MEM is goota be the worst NW hub

Old Mar 7, 09, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
MEM is goota be the worst NW hub

...!! What kind of international airport doesn't have a duty free shop!! I'm never connecting here ever again.
Old Mar 7, 09, 12:22 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
The kind of airport that does not have enough international departures (and therefore enough potential customers) to warrant paying the rent for the space in the airport!

Do they have a little roving cart, with a few of the most popular items, that sets up shop near the gate of any international flight and then moves on?
Old Mar 7, 09, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
The whole idea of duty free stores in the USA is a bit silly since there's no price difference (at least not in a positive way) with what you get in a normal store. Contrast that with Europe with its super high taxes on alcohol, cigarettes, etc.
Old Mar 7, 09, 12:37 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
There is only one flight to AMS & maybe some to Mexico.

MEM is a simple, easy to connect hub without any frills and the best damn BBQ in any airport!

Many "international" airports don't even have flights abroad!
Old Mar 7, 09, 12:40 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Who cares.

You CAN get duty-free Barbeque at Interstate and Corky's. And that makes it the best hub!

Last edited by tvnwz; Mar 7, 09 at 8:26 pm
Old Mar 7, 09, 12:45 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
There is a foreign exchange place though
Old Mar 7, 09, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
All I can say is WOWOWOW!! I usually base my flights on price/dates/times/miles/seating/aircraft type, but to say NEVER AGAIN because of NO DUTY FREE SHOP!?!? I'm not even AWARE of duty free shops! They're INVISIBLE to me!! As far as MEM goes, I'd BOOK flights thru MEM juts to have a meal at INTERSTATE BBQ!!! Yumm!! - even though PIT/MEM flights are CR2's
Old Mar 7, 09, 1:21 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD View Post
MEM is a simple, easy to connect hub without any frills and the best damn BBQ in any airport!
EXACTLY! i try to force at least one connection a year through MEM just to get some AMAZING BBQ.

...everything else at the airport is fairly sub-par.
Old Mar 7, 09, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
HA! I've always wondered what type of a person would shop at a duty free store I guess one that won't fly thru MEM.
Old Mar 7, 09, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Duty free is a ripoff for most of the items. Don't they offer it on the plane, anyway?

As others have noted, MEM provides quick connections, is pretty reliable for ontime departures, has a decent WorldClub, and two excellent sources of BBQ. NW has two other outstanding hubs in MSP and DTW, so I guess you could say MEM is NW's "worst" by some measures, but I'll take it over most other airlines' hubs. I'm sure ATL and ORD and EWR have great duty free shops but no sane person would go out of their way to connect at any of them.
Old Mar 7, 09, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
MEM is a good hub. Despite the drab, outdated interior, the flights typically run on time due to generally good weather and long and plentiful runways, connections are well-timed, short, and easy to make, and Jim Neely's Interstate Bar-B-Que is excellent. About the only complaint I have is that the WorldClub could use a shower (but I understand why it doesn't have one since the only long haul flight it services is AMS).
Old Mar 7, 09, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
hw711, I "gotta" know -- what precious duty free item were you looking for, that you were not able to procure.

Also, the thread title wins my personal award for funniest of the month.

"MEM is goota be the worst NW hub"

I would say that using the word "gotta" is suspect to begin with...

But, "is goota" --- now, that's really funny.
Old Mar 7, 09, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Braniff View Post
The whole idea of duty free stores in the USA is a bit silly since there's no price difference (at least not in a positive way) with what you get in a normal store. Contrast that with Europe with its super high taxes on alcohol, cigarettes, etc.
I respectfully disagree, at least in the area of alcohol and cigarettes. For example: a carton of Marlboro Lights in Chicaho costs about $75, while at Duty Free ORD its $26. In DTW the difference is $47 in the city vs. $26 at the airport.

Savings at Duty Free can be quite significant, when it comes to cigs and alcohol. For other items the price difference is negligible.
Old Mar 7, 09, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
MEM isn't bad, I rank it up there with CLE - decent but too many RJ's and not enough backup flight options if the s**t hits the fan - so myself I try to connect in DTW as much as possible but that is getting more and more difficult as DL takes over
Old Mar 7, 09, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
I actually prefer MEM for some of the reasons already given as well as some unique to me:

1) Decent WC (although I concur that showers would be nice)

2) Excellent BBQ (Neely's Interstate and Corky's)

3) Most of the time, it is centrally located between where I am and where I need to be.

4) If IRROPS break out, enough flights to DTW, MSP, and ATL to generally get me where I need to go in a timely fashion, even if it means a second connection.

5) It ain't the ATL, so as a PM I'm likely getting the u/g.

6) If WX or IRROPS stick me there, I've got a number of friends and family in the area who will pick me up, but I'll call only after I've had some pork sandwiches.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: