Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Your next issue of "World Traveler" will be your last!

Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM

No, td_in_training is not threatening you... but those of you who, like me, are collecting NWA memorabilia as we are assimilated will want to grab the March issue of World Traveler.

On Page 10, our dear leader announces that:

"In April, a new lifestyle magazine will debut on all Delta Air Lines flights, including those operated by Northwest Airlines. Delta fliers may recognize the publication's name - Sky"

Some other choice quotes:

"We are also working quickly to bring NWA's WorldPerks program into the Delta SkyMiles program..."

"As we work to complete the merging of NWA into Delta..."

C'mon Richard!! You don't have to be a Dick about it!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:26 pm

All employees will be wearing Delta uniforms at the very end of this month. And I haven't found an authoritative answer whether the catering will be all Delta style at the end of the month, also.

In other words, this is the last month to get the traditional red tail experience.

Good or bad, depending on your subjective opinion.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PE, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Got my final copy this morning on my flight from MSP to JFK.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm going to grab the one that's in the seatback in front of me.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
No surprises here ... it was only a matter of time. Why keep publishing two magazines? There is no value in it, given that everything will be branded "Delta" soon enough.

I used to save memorabilia like this. However, I've found that I just end up tossing those same things some years later, so I think I'll stick with just my memories, and skip bringing more junk into the house.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
FWIW, it sounds like the only thing about the inflight magazine that's coming over is the name "Sky." This was the current publisher's last issue (there's a letter from one of the editors after the Richard letter and the Delta People page); I believe the current publisher of WT is taking it over (but it sounds like it's going to be a completely new concept).
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:40 pm

I wonder if they will publish a Japanese edition like they usually did until this month. The Japanese one is very thin but it has good information about restaurants and stuff. It was very well written and I enjoyed every single copy But I am not holding my breath...
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL 2MM GM
two flights today (3/1) and both had the Feb issue in the seat back
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
All employees will be wearing Delta uniforms at the very end of this month. And I haven't found an authoritative answer whether the catering will be all Delta style at the end of the month, also.

In other words, this is the last month to get the traditional red tail experience.

Good or bad, depending on your subjective opinion.
Catering will be Delta style adding a few plusses from the NWA side.

Delta will re-introduce meals on shorter flights (950miles is the threshold I've heard, or 2.5hrs plus flight-time).

The Delta snackbasket in F will include the fresh fruit options NWA serves. Sadly, SunChips are going to be going away.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:50 pm
azj

Crank - it takes at least a couple days for the month to month issue change over.

As for onboard service... the bulk of it changes on April 1.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by azj
Crank - it takes at least a couple days for the month to month issue change over.

As for onboard service... the bulk of it changes on April 1.
How appropriate - April Fool's Day! I wish the merger were an April Fool's joke that would soon go away.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I don't have any NW flights scheduled for this year. Can someone please pick me up a copy?

If you're coming to the Freddies award in FLL, I'll get it then.

Thanks! ^
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by tomh009
No surprises here ... it was only a matter of time. Why keep publishing two magazines? There is no value in it, given that everything will be branded "Delta" soon enough.
I'm not sure anyone suggested publishing two magazines. It seems the OP was simply letting others know this would be their last chance to read WorldTraveler.

I, for one, always found the featured destinations articles to be very good. You know the ones I'm talking about, the ones where they feature a destination and give you a sample two or three-day itinerary with places to eat, visit, shop, sleep, etc. It was usually a good mix of higher-end and budget. And the focus sections on MSP, DTW, MEM, and some of the other focus cities let me know about some of the new places to wine & dine at, even in my own hometown!

I hope some of the writing talent is brought into Sky. I do know that the current WorldTraveler publisher will be publishing Sky going forward, but I don't know if any of the content will be brought over.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I hope some of the writing talent is brought into Sky. I do know that the current WorldTraveler publisher will be publishing Sky going forward, but I don't know if any of the content will be brought over.
I do agree -- World Traveler has always been top-notch; let's hope that the publisher continues their good work with Sky.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
Delta will re-introduce meals on shorter flights (950miles is the threshold I've heard, or 2.5hrs plus flight-time).

The Delta snackbasket in F will include the fresh fruit options NWA serves. Sadly, SunChips are going to be going away.
900 miles is the threshold that Richard mentions in his letter this month. Which is good since that means MSP-ATL will get meals now!

But no SunChips! No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Revolt!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.