quite understood that justification.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by PBAudit
I am currently a United 1k, and about 2 months ago, I requestd a status match wth Northwest. In read in status match thread, that Northwest was providing Platinum for United 1k's. However, was given Gold status. Apparently, Northwest is no longer matching Platinum for 1k's.
My gold WP for platinum OP status match was done six months ago, so that's been happening for a while now. It's not a recent development.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

i put in my request about a week ago. how long does it normally take to process?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA GS
I submited my request for Status Match from United 1k on 3/28. I received the following email, Northwest (Gold Status) on 4/22. I called on 4/21 asking about the status match. The agent wasn't able to provide me with any information. It was conicidence that I received email confirmation the next day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Northwest Airlines in regard to upgrading your WorldPerks account, XXXXXXXXX.

We are unable to grant complimentary WorldPerks Platinum Elite to top level members of other carriers; however, after reviewing your United Airlines account your WorldPerks account has been upgraded to Gold Elite status. This one-time complimentary membership upgrade will remain valid through the 2009 elite program year.

Your credentials will be mailed under separate cover to the address on file in approximately three weeks. In the interim, please print off your temporary WorldPerks reference card through nwa.com

Because we value your interest, we are offering you a one-time special opportunity to earn Platinum Elite status and its many privileges.

At your request, we can enroll you into an Elite Challenge Hopeful Promotion that if you fulfill its guidelines, will give you Platinum Elite Status for the 2009 Elite program year. Members have 90 days from promotion enrollment date to fulfill guidelines.

Typically, to earn WorldPerks Platinum Elite status, you must accumulate 75,000 Elite Qualifying Miles or 100 Elite Qualifying Segments in a calendar year. This unique offer allows you to earn Platinum Elite
status by flying seven qualifying roundtrip flights.

Qualifying travel must be on paid published fares booked in P,F,J,C,Z,Y,S,X,B or M class and operated by Northwest Airlines, Northwest Airlink, or KLM Royal Dutch Airlines or paid published fares booked in J,C,S,A,I,F,D,Y,B,M,H or Q class for flights operated by Delta Air Lines.

Please be advised that Northwest designated flights operated by, or in connection to our SkyTeam partners do not qualify for this offer.

If you would like to enroll in this Elite Challenge, please reply via E-mail and include this correspondence, or call the WorldPerks Service Center at 1-800-447-3757 and an agent will assist you.

Note, I did not persue the Platinum challenge since I always book the lowest possible fares.

So far I've been pleased with NW & DL. I've been upgraded on most of flights (the exception has been ATL/SFO, which I understand are very difficult to upgrade).
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PBAudit
I submited my request for Status Match from United 1k on 3/28. I received the following email, Northwest (Gold Status) on 4/22. I called on 4/21 asking about the status match. The agent wasn't able to provide me with any information. It was conicidence that I received email confirmation the next day.

Thank you for contacting Northwest Airlines in regard to upgrading your WorldPerks account, XXXXXXXXX.

We are unable to grant complimentary WorldPerks Platinum Elite to top level members of other carriers; however, after reviewing your United Airlines account your WorldPerks account has been upgraded to Gold Elite status. This one-time complimentary membership upgrade will remain valid through the 2009 elite program year.

Your credentials will be mailed under separate cover to the address on file in approximately three weeks. In the interim, please print off your temporary WorldPerks reference card through nwa.com

Because we value your interest, we are offering you a one-time special opportunity to earn Platinum Elite status and its many privileges.

At your request, we can enroll you into an Elite Challenge Hopeful Promotion that if you fulfill its guidelines, will give you Platinum Elite Status for the 2009 Elite program year. Members have 90 days from promotion enrollment date to fulfill guidelines.

Typically, to earn WorldPerks Platinum Elite status, you must accumulate 75,000 Elite Qualifying Miles or 100 Elite Qualifying Segments in a calendar year. This unique offer allows you to earn Platinum Elite
status by flying seven qualifying roundtrip flights.

Qualifying travel must be on paid published fares booked in P,F,J,C,Z,Y,S,X,B or M class and operated by Northwest Airlines, Northwest Airlink, or KLM Royal Dutch Airlines or paid published fares booked in J,C,S,A,I,F,D,Y,B,M,H or Q class for flights operated by Delta Air Lines.

Please be advised that Northwest designated flights operated by, or in connection to our SkyTeam partners do not qualify for this offer.

If you would like to enroll in this Elite Challenge, please reply via E-mail and include this correspondence, or call the WorldPerks Service Center at 1-800-447-3757 and an agent will assist you.

Note, I did not persue the Platinum challenge since I always book the lowest possible fares.

So far I've been pleased with NW & DL. I've been upgraded on most of flights (the exception has been ATL/SFO, which I understand are very difficult to upgrade).
i'm sorry, i didn't catch how many miles you needed in 90 days to get plat. do you remember what the total was?

thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by playbbg
i'm sorry, i didn't catch how many miles you needed in 90 days to get plat. do you remember what the total was?

thanks!
The e-mail above says 7 qualifying roundtrips within the 90 day period.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Interesting, as my match 8 months ago was easily accepted to Platinum from 1K (Took about a week).

Maybe it has to do with the routing and mileage you flew. I had only 1000 miles (sign-up bonus from a couple years back) in my NW account and NO flight activity, ever. However I did say I had recently moved to IND and I had a lot of international travel in my 1K statements I faxed over.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Interesting, as my match 8 months ago was easily accepted to Platinum from 1K (Took about a week).

Maybe it has to do with the routing and mileage you flew. I had only 1000 miles (sign-up bonus from a couple years back) in my NW account and NO flight activity, ever. However I did say I had recently moved to IND and I had a lot of international travel in my 1K statements I faxed over.
i faxed my stuff in about 2 weeks ago with no response yet. I sent in my statement showing i've done about 75k in flying on about 60 segments so far this year (all domestic with 1 international F trip), so we'll see what they come back to me with. I also said i was moving to DTW (which i am) and only have about 5k of lifetime NWA miles. My fingers are crossed they will come back with PLT ASAP, but i'm ok with the 7 trip challenge in 90 days as thats pretty easy to accomplish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.