Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] Double/Triple EQM Promo

Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Details here:

https://www.nwa.com/offers/triple/

"Members purchasing premium fares will earn triple flown miles toward Elite status, members purchasing discounted economy fares will earn double flown miles toward Elite status, and members purchasing deeply discounted fares will earn the actual flown miles toward Elite status for all flights purchased and flown between March 23 and June 15, 2009. "
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Greetings All:

Wow, DL/NW really does not like the lower budget traveler. Nothing on LTK is tough. The last NW DEQM promo was all fares back in 2005. This year all the other legacies are offering on all fares. My a new day has come. All in all, completely underwhelming.

Safe Travels.

EDIT: The chart looks screwed up to me somewhat unless there has been class realignment of which I am unaware. T and L are double for international and actual for domestic while H is double for domestic and actual for international. V is double domestic and actual international. That seems really odd.

Last edited by GTITAN; Mar 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by shiner
Details here:

https://www.nwa.com/offers/triple/

"Members purchasing premium fares will earn triple flown miles toward Elite status, members purchasing discounted economy fares will earn double flown miles toward Elite status, and members purchasing deeply discounted fares will earn the actual flown miles toward Elite status for all flights purchased and flown between March 23 and June 15, 2009. "
Wow, that's really special To think, a promo that gives you ACTUAL flown miles toward elite status. Does that mean that because I registered, I'll only get actual miles EQM instead of 500-minimum miles EQM?

Guess I'm buying/flying more CO and less DL/NW during that period. Everybody else's DEQM promo is DEQM on all fares.

Actually I probably will requal at least Silver on DL next year now that CO has its DEQM promo. I was going to credit my Q2 NW/DL flights to CO to make sure I hit my CO EQM target, but with CO's promo I can do that just on CO flights alone.

Several days late and much more than a dollar short...
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Apparently they do not like us travelers that plan far out and accept the cheap fares they offer us.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tvnwz
Apparently they do not like us travelers that plan far out and accept the cheap fares they offer us.
I have mixed feelings about this whole promotion. Do we really need MORE elites? I understand that this is essentially free for DL/NW to offer but it only makes upgrades harder for your best customers.

I buy the entire range of tickets so knowing that I won't get any bonus for acting early stinks. However, the PFYBM etc tickets are the most profitable and it only makes sense to encourage the purchase of those fares.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Almost doubles the price from $240 to $458 for MSP-LAX. Complex rules instead of just register, buy & fly.

Why bother? This will mostly benefit (by accident) those who buy late. People will be building their status on the competition until June 15.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.9) MOT-Q9/01.02.23R)

I'm a bit dismayed... to me this signals nothing more than elite inflation. Or maybe it's just sour grapes as I arrived home yesterday on a 22k+ EQM trip in Z that could have been worth nearly 2 elite levels
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by tvnwz
or us segment qualifiers.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:43 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Admittedly cross-posted to DL forum, but here goes:

NW promo is "double/triple flown miles toward elite status."

That isn't quite the same as double/triple EQM/MQM. For example, NW offers triple flown miles on fares such as J/F/Y/B/M. Those are fares that normally earn 1.5x flown miles for MQM purposes.

So really they are offering double MQM on the high premium fares, and also double MQM (same as "double flown miles") on the coach fares that aren't "heavily discounted" (H/K/Q for DL flights).

Am I interpreting this wrong? What this boils down to is 2x MQM, but no bonus on the cheapies.

Right?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by andymo99
So really they are offering double MQM on the high premium fares, and also double MQM (same as "double flown miles") on the coach fares that aren't "heavily discounted" (H/K/Q for DL flights).

Am I interpreting this wrong? What this boils down to is 2x MQM, but no bonus on the cheapies.

Right?
I believe you are right. Very slick wording by NW marketing.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given this promotion, most discretionary purchase trips qualify for ZERO status miles bonus -- if you want the status mile bonus with DL-NW, it'll have to be on a substantially more expensive ticket for most customers .... and otherwise it's no bonus.

This is great for those with non-discretionary premium fare travel -- they can diversify away from DL-NW faster and still retain their status and jump ship to another airline which values all their business far more equally than DL management.

This promotion is 1x actual flown miles (read: no bonus) for most customers and 2x or 3x actual flown miles toward elite status only for those tickets booked with premium fares -- nothing really slick about it if you keep in mind this provides a quicker comparison to other airlines.

While DL-NW offers no status mile bonus promotion for most discretionary fare travel, AA, CO, UA and US are all offering bonus status miles regardless of fare purchased.

Welcome to Delta Airlines, where this promotion offers most customers nothing.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 23, 2009 at 1:35 pm
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1M, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This promo is truly an insult to those of us who are forced by corporate policy to fly the lowest fare, therefore more than not qualifying for double EQMs. I am truly starting to beleive that NW/Delta really doesn't want my business. I have actually started calling other airlines to inquire about status matches........truly sad.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Questions:

J/C/Z/I/P/F/Y/B/M fares already get a 50% EQM bonus. Does this mean they now get a 200% EQM bonus or do you still get the extra 50% in addition to the triple miles?

Does the 500 mile minimum apply?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kcnwgold
This promo is truly an insult to those of us who are forced by corporate policy to fly the lowest fare, therefore more than not qualifying for double EQMs. I am truly starting to beleive that NW/Delta really doesn't want my business. I have actually started calling other airlines to inquire about status matches........truly sad.
This promo works best for those who are DL captives by way of corporate policy and happen to still have employers who allow for employees to fly premium fares and/or in premium cabins regardless of cheaper options existing in coach or not.

Speaking of those acquaintances of mine who fit into my above category and who also used to have to mix in some discretionary travel in order to hit the desired status criteria, they now will have a much easier time of getting status but won't really be motivated to send additional/discretionary travel money in the direction of DL-NW.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stripe
Questions:

J/C/Z/I/P/F/Y/B/M fares already get a 50% EQM bonus. Does this mean they now get a 200% EQM bonus or do you still get the extra 50% in addition to the triple miles?

Does the 500 mile minimum apply?

Toss the normal/non-promotion EQM bonus out of the mind when figuring out what the total bonus is. Thinking about the normal EQM bonuses for higher fares just confuses matters more than is useful.

The total status miles earned is 3x of actual miles flown for some fares sold; it's 2x of actual miles for other fares sold; and 1x of actual miles flown for most fares. [1x of actual miles flown = ZERO bonus.]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.