Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Cannot use SWU on international DL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver

Checked into using my two SWU's for an upgrade on a DL international flight and no go. The NW agent said maybe in the future, but not now.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:10 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
At least for PU503s, the T&Cs specifically state NW/KLM routing only.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:21 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Currently DL Plat Medallions cannot use their certificates on NW. I was glad to see NW issuing certificates for Y, B AND M class, as M class is what Platinum Medallions can use with their certificates.

My hope is that this indicates M class will in the future become an upgradeable fare with miles, as DL allows Y/B and M for mileage upgrades on international fares. Since NW moved this season to provide 150% EQM for M class and 150% banked miles bonus for Y/B/M fares (which is what DL has done in the Sky Miles program for years), I suspect the programs are moving into alignment.

When the Worldperks program merges into DL's, I'll be curious to see what happens with the KLM alliance. Will the program remain the same and everyone will be able to use miles to upgrade on KLM flights or will that relationship with KLM end or possibly expand to AF?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Bumping this to see if anyone has been able to (or has tried to) get a DL segment upgraded using the PU503 certs. I have two DL segments in M class on an itinerary booked through nwa.com and on 012 stock. One is ticketed as a NW codeshare.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
As I understand it, the reason you can't use the upgrades across Delta and NW is that the NW "coupons" are electronic and the Delta ones are paper. Delta's advanced IT is not able to handle electronic certs.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Called this morning and confirmed that the ability to upgrade DL flights with the NW certs is "coming soon". Very frustrating, as the timing of the connection thru ATL made the trip work. I was also disappointed to learn that ATL-NRT is serviced by the 777-200ER, with the old BE seats, but that alone probably wouldn't have been a deal-breaker. Anyway, I just canceled the trip, which was a M fare MR for daughter and I to SIN. ~$4,000 revenue lost.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: DL (suckered me into) Diamond, ICH Plat RA, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Stripe
Called this morning and confirmed that the ability to upgrade DL flights with the NW certs is "coming soon". Very frustrating, as the timing of the connection thru ATL made the trip work. I was also disappointed to learn that ATL-NRT is serviced by the 777-200ER, with the old BE seats, but that alone probably wouldn't have been a deal-breaker. Anyway, I just canceled the trip, which was a M fare MR for daughter and I to SIN. ~$4,000 revenue lost.
Very cool. Did they mention if we could use SWUs on DL flights soon too?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Any more word on exactly when this is going to be solved?

I've got a residual value from a Delta ticket that would pay for an international M fare run for triple miles. If I find an all-northwest metal international flight schedule that I can book on Delta (whatever that means these days) - is it upgradeable right now? Or is the answer it depends? If so, what does it further depend on?

I'd really prefer to do a trip to SCL in late May, but of course that will be, at least in the ATL to SCL segments, native Delta segments, which it seems are not upgradeable with the NW Platinum SWUs for the time being.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:11 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by GrizShel
I've got a residual value from a Delta ticket that would pay for an international M fare run for triple miles. If I find an all-northwest metal international flight schedule that I can book on Delta (whatever that means these days) - is it upgradeable right now? Or is the answer it depends? If so, what does it further depend on?
Sadly, no. The Ts&Cs of the SWU say it has to be on NW ticket stock (012). I almost thought I had worked around all this BS tonight... Had booked something on Delta's site with my DL credit, but when I called NW to upgrade it, they said it'd have to be on NW ticket stock (and there it was in the rules in my SWU email). Grrr.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Any more word on exactly when this is going to be solved?
According to the DL website, this month (April) under "Learn more":

WorldPerks Platinum Elites and SkyMiles Platinum Medallions’ ability to redeem systemwide upgrade certificates on both Delta and Northwest operated flights.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:53 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Is this going to be possible?

Here's my situation:

I've been PM on DL for about 4 years. I am also Platinum on NW via a status match to AA late last year (thanks lucky9876coins!). I received 6 NW platinum systemwide upgrades that I would like to use to upgrade DL domestic K-class tickets. I have no interest in crediting flights to NW.

Will I supposedly be able to do the following soon (or maybe even as of a few days ago)?:

Book a K-class DL numbered & operated domestic ticket on DL.com using my DL PM #.

Call (who DL or NW??) to upgrade using a NW Platinum Systemwide upgrade.

Credit the flights to my DL account number, basically never using my NW account number except for the Sytemwide upgrade?

Last edited by The Mileage Millionaire; May 18, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.