Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

what happens when there are no seats online?

Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

i dont leave for japan until march 29 (i'm in usa). i bought my ticket with delta skymiles but the flight is on northwest. just recently the main flight from dtw to nrt was cancelled and now im on a different flight from dtw to minneapolis to nrt. i go to look at my itinerary online and there are no seats to pick from on the dtw to minneapolis flight. the only seats that are free are premium seats and i'm not allowed to pick that. what is my next step? i need to get on this flight!
my class says it is W.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
You will be able to select those seats 24 hours before departure or at airport.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

ok.
will i be able to do anything with the e-first upgrade with a W class ticket? it says certain people can upgrade to first for a "nominal fee" 24 hrs before flight. will i be eligible? and what kind of fee should i expect?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by sumisusan
ok.
will i be able to do anything with the e-first upgrade with a W class ticket? it says certain people can upgrade to first for a "nominal fee" 24 hrs before flight. will i be eligible? and what kind of fee should i expect?
Highly unlikely.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
damn....im in the same boat, bought ticket on NWA using FF miles for next thurs to NYC, no seats, class W, was hoping some way to squeeze a first upgrade out of it!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
damn....im in the same boat, bought ticket on NWA using FF miles for next thurs to NYC, no seats, class W, was hoping some way to squeeze a first upgrade out of it!
Likely no. Unless you're an elite. What they'll do is upgrade elites into F, which frees up seats in Y, and then put you there.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
One never knows...

I booked HNL-MSP-DTW-FRA, leaving today, a month ago. I had a PU465 certificate left from last year's Elite Extra Perks, so I used it, but the HNL-MSP flight was booked solid up front a month out, which surprised me until I realized I'd booked a Friday departure. At least I had F MSP-DTW and J DTW-FRA, not much to complain about.

I glanced at Seatcounter a couple times over the month, and always it showed P0F0 for HNL-MSP.

Getting on a flight from a neighbor island today to come over to HNL, I pulled it up on my phone. Still P0F0.

Got to the HNL WC, mentioned how surprised I was that F had been full a month out. K.K. and M. said that it was because Delta pax had figured out the seats were better on the HNL-MSP flight than on the HNL-ATL one. Then they both started typing on their terminals, and the dialogue went like this:

K: Actually, there's one seat available, would you like to do a paid upgrade?
M: I don't see any seats available!
K: That's because I just took it for him!

I just about fell over (partly from laughter). Between 7 and 5 hours ahead of my flight's departure, someone had evidently cancelled, just in time for me to walk into the WC and buy up. Of course, I wouldn't have known if it hadn't been for the awesome HNL WC ladies.

Now if I could just find a WBC seat to sit in for the 8-hour layover at DTW...
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by DanTravels
K: Actually, there's one seat available, would you like to do a paid upgrade?
M: I don't see any seats available!
K: That's because I just took it for him!
Could they not just process the upgrade under the PU465? Or is it too late for them to do that?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by slippahs
Could they not just process the upgrade under the PU465? Or is it too late for them to do that?
Pretty sure it would have had to open up 2+ days out for the PU465 to be usable, yeah. But oh well... I give 'em an extra $350 about once a year 'cos they're nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.