Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Slight LC: PAX stealing silverware from WBC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl

NW26 during the first week of March: After breakfast was finished upon landing, witnessed 77K slip silverware towards his thigh, as if he were sitting on them. Then when his tray was taken from him, he looked back and checked around before standing up, getting his bag and slipping said silverware into his bag. Now I'm not calling anyone out or getting anyone in trouble (hence ambiguous time period), but with the impending transition to DL, I am curious to see how often this is happening now, and if there will be consequences if one is caught red-handed by an FA
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:54 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Somewhere here, there's another thread or 2 about the people "COLLECTING" NW service items that are due to disappear very SOON! Typically, I've asked, before just taking stuff - - and I've been EXTREMELY surprised at the not only the cooperation, but ASSISTANCE by FA's!! Once, I had a very sweet little old lady school teacher type (sorry for this description) FC FA load me up a plastic bag full of stuff! She kept saying - - Is this OK? Is this OK? Is this OK? I told her I was only asking for a coffee mug - but I won't say no!! I have taken a couple of things, even while sitting next to an off duty employee who told me to go ahead - and I feel kind of guilty - but I know it'll all be gone soon anyway. AND a FA told me that all of that stuff is slated to be DESTROYED - not sold!! Can somebody confirm or deny this?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
I'm not collecting... yet.

I've seen some generosity from FA's since the merger was announced, although usually while traveling with my kid (cuteness, evidently, gets one things like playing cards, reading lights, etc). I've heard the inflight product (food, uniforms, etc.) changes at the end of March, and I have some flights in both domestic F and WBC right around then, so I might ask nicely about getting a few pieces of flatware. I don't want any kind of glassware, as nice as it may be.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
AND a FA told me that all of that stuff is slated to be DESTROYED - not sold!! Can somebody confirm or deny this?
I heard service items would be auctioned in bulk in MSP... I think the FA said if I wanted an NW barcalounger they're sometimes up for sale as well LOL

While we're on the subject of keepsakes, if you're a red-tail enthusiast who never got a 'first flight' certificate as a child - FAs have been handing them out!! They even come with some adhesive 'wings'...

Here is a pic:

http://tinyurl.com/c9qfcw
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
AND a FA told me that all of that stuff is slated to be DESTROYED - not sold!! Can somebody confirm or deny this?
I would not believe destroyed as in NW just taking the stuff out back to be thrown into a dumpster.... But I would believe that the metal items would be sold off for scrap.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: SM PM, HH Gold, CO Plat, MR Silver
I simply asked a flight attendant if I could buy a NW coffee mug from her in flight. She said "no," took my used coffee mug away before landing...and gave me clean mug to take home.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
I have to admit I've amassed quite a silverware/glassware collection over the last several years, actually. It's crazy to think they might destroy this stuff rather than sell it thru the airline memorabilia dealers/shows, etc. I mean, what good could it do anyone if it fell into the "wrong hands"?

I rely on those shows to fill out my various collections!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by td_in_training
I heard service items would be auctioned in bulk in MSP... I think the FA said if I wanted an NW barcalounger they're sometimes up for sale as well LOL

While we're on the subject of keepsakes, if you're a red-tail enthusiast who never got a 'first flight' certificate as a child - FAs have been handing them out!! They even come with some adhesive 'wings'...

Here is a pic:
Which one is you in the pic?

I'd like to attend in MSP! Imagine if they did it in ATL !! Can anyone use a pallet of NW logo napkins? Maybe if you own a bar in Detroit! Can't someone here nudge them to announce it here on FT? - - - but then . . . shhh . . . the more people there - the higher the prices will be!!

Living in PIT, I called US years ago - someone gave me a special number to a guy who handled selling that kind of stuff - to ask about buying old airplane seats for my livingroom. For some reason that I can't remember, I didn't do it. Years later, I came across his # and called it. Same department - a diff guy who told me that they don't sell that stuff anymore!! There's a bar in Berlin (Where I am now, actually) that had airplane seats lined up against the walls for YEARS!! They just recently changed the decor! I do see a few sets on eBay!!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I think there's a line to be drawn here. If someone is saving flatware/glassware as momentos, that's fine, IMHO. But if someone is taking flatware/glassware to sell on eBay, that's probably not as fine.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
I think there's a line to be drawn here. If someone is saving flatware/glassware as momentos, that's fine, IMHO. But if someone is taking flatware/glassware to sell on eBay, that's probably not as fine.
I agree completely! When I mentioned above that I saw a few sets on eBay, I meant SEATS!! - Old TWA seats, etc!! But I know there's a TON of other stuff too! I remember a few years ago seeing a post on eBay that went something like this . . .

CO BusinessFirst Blanket - - Just took it off the plane!!

WOW!! The GALL!!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
FA Giving away coffee mugs

I flew on a WBC flight recently on an A330 where the Purser was giving anyone who wanted a coffee mug with the NW logo one. She was joking with a fellow and he said he was going to take it, and she said sure no problem. She gave him and his two buddies each one....
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:19 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Ever since the merger was announced I've been making some disappear (all FA's said it was ok). It's to the point where my cupboard is full of the stuff. Will I sell it on ebay? No way in hell, NW was my airline and it will always be.

My place is full of NW stuff and no DL stuff has a home here.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I have to wonder if there's really a market for all that NW would have to sell. At the CO DO IV they were giving out boxed coffee/tea settings for 4. I believe they'd been trying to sell them through CO's store. My impression is that they were overwhelmed by the supply -- far more old coffee/tea service sets than they could sell or conveniently give away.

There's probably much more NW tableware circulating in the system than most of us would imagine.

But I don't condone stealing it. Asking & receiving is fine.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
I asked the WC agent in Manila if I could have the 747 NW plane model they have in the club there. She said it would be OK if I could carry it onto the plane!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:56 pm
formerly jasperjugan

Programs: DL SkyMiles Gold Medallion, Marriott Rewards Gold Elite, A|Club Gold, PR Mabuhay Miles Base Member
Originally Posted by secretsea18
I asked the WC agent in Manila if I could have the 747 NW plane model they have in the club there. She said it would be OK if I could carry it onto the plane!
haha no kidding she said that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.