Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

FlyNow on the day before the original date

FlyNow on the day before the original date

Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
If you show up to stand-by for a flight on the original calendar day of your departure and space is available you will be able to do it for free (assuming that BWI is your original destination), and your wife can do it for $50 (if she is on a different confirmation number than you).
Layaec,

Thanks for the input, I will report back after my flights this weekend 7/10/09 on how things worked out with NWA's FlyNow/StandBy from SEA.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by SamOF
I've always been offered day before/day after FlyNow options at OLCI time when at least one of my flights looks pretty close to full.

OP—How full are your flights looking? If you're a gambling man/woman...
i'm getting flynow options at T-24h at no charge as a no-status flyer today.. after reading this thread, i'm not shocked, since one leg of my trip has been showing Y0 for two weeks.

to answer the OP's question, there was an option for travel today, but it was not free. two options tomorrow (including one showing Y6) are available for free.

(i'm sticking with the original flights, i think -- i could go for a bump voucher for a 10k bonus run..)

(edit: decided to change, because the 9am worked better for me. got rebooked in Y, which means i could get premium seats on the new legs and hopefully 1.5x MQM. anyone know if this will show up as paid-T-flew-Y? as an aside, after making the change, my original flight is still Y0. they were quite happy to move me, i suspect.)

Last edited by Seat1A; Jul 18, 2009 at 7:57 pm
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Seat1A
(edit: decided to change, because the 9am worked better for me. got rebooked in Y, which means i could get premium seats on the new legs and hopefully 1.5x MQM. anyone know if this will show up as paid-T-flew-Y? as an aside, after making the change, my original flight is still Y0. they were quite happy to move me, i suspect.)
Highly unlikely. One of the areas NW IT excels at is the ability to preserve your original class of service when posting flights to your WorldPerks account. Your WP account may show "Y" as the class flown but your original class will show up as the class paid. There are few situations where this won't be the case and you might get the 1.5x EQM but, again, it's not likely and you should expect the EQM based on your originally paid class of service.

-RM
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Seat1A
got rebooked in Y, which means i could get premium seats on the new legs and hopefully 1.5x MQM. anyone know if this will show up as paid-T-flew-Y?
I'm afraid I have to agree with RobOnLI. I've chosen different flights online at check-in and the mileage has always posted as my original booking class.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
good to know, thanks... i got my no-money's worth out of a better flight schedule, and access to premium/exit seats was a nice bonus. even at 1x, which costs me 100 miles, it's a good deal for me, and probably for NW, too.

edit: well, now on DL, with fare class Y, fare basis "INVOL", and crediting to DL. will hope for the best.. :-/

edit again, just for completeness: NW cancelled the flight i switched to, and rebooked me on DL via CVG. class Y and basis INVOL were enough to get me 1.5x RDM and MQM. small consolation for a 1500 mile trip on a CR9/CRJ connection..

Last edited by Seat1A; Jul 19, 2009 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 31, 2009, 4:57 am
Original Member

I am hoping for a FlyNow option on an early morning flight in Sept. I would love to leave a day early. I booked my flights on NW but they are Delta metal. Would I have a better chance of getting the FlyNow option by checking in on the NW site or Delta site??
How can I tell if my flight is full? If I check both websites, they show a different amount of seats available, all the preferred seats.
THanks!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:46 pm

You are given the FlyNow option during OLCI if you do so w/in 4 hrs of the reg sked dept....So if the flt is at 0030, then OLCI or Kiosk anytime after 830pm the calendar day prior will give you this option....assuming seats are open...So if you want the 10p flt for example the calendar day prior this will allow it.....Did that clarify?

Per the posting below, the window could be 3 hrs...but you Cant call...Res doesnt offer this...its thru the SSD or Online ck in only....

This program is different than DL's SDC (Same day Confirmed)

Last edited by ResSalesGuy; Aug 31, 2009 at 5:55 pm Reason: More info
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by cmwdjw
I am hoping for a FlyNow option on an early morning flight in Sept. I would love to leave a day early. I booked my flights on NW but they are Delta metal. Would I have a better chance of getting the FlyNow option by checking in on the NW site or Delta site??
How can I tell if my flight is full? If I check both websites, they show a different amount of seats available, all the preferred seats.
THanks!
Fly Now is only available within 3 hours of a the flight you want to take on Delta. And you have to call. The NW system is much better, but is toast in the merger.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Not sure if it's technically fly now, but when checking in at the 24 window the day before, I have many times gotten flight changes confirmed for the next day for free (nor charges). To me this is flynow. This has happened multiple times, just this last week again. Not sure about flying the day of though.

i.e.

Check in on Thursday for Friday flight. During check-in, nwa.com offers me another flight same route on Friday that can be confirmed for no fee. So FlyNow technically doesn't have to be same day. I'm sure you could do standby (just ask the GA) if room exists.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:05 am
Original Member

So, if I understand everyone's advice correctly, I should check in at the 24 hour mark (7:00AM Sat) for my 7:00AM Sunday flight and maybe it will give me an option to fly on Sat. night for the $50 FLYNOW fee.
Hoping for the best, and hopefully this works out, I am 2 hours from the airport, so must factor that in too.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
So, if I understand everyone's advice correctly, I should check in at the 24 hour mark (7:00AM Sat) for my 7:00AM Sunday flight and maybe it will give me an option to fly on Sat. night for the $50 FLYNOW fee.
For me (Platinum Elite), they have often offered the new itinerary for free. The kicker is that I usually lose my upgrade and could end up with a lousy seat in coach. If your flight is full and the flights the day before aren't, obviously your chances are much better of getting a free itinerary change offer.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: NW GE
Hoping for the best, and hopefully this works out, I am 2 hours from the airport, so must factor that in too.
I think your chances of being able to leave a day earlier on DL flights (even booked thru NW) are very low. NW's flynow (NW metal only) would occasionally let you go a day early if it was in NW's benefit (overbook), but DL's system (DL metal) only does it for +/- 3 hrs and is much more picky. Would not plan on it.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
I think your chances of being able to leave a day earlier on DL flights (even booked thru NW) are very low. NW's flynow (NW metal only) would occasionally let you go a day early if it was in NW's benefit (overbook), but DL's system (DL metal) only does it for +/- 3 hrs and is much more picky. Would not plan on it.
I guess this will be another "best in class" or "best in both" enhancement...
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:34 pm
Original Member

If I call NW, will they tell me if the flight is sold out or over sold? I do connect in Salt Lake too, then to Vegas. Man, I just should of booked and different flight from the get go, save alot of worry and hassle. Didn't know that eldest would be in Vegas that weekend too and want to meet up with her as she lives 3000 miles from us.
Wish us luck!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GrizShel
For me (Platinum Elite), they have often offered the new itinerary for free. The kicker is that I usually lose my upgrade and could end up with a lousy seat in coach. If your flight is full and the flights the day before aren't, obviously your chances are much better of getting a free itinerary change offer.
Actually, the flights they let you switch to are usually more empty so the chance of scoring upgrade on the new flights are pretty high.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.