Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

DL AmEx Pay with Miles is not as good as US Bank WP Visa $100 off ecert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I was thinking about trying the Pay with Miles out since I got a DL AmEx. But then I read the fine print.

"Tickets purchased with full or partial Pay with Miles redemptions are not eligible for mileage accrual, mileage upgrades, Platinum Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, or Medallion Complimentary upgrades."

No EQM and no elite upgrades? That sucks. Oh well, time to redeem more e-certs before I cancel my WP Visa (RIP).
Old May 12, 2009, 2:05 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Welcome to the Delta "best in class" bunk.

My list keeps growing longer.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fti
Welcome to the Delta "best in class" bunk.

My list keeps growing longer.
Are you keeping a list? I was for awhile, but I've lost tracked. It would be a depressing list, but something good to archive.
Old May 13, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Caution - only good this year

A word of caution on cashing in miles for these certs - they are only good for travel (as in the iten has to be completed) by EOY this year. In the past they had some carryover till the first part of the following year. So no saving these to help defray MR costs next year, etc.

And yes, the pay with miles not accruing banked or EQM miles and the disqualification for EUQ makes them very less than worthwhile in my book.
Old May 13, 2009, 5:59 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I don't have an Amex, so I don't know this.

What's the effective exchange rate?

$0.01/RDM?
Old May 13, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Pay with Miles is at best 1 cent per mile, or in some cases less than 1 cent per mile. The minimum to pay the entire fare with miles is 25,000 miles, even if your fare is under $250. If the fare is over $100 though, you can get $100 off for 10,000 miles. Anything over $250 can be purchased in $50 increments for 5,000 miles each, or $100 increments for fares over $1000.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:06 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Are you keeping a list? I was for awhile, but I've lost tracked. It would be a depressing list, but something good to archive.
I am keeping a list of the negatives and the positives. Unfortunately the negatives outweigh the positives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.