FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   NW Giving 10-25% discount on award flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/940744-nw-giving-10-25-discount-award-flights.html)

Jaimito Cartero Apr 6, 2009 11:32 pm

NW Giving 10-25% discount on award flights

Book through April 20, 2009 for travel between April 20 and June 15, 2009.

* Save up to 10%* on Economy Class
* Save up to 20%* on Economy Class Award Tickets in select markets
* Save up to 25%* on BusinessElite®/Business Class Award Travel

For example, redeem 48,000 miles for Economy Award roundtrip travel between Minneapolis/St. Paul and Singapore - a 20% savings from the current redemption level of 60,000 miles! Or redeem 75,000 miles for BusinessElite® Award roundtrip travel between Detroit and London Heathrow - a 25% savings from the current redemption level of 100,000 miles.

http://www.nwa.com/features/awarddiscount/

Gosh, I guess they have a lot of empty seats they want to fill. What a surprise. I don't know if this is targeted or not.

boxo Apr 6, 2009 11:40 pm

Trying to figure out if I can "re-fare" without tossing one of my measly Plat "perks" out the door. I suppose saving 25k is worth $50.

Jaimito Cartero Apr 6, 2009 11:42 pm

Looks like there is another thread in the DL forum about their offer. There are lots of rules to these deals, so make sure you check out the fine print, and don't cancel anything until you're sure it's going to work.

NW/DL miles are still worth a bit more than $50 per 25k. :)

dyung Apr 7, 2009 12:17 am

I think one of the restriction is you have to start at one of the gateways/hubs. One of the restrictions that I noticed was that it was only between certain city pairs, and they are generally just hub/gateway cities.

Big_Dutch Apr 7, 2009 12:43 am

Rules for offer

Originally Posted by dyung (Post 11540151)
I think one of the restriction is you have to start at one of the gateways/hubs. One of the restrictions that I noticed was that it was only between certain city pairs, and they are generally just hub/gateway cities.

Discounts apply on international routes. 10% Economy discount and 25% BusinessElite/Business Class discount valid on all Delta-operated and Northwest-operated flights (and KLM-operated flights for WorldPerks members) originating within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska and Canada, with an international destination (other than Canada) and flights of international origin (other than Canada) with a destination within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska and Canada
20% Economy discount applies only to the following routes:
on Delta-operated flights from/to ATL to/from AMS, ARN, BCN, BRU, CPH, GYE, KIN, KWI, LGW, MAD, MAO, MGA, MXP, NRT, PLS, PRG, TGU, UIO, ZRH; from/to CVG to/from AMS, FRA, LGW; from/to JFK to/from BOG, BRU, EDI, GRU, LHR, MXP, PSA, VLC, ZRH; from/to BDA to/from BOS, LGA; from/to PIT to/from CDG
on Northwest/KLM-operated flights from/to PDX to/from NRT, PEK, HGK, SIN; from/to SFO to/from NRT, PEK, HKG, SIN; from/to DTW to/from NRT, HKG, PUS, FRA, LHR; from/to MSP to/from SIN, PEK; from/to AMS to/from DFW, EWR, PDX, IAH, YUL, YYC

RustyC Apr 7, 2009 1:48 am

If your trip has to originate and end in the gateway city to get the 20% discount on the selected routes, then I can see where far fewer people might be able to use it.

Would also wonder if it stacks with the WP Visa 6K award discount, though that one would only work for Mexico and the Caribbean, I'm guessing, even if it did.

humanoid94 Apr 7, 2009 4:24 am

Hmm... just doing some test bookings it looks like the restriction is that an itinerary only has to include one of these flights. I am pricing out the discounted level to LHR and FRA ex-DCA. Of course, now that I post it, let's see how long it takes them to fix it.

GUWonder Apr 7, 2009 5:35 am

Originally Posted by humanoid94 (Post 11540621)
Hmm... just doing some test bookings it looks like the restriction is that an itinerary only has to include one of these flights. I am pricing out the discounted level to LHR and FRA ex-DCA. Of course, now that I post it, let's see how long it takes them to fix it.

I am not sure that the results you are getting are a mistake since -- at least depending on some routing -- it could fit in with some interpretations of the promotion.

If it's a mistake, then it'll be interesting to see if/when they may try fixing it. Even after the trip has been ticketed and maybe even completed? :eek: Fortunately, DL and NW don't have much of a history of doing such things to "loyalty" program members and their accounts even when it comes to tickets involving award ticket pricing "mistakes".

CPMaverick Apr 7, 2009 5:55 am

You must read the FULL 'Applicable Routes' section.

10% off economy and 25% off Business is for ALL routes ex-48 US.

20% economy discount is more limited.

Applicable Routes:

Discounts apply on international routes. 10% Economy discount and 25% BusinessElite/Business Class discount valid on all Delta-operated and Northwest-operated flights (and KLM-operated flights for WorldPerks members) originating within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska and Canada, with an international destination (other than Canada) and flights of international origin (other than Canada) with a destination within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska and Canada

20% Economy discount applies only to the following routes:
on Delta-operated flights from/to ATL to/from AMS, ARN, BCN, BRU, CPH, GYE, KIN, KWI, LGW, MAD, MAO, MGA, MXP, NRT, PLS, PRG, TGU, UIO, ZRH; from/to CVG to/from AMS, FRA, LGW; from/to JFK to/from BOG, BRU, EDI, GRU, LHR, MXP, PSA, VLC, ZRH; from/to BDA to/from BOS, LGA; from/to PIT to/from CDG
on Northwest/KLM-operated flights from/to PDX to/from NRT, PEK, HGK, SIN; from/to SFO to/from NRT, PEK, HKG, SIN; from/to DTW to/from NRT, HKG, PUS, FRA, LHR; from/to MSP to/from SIN, PEK; from/to AMS to/from DFW, EWR, PDX, IAH, YUL, YYC

nimrod19 Apr 7, 2009 6:56 am

This promo is weird, I guess in my case.

I've been trying to price CVG-MNL and the lowest I get is 81k miles. But without the E-cert you can book a 60k perksaver ticket.

My search does not even come up with WBC.

sbagdon Apr 7, 2009 7:04 am

Originally Posted by RustyC (Post 11540334)
If your trip has to originate and end in the gateway city to get the 20% discount on the selected routes, then I can see where far fewer people might be able to use it.

Would also wonder if it stacks with the WP Visa 6K award discount, though that one would only work for Mexico and the Caribbean, I'm guessing, even if it did.

It's always bugged me that I pay "full price" for award ticket, taking only one segment, while people flying almost twice the miles on two segments pay the same price. I can fly DTW-FCO for one price... or LAX-DTW-FCO for the same price.

I'd gladly pay less miles, if flying from a hub.

CPMaverick Apr 7, 2009 7:16 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 11541090)
It's always bugged me that I pay "full price" for award ticket, taking only one segment, while people flying almost twice the miles on two segments pay the same price. I can fly DTW-FCO for one price... or LAX-DTW-FCO for the same price.

I'd gladly pay less miles, if flying from a hub.

The direct flight is worth something right? Often you might find that itinerary more expensive from a hub than elsewhere for a paid ticket, so an equal 'miles' price isn't bad...

soitgoes Apr 7, 2009 8:53 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 11541090)
It's always bugged me that I pay "full price" for award ticket, taking only one segment, while people flying almost twice the miles on two segments pay the same price.

At least they don't charge you more.
Ask those at CVG how much they pay for flights out of CVG compared with those connecting through the airport (for paid tickets). :D

soitgoes Apr 7, 2009 8:55 am

Originally Posted by nimrod19 (Post 11541063)
This promo is weird, I guess in my case.

I've been trying to price CVG-MNL and the lowest I get is 81k miles. But without the E-cert you can book a 60k perksaver ticket.

My search does not even come up with WBC.

This is one time where delta.com is easier to use. The 'e-certificate' thing on nwa.com makes it really hard to select flights (can't specify class, must choose whole trips).

Exiled in Express Apr 7, 2009 9:10 am

If NW/DL wants to extend the offer through July I will bite. I was considering shuffling some miles from a family member's account but like this option better.