Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Meal service between DTW and SFO, dinner and breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver

I booked a travel client on flights between DTW and SFO in first class. One is a dinner flight and one is a breakfast flight. What are the meal and on-board services like now that DL and NW have "aligned" services? The flights are both on 757s, a 752 and a 753.

Thanks in advance for any information. The trip is June 7 outbound and June 9 return.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:06 am

I've been reading here on FT lately that breakfast offering in First Class may be in flux. Cereal, yogurt and bagles/muffins are one standard choice. I wonder if the plain ol' Omlettes still being offered at all?

Dinner options in first class usually range between a chicken-type dish and a pasta dish.

For those unlucky souls in coach, I believe the latest offerings include veggie & fruit trays ($7), bags of trail mix or Pringles ($3), M&M's ($2), and they might also still be offering snack boxes for $5 (the list of in-flight edibles listed on page 107 of the online Delta Sky Mag isn't super detailed).
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Flew MEM-SEA on 5/31 in F and the breakfast options were cereal or omlette w/ sausage and potatoes and a bagel...I chose the omlette...couldn't resist the greasy sausage links...
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM, National Emerald Club, Hilton Gold
Not sure which direction is which for you but I just did DTW-SFO last weekend on NW343 which is the morning 752. Breakfast was a choice of the cheese and tomato(salsa like) omelet or corn flakes. Came with your choice of either a croissant or bagel. I enjoyed the omelet came with the usual suspects of sausage links and breakfast potatoes. Enjoy the service while it lasts, although I might be different from most but imho the meal service hasn't changed too significantly for most of the NW flights I have been on. Of course that may change once those become DL flights.

Jeremy
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Note that all of this depends on the length of your flight. Only those > 1500 miles get the hot meals. This means that ex-MSP you are screwed for most destinations. DTW & MEM will fare better on routes to the far west.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Outbound is DTW-SFO on June 7, NW 347, departing at 7:25 pm, 757-200, dinner.

Return is SFO-DTW June 9, NW 222, departing at 8:20 am, 757-300, breakfast.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Gold, Former US CP Since They Invented It
I s'pose I'm the "client" in question here. LOL

First off, thank you Travel Messiah. Praise you! (Really me4yankees, no one's better than you!)

I have to say, there are only 2 reasons I booked this trip on NorthWORST.

First, the timing was the best. Better than what anyone had...and it was available in First Class. My preferred carrier, CO, was not available.

Second, I'll admit a perverse desire to maintain "SkyTeam Elite" status. If for no other reason, there are times when I'll be stuck on DL/NW and checking wine...and staying free of bag check fees will be good.

And finally, "the price was right" as The Travel Messiah scored a HECK of a price for this ticket, this close in.

That being said...I truly consider NorthWORST to be one step, BARELY one step ahead of The Worst Airline In The History Of Modern Aviation, The Screw, US Airways.

The Travel Messiah and I were going through reasons why she believes NorthWORST is actually a step ahead of The Screw:

1. The boarding lane for elites
2. In-flight glassware
3. The snack basket contains "better" junk - apples or bananas (it was apples for me yesterday), peanuts, Pretzel Crisps, Twix, and Biscoffs.
4. The Sky Clubs (formerly WorldClubs) in DTW are very nice
5. T-Mobile Hotspot is now complimentary for everyone, members and guests/visitors, and T-Mobile cards are no longer required (not relevant to you, but people did used to complain about that)!

I would add to that..."clean(er) airplanes." No one keeps a filthier airplane than The Screw...although they have at least cleaned them up a bit of late.

However, NorthWORST does still have some of the crankiest employees. I flew them a fair chunk over the winter and more or less swore them off...but then an emergency transcon comes up...and I won't do that trip in Y...and this close in, NorthWORST was pretty much the only option...so there I am...

No in-flight entertainment...crappy food...not that great of seating and pitch...and overall, me missing Continental or Alaska.

In any case, I can't wait 'till DL gets their mits on NorthWORST and fixes the silliness of the airline.

And here's to me flying cross country on NorthWORST!!!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
That's some good old NW spirit!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Originally Posted by VanTheMan63
I s'pose I'm the "client" in question here. LOL

First off, thank you Travel Messiah. Praise you! (Really me4yankees, no one's better than you!)

I have to say, there are only 2 reasons I booked this trip on NorthWORST.

First, the timing was the best. Better than what anyone had...and it was available in First Class. My preferred carrier, CO, was not available.

Second, I'll admit a perverse desire to maintain "SkyTeam Elite" status. If for no other reason, there are times when I'll be stuck on DL/NW and checking wine...and staying free of bag check fees will be good.

And finally, "the price was right" as The Travel Messiah scored a HECK of a price for this ticket, this close in.

That being said...I truly consider NorthWORST to be one step, BARELY one step ahead of The Worst Airline In The History Of Modern Aviation, The Screw, US Airways.

The Travel Messiah and I were going through reasons why she believes NorthWORST is actually a step ahead of The Screw:

1. The boarding lane for elites
2. In-flight glassware
3. The snack basket contains "better" junk - apples or bananas (it was apples for me yesterday), peanuts, Pretzel Crisps, Twix, and Biscoffs.
4. The Sky Clubs (formerly WorldClubs) in DTW are very nice
5. T-Mobile Hotspot is now complimentary for everyone, members and guests/visitors, and T-Mobile cards are no longer required (not relevant to you, but people did used to complain about that)!

I would add to that..."clean(er) airplanes." No one keeps a filthier airplane than The Screw...although they have at least cleaned them up a bit of late.

However, NorthWORST does still have some of the crankiest employees. I flew them a fair chunk over the winter and more or less swore them off...but then an emergency transcon comes up...and I won't do that trip in Y...and this close in, NorthWORST was pretty much the only option...so there I am...

No in-flight entertainment...crappy food...not that great of seating and pitch...and overall, me missing Continental or Alaska.

In any case, I can't wait 'till DL gets their mits on NorthWORST and fixes the silliness of the airline.

And here's to me flying cross country on NorthWORST!!!
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Update! My client flew his NW RT PVD-DTW-SFO June 7 and today, June 9, and stands corrected! He finds NW to be a suitable second choice to his primary carrier, CO. He told me that his flights were nice in F, much improved since his last NW experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.