Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Standby from a redeye with next day connection

Standby from a redeye with next day connection

 
Old May 3, 09, 3:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,420
Standby from a redeye with next day connection

I was suppose to take the redeye later tonight from LAX and connect at DTW to ORD (first flight tomorrow morning). I got an earlier flight out of LAX. The agent here at DTW told me I can't stand by on a flight to ORD today because my original flight to ORD isn't on the same day. So I had to either pay for the flight change or get stuck in DTW for 15 hours. Urrrrrgggggg!!
hw711 is offline  
Old May 3, 09, 3:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DTW/FNT
Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Posts: 4,792
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
I was suppose to take the redeye later tonight from LAX and connect at DTW to ORD (first flight tomorrow morning). I got an earlier flight out of LAX. The agent here at DTW told me I can't stand by on a flight to ORD today because my original flight to ORD isn't on the same day. So I had to either pay for the flight change or get stuck in DTW for 15 hours. Urrrrrgggggg!!
and you can drive it in about 5 hours..... depending on where in Chicago you have to be that is.....

Bob H
BobH is offline  
Old May 3, 09, 6:49 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SEA, ROA, DHN
Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
Posts: 176
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
I was suppose to take the redeye later tonight from LAX and connect at DTW to ORD (first flight tomorrow morning). I got an earlier flight out of LAX. The agent here at DTW told me I can't stand by on a flight to ORD today because my original flight to ORD isn't on the same day. So I had to either pay for the flight change or get stuck in DTW for 15 hours. Urrrrrgggggg!!
This does not seem correct to me, at least for DL. I SDC and/or stand-by for west-coast redeyes (or am switching to a flight earlier in the day) at least once a month. If you are on a 006 DL ticket stock, seek out a Delta desk and they should be able to fix it for you.

Sorry to hear this is happening to you.
Discplayer is offline  
Old May 4, 09, 4:33 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,420
I ended up biting the bullet and paid the change fee (I called the Gold Elite line and got it reduced to $50). I sent a TTU complaint and got a letter of apology (no ECV or miles).
hw711 is offline  
Old May 4, 09, 4:44 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,155
Originally Posted by Discplayer View Post
This does not seem correct to me, at least for DL. I SDC and/or stand-by for west-coast redeyes (or am switching to a flight earlier in the day) at least once a month. If you are on a 006 DL ticket stock, seek out a Delta desk and they should be able to fix it for you.

Sorry to hear this is happening to you.
This is absolutely true with Delta. SDC only affected the initial flight. The connection would have to be in that 4 hour window that actually makes it a "connection". A few of those redeyes don't fall within those guidelines. I have no direct experience with NW on such matters.
indufan is offline  
Old May 4, 09, 4:49 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,420
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
The connection would have to be in that 4 hour window that actually makes it a "connection".
I was wondering about that. By not giving me an earlier connection, wouldn't that break the fare rules?
hw711 is offline  
Old May 4, 09, 5:27 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,155
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
I was wondering about that. By not giving me an earlier connection, wouldn't that break the fare rules?
Actually that probably is the problem.

So, you are taking an earlier redeye but making the same connection which is now outside the 4 hour connection window?
indufan is offline  
Old May 4, 09, 6:28 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashville
Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Posts: 5,822
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Actually that probably is the problem.

So, you are taking an earlier redeye but making the same connection which is now outside the 4 hour connection window?
But I thought if you were on the last flight of the day into a hub and the first one out that the 4 hour rule was waived.
troyintn is offline  
Old May 4, 09, 7:10 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,155
Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
But I thought if you were on the last flight of the day into a hub and the first one out that the 4 hour rule was waived.
But it ain't a connection. And I have never actually seen that documented anyway. And besides by switching to an earlier flight, it wouldn't be the last flight of the day.
indufan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: