Wiki Posts
Search

Run-in with SkyClub attendant ATL

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List
Run-in with SkyClub attendant ATL

On Monday 5/4/09, I was popping into the (a?) terminal A club when I observed an older Airforce colonel discreetly asking the moat dragon for a comp entry. She declined, and I volunteered politely to bring the officer in as my guest. Here follows the exchange:

dragon: "You're not really supposed to do that, you know."
me: "Excuse me. How many hundreds of dollars do I pay for entry to this club with guest privileges?" (She takes my SkyClub card to swipe it again -- she had already swiped me in since my card has no bar-code.)
dragon: "It's just that you're supposed to know them." (Meaning guests, I suppose.)
me: "Are you saying that there's a policy that I have to know my guests?"
dragon: "Well, he's not supposed to solicit..."
me: "He didn't solicit my help. I offered." (She returns my card and looks expectantly at the next customer without another word. The colonel and I head upstairs, and he is most grateful. I am most apologetic.)

At the risk of starting another DL bashing thread, I was astounded. I simply cannot imagine this scene having taken place in DTW, MEM, or MSP. Perhaps I have been sheltered, but the old WC agents seem much more customer-oriented. I'm hoping it's just an ATL thing, not a DL thing.

For all the DL apologists, he was discreet and in no way demanding. I was polite in my offer to guest him in. The club was not crowded by ATL standards (I had no trouble finding a good seat, and there was no wait at the bar). She just didn't want him to come in -- and didn't want me to guest him in. I don't understand this, and I hope it's not an indication of the future of the clubs.
Old May 6, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
So, one encounter at a club with one agent results in this "DL does not care" stuff.

I am a great fan of NW and I am sad to see the NW culture go, but please, do not label a whole airline on an employee with a poor attitude. This is getting tiresome.

Bad employees exist everywhere. Employyes with an attitude exist everywhere. Get over this DL vs NW stuff...
Old May 6, 2009, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Before the DL bashing starts, I’ll say that was a very nice thing for the OP to do.
Old May 6, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
OP, cheers to you.
Old May 6, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jucundus
On Monday 5/4/09, I was popping into the (a?) terminal A club when I observed an older Airforce colonel discreetly asking the moat dragon for a comp entry. She declined, and I volunteered politely to bring the officer in as my guest. Here follows the exchange:

dragon: "You're not really supposed to do that, you know."
me: "Excuse me. How many hundreds of dollars do I pay for entry to this club with guest privileges?" (She takes my SkyClub card to swipe it again -- she had already swiped me in since my card has no bar-code.)
dragon: "It's just that you're supposed to know them." (Meaning guests, I suppose.)
me: "Are you saying that there's a policy that I have to know my guests?"
dragon: "Well, he's not supposed to solicit..."
me: "He didn't solicit my help. I offered." (She returns my card and looks expectantly at the next customer without another word. The colonel and I head upstairs, and he is most grateful. I am most apologetic.)

At the risk of starting another DL bashing thread, I was astounded. I simply cannot imagine this scene having taken place in DTW, MEM, or MSP. Perhaps I have been sheltered, but the old WC agents seem much more customer-oriented. I'm hoping it's just an ATL thing, not a DL thing.

For all the DL apologists, he was discreet and in no way demanding. I was polite in my offer to guest him in. The club was not crowded by ATL standards (I had no trouble finding a good seat, and there was no wait at the bar). She just didn't want him to come in -- and didn't want me to guest him in. I don't understand this, and I hope it's not an indication of the future of the clubs.
I'm not a DL lover or hater but I would hardly call this a "run-in". Regardless of whether she was right or wrong, your own quotes make it sound like she was just trying to explain the rules (or at least her interpretation of them). Once you stated your case she "didn't say another word". So she chose not to argue with you and just acquiesced. Again, hardly a run-in.

Should she have even said anything? Some will agree with you and some won't but that's what makes life interesting.
Old May 6, 2009, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Generally I've found the ATL lounge staffs very accommodating. I've only had one issue when my wife & I were checking in separately becuse I intended to relocate to the CO lounge for the free WiFi.

This was a couple years after CRC/WC/PC entrance requirements were aligned. Same day boarding passes were NOT required for WC members. This total jerk made me jump through every hoop imaginable; he had no clue that the woman behind me, who ended up signing in with the much nicer lounge dragonette sitting next to him, was my wife.

Another woman behind me in line even chimed in to point out that it had been two years -- not one as I'd told him -- since the requiements were aligned and the documentation was unnecessary.

An email to Delta's Contact Us/E-mail US link apparently got him sent off to the re-education camp for lounge dragons. I received a nice apology. I also ran into him several more times at the lounge entrances and never had any further issues.

Best approach is to send them an email, then forget about it. They do deal w/ lounge issues.

Last edited by MikeMpls; May 6, 2009 at 4:50 pm
Old May 6, 2009, 4:43 pm

She didn't say you couldn't, she just said you're not supposed to. Which I don't see anything wrong with because those are specifically the rules. The clubs are oversold to the extent that they do need to keep people from soliciting.

Next time just smile and say "But I insist."

The path of "I paid XXX for this..." is frankly a bit tacky.

As far as what other clubs would do? Maybe they'd be better, but there's a reason why the term Lounge Dragon is a bit universal.
Old May 6, 2009, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by justhere
I'm not a DL lover or hater but I would hardly call this a "run-in". Regardless of whether she was right or wrong, your own quotes make it sound like she was just trying to explain the rules (or at least her interpretation of them). Once you stated your case she "didn't say another word". So she chose not to argue with you and just acquiesced. Again, hardly a run-in.

Should she have even said anything? Some will agree with you and some won't but that's what makes life interesting.
There aren't any such rules, and they shouldn't be inventing any on the fly. You can have a "business meeting" with anyone you wish.

Especially with regard to military personnel, Delta sets itself up with these requests by providing lounge access to military traveling on orders over the Christmas holidays. Last year they set up a special area for them in ATL; in prior years they they were allowed CRC access. Give their record (one of the things Delta's done right!), they shouldn't be too surprised if military personnel show up wondering if they can be admitted.
Old May 6, 2009, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by motytrah
She didn't say you couldn't, she just said you're not supposed to. Which I don't see anything wrong with because those are specifically the rules. The clubs are oversold to the extent that they do need to keep people from soliciting.
Where is that in the rules?

And beside that point, under what authority would Delta have to regulate the behavior of someone who is not a SC member to get with?
Old May 6, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
The point is she should not have said ANYTHING, except thank you.

Originally Posted by motytrah

Next time just smile and say "But I insist."

The path of "I paid XXX for this..." is frankly a bit tacky.

As far as what other clubs would do? Maybe they'd be better, but there's a reason why the term Lounge Dragon is a bit universal.
Old May 6, 2009, 5:06 pm

I've thought what I would do if I saw someone trying to get access to the lounge.

I would probably say "(to the person trying to get in) Hey, I told you to wait for me outside the club for me so I could get you in (to the lounge attendant) This person is with me."
Old May 6, 2009, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
I would exit the club and wait for the denied guest. Get his name and invite him in. Reenter the club entrance and hand the dragon the card and announce "I'm here, and have brought one guest, my old friend John." ^
Old May 6, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
There aren't any such rules, and they shouldn't be inventing any on the fly. You can have a "business meeting" with anyone you wish.

Especially with regard to military personnel, Delta sets itself up with these requests by providing lounge access to military traveling on orders over the Christmas holidays. Last year they set up a special area for them in ATL; in prior years they they were allowed CRC access. Give their record (one of the things Delta's done right!), they shouldn't be too surprised if military personnel show up wondering if they can be admitted.
I don't disagree with you. I was simply pointing out that IMHO this was not a "run-in". We frequently hear stories of employees trying to enforce rules and procedures incorrectly and then standing their ground to save face. In this situation it just appears that the DL employee, while apparently mistaken, stated her case, listened to the OP's, and made the right call by letting them in.
Old May 6, 2009, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Yeah, you're not "supposed to" do that.

In practice, this means don't do it right in front of the dragon.

But I like gj83's idea.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I would exit the club and wait for the denied guest. Get his name and invite him in. Reenter the club entrance and hand the dragon the card and announce "I'm here, and have brought one guest, my old friend John." ^
You don't even have to get his name, just call him your old friend John even if he is really Fred.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.