Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Fuel Surcharge Ripoff

Malaysia Airlines Fuel Surcharge Ripoff

Old Apr 12, 10, 1:20 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
Once, a NW agent told me that if you are using NW/WP miles to get an award ticket on a partner airline, NW rules apply, as it is still a NW award, though, on a partner airline. In other words, if NW doesn't charge fuel surcharge for an award on that route, the partner won't be able to either.
Disclaimer: The Only WP partners on which I have redeemed our miles have been CO, KL, and AF.
Definitely that agent was incorrect. MH will collect the surcharge no later than check-in on day of flight, unless you get really lucky such as one of the above posters that slipped through the cracks repeatedly on an entire PNR. I thought this had been pretty well known for the last several years, as it's been the case with redemptions on MH for quite a while...but obviously the word hadn't been that widespread and agents must not have been up to speed to inform travellers BEFORE the tickets were issued. That said, as long as you pretty much know what the surcharge will be before you book the ticket (easily checked out by the MH website-dummy itinerary-method), it could still be a reasonable proposition. But it depends on your routing, your available airline alternatives, and your alternative uses for the NW/DL miles.
Old Jul 9, 10, 11:18 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/MM, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm booking one of these now. Looks like DL is now collecting the surcharge itself at ticket issuance, roughly $400 in taxes and surcharges for LAX-(TPE)-KUL-vv., on top of the 120,000 miles for the Business Class seat.
Old Jul 10, 10, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
I'm booking one of these now. Looks like DL is now collecting the surcharge itself at ticket issuance, roughly $400 in taxes and surcharges for LAX-(TPE)-KUL-vv., on top of the 120,000 miles for the Business Class seat.
Just flow LAX-TPE, and had no request for surcharge when checking in at LAX- then again, I didn't continue on to KUL. Doing a dummy booking on MHs website, it looked like the FS would have only been around 60 bucks anyways, so not a giant inconvenience if they asked.
Old Jul 12, 10, 6:05 am

I adjusted my itinerary by adding a stopover in KL and KUL-BKK-vv in Business. Adding the BKK legs cost no additional miles (still 120,000) but about $100 in extra taxes and fuel surcharge (part of which is the 700 baht BKK departure tax, of course). The KUL-BKK-vv legs are on a 737, so no great shakes. But for an extra hundred bucks and no additional miles, easily worth it.

So here's what I wound up with: LAX-(TPE)-KUL, stopover for 5 days, KUL-BKK, stay for five days, BKK-KUL-(TPE)-LAX, all in Business = 120,000 and about $500 in taxes and fuel surcharges. ATL-LAX-vv gateway connections were available on DL but only at the medium redemption level, meaning it would have cost an additional 40,000 miles EACH WAY. No thanks. I'll buy those tickets and earn some miles back.

This is for next May. Got the exact flights and dates I wanted.
Old Nov 7, 10, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier
Now that DL is charging this fuel surcharge directly into award tickets on MH - if MH reduces the amount of these surcharges for future travel and you have a DL award booked on MH - do you think you can call in and get a refund for the reduced fuel surcharge amount?
Old Nov 13, 10, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by beofotch View Post
Now that DL is charging this fuel surcharge directly into award tickets on MH - if MH reduces the amount of these surcharges for future travel and you have a DL award booked on MH - do you think you can call in and get a refund for the reduced fuel surcharge amount?
I don't think DL every willingly gives any money back.

Perhaps if you canceled the ticket, but a fee for non-elites and elites up to gold.
Old Feb 5, 11, 3:22 pm

Just wondered if anyone has recently booked an award trip on Malaysia Airlines and had to pay the fuel surcharge. I did a dummy booking on the Malaysia website, and for LAX-BKK, the fuelcharge was $478, making this an unappealing way to use DL miles to get to BKK.
Old Jun 2, 11, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
For the record, I just completed this trip. I was not asked for any additional collection at checkin in LAX or on the return leg.

I'll also note that the seat pitch in MH J is very good. It felt like about 4 inches more pitch than similar seats on KE or AF, at least in my seat in row 2 on the 777. I could easily scoot in front of the pax next to me when she was fully reclined in sleep without having to climb over her at all.

The food on MH was decent but not great, although the coffee made in a real French press was excellent. The in-flight service on MH94/95 gets a noticeable downgrade on the KUL-TPE sector as compared to the transpacs-- that's just lame and cheap of MH.

KUL-BKK-vv was 737 service with basically Delta domestic First quality seats in Business Class, although that should improve once MH's new 737-800's get rolled out on that route.

Food on Korean Air is definitely better than on MH. Seats and a/c too are better to major destinations intra-Asia. If you can avoid the blackout dates on KE, I'd much rather take a KE award than an MH award (thus saving ~$400 in surcharges), unless my actual destination is Malaysia, as it was on this trip.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Jun 2, 11 at 8:26 am
Old Jun 2, 11, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
MH fuel charge ripoff

Same here with DL charging me $400 in MH fuel charges for flights from BKK-KUL-SYD in addition to 120,000 miles