Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
My standby adventure this weekend

I booked this award flights

1/31
NW135 ORD->MSP
DL4871 MSP->SLC

2/1
NW1169 SLC->MSP->MDW

I took NW135 as booked but when I got to MSP, there was an earlier NW flight so I went to the counter and ask to standby the flight. No problem, NW was able to take over the Delta ticket. One strange thing though. After being added on the standby list, I saw myself as number 4 on upgrade list with 2 spots left. 2 minutes later, the agent called my name and handed me a first class ticket and announced first class is full. I have no idea how I jump in front of the other 3 people.

This morning, I decided to go to the airport early to see if I can get on the DL direct from SLC to ORD. The lady at the medalian ticketing counter (NW check in is at DL counter at SLC) was not very helpful. She kept on saying Delta doesn't do standby and there is nothing she can do for me. So she printed me the boarding pass for my original itinerary and said that's the best she can do. Geez, thanks. After I gone to securty, I went to the DL direct flight's gate and ask to standby on the flight. The Delta GA was actually helpful and spent like 5 minutes trying but he couldn't take over the NW ticket. He told me to go to NW and get them to release the ticket then he may be able to put me on his flight. But my alternative option (earlier NW flight to MSP) was leaving in 20 minutes so I decided not to risk it and went for the earlier NW flight to MSP. Ugghh...last minute standby on a full plane is no fun. I haven't sat in a non-elite couch seat in 5 years. When I got to MSP, there was yet another earlier flight to MDW leaving in 25 minutes. So I ran as fast as I could from G16 to F4 (not close especially since part of the moving walkway is under renovation) and got there just as they were waiting for the wheelchair assistant person to come to push the last passenger onto the plane. The GA at first gave me a couch ticket. When I got on the plane, there were 7 empty seats in F so I went back to the counter and got me an F seat. I thought upgrade is automatic, again, strange.
Old Feb 1, 09, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Is there a class above Y & F where there are COUCH seats? I've never been in one of those!
Old Feb 1, 09, 4:40 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
DL, like NW, does not allow changes in routing for standby travel.
Old Feb 1, 09, 4:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
This has been verified over and over here on this forum with links to the nwa.com info about it.

Note that though I don't like the non-elite coach seats either, if I standby for a flight, it is with the understanding I will get one of the least desirable seats on the plane. Last one on=worst seat. I was fortunate with a mechanical problem and standby last Monday to get on a fairly full flight and be upgraded to F at the same time. I would have been more than happy to have just been in any seat on that plane by that time!
Old Feb 1, 09, 5:14 pm

Really? I was scheduled to fly LAX to MSP to MKE a couple weeks ago. NW let me go standby (at kiosk checkin) on the non-stop LAX to MKE filght. I got on the flight and even got an "F" seat (gold upgrade).

It is my understanding, though, that they wouldn't let me go standby via DTW or any other hub.
Old Feb 1, 09, 5:51 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; HH DIA; AClub, PC Plat; MR Gold
Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
Really? I was scheduled to fly LAX to MSP to MKE a couple weeks ago. NW let me go standby (at kiosk checkin) on the non-stop LAX to MKE filght. I got on the flight and even got an "F" seat (gold upgrade).

It is my understanding, though, that they wouldn't let me go standby via DTW or any other hub.
Often times I am provided with different routing options (different flights, different connecting hubs) at online check-in, especially when the flight I am on is apparently quite full. Seems like the computer options can be more generous than the human options. Many times, these are also confirmed changes, not just standby options, with no fee collected.
Old Feb 1, 09, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
They'll definitely let you change routing if it gets you off an oversold flight.

Also, battlefield upgrades do require manual intervention to actually process, so if you clear the standby list after the GA has already processed the upgrade list and the GA doesn't go process the upgrade list again, you'll end up with a Y seat. So make sure you ask.
Old Feb 1, 09, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fti View Post
This has been verified over and over here on this forum with links to the nwa.com info about it.

Note that though I don't like the non-elite coach seats either, if I standby for a flight, it is with the understanding I will get one of the least desirable seats on the plane. Last one on=worst seat. I was fortunate with a mechanical problem and standby last Monday to get on a fairly full flight and be upgraded to F at the same time. I would have been more than happy to have just been in any seat on that plane by that time!
When you do standby, often you can ask the GA if you have a shot at first. They can tell you before you officially go on standby. Also, often there are many other pax on standby or not even with seat assignments. As an elite, you should be cleared first and given seats before those pax so your chances improve.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
Often times I am provided with different routing options (different flights, different connecting hubs) at online check-in, especially when the flight I am on is apparently quite full. Seems like the computer options can be more generous than the human options. Many times, these are also confirmed changes, not just standby options, with no fee collected.
This has happened many times to me as well. Typically though it is just the confirmed (FlyNow) options, but it also lists alt routings for standby, but it says "Not Available." Not sure if truly means NA, or if it means against rules.
Old Feb 1, 09, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
When you do standby, often you can ask the GA if you have a shot at first. They can tell you before you officially go on standby. Also, often there are many other pax on standby or not even with seat assignments. As an elite, you should be cleared first and given seats before those pax so your chances improve.
Except for those who are standing by from an IRROPs situation
Old Feb 12, 09, 1:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
Except for those who are standing by from an IRROPs situation
...which mine was (mechanical). So at that point as a standby for an earlier-than-confirmed flight, I was just glad to get on the plane vs. getting F or a better Y seat.
Old Feb 12, 09, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
not true ... I got a standby SEA-DTW instead of SEA-MSP-DTW w/o any problems at the gate. It required some work by the GA, but it was possible and she confirmed me in F right away
Old Feb 12, 09, 2:41 pm

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
Agents can pretty much do whatever they want. Policy states "no changes to routing" but in practice, an agent can do it if they want to.

I missed the DTW-IND portion of DTW-IND-MSP-SNA. Ticket agents in DTW said that I could not change my routing eventhough waiting for the next DTW-IND-MSP flights would cause me to miss the last MSP-SNA flight. They said they'd be happy to collect the $1,500 fair difference to put me on the DTW-MSP flight instead though. Finally I got an agent that put me on the DTW-MSP flight and in F to boot (before I was elite) and made my original MSP-SNA connection.

Also for and ATL-DTW flight I tried to fly standby on an earlier flight, asked the GA, she said not to bother, the flight is completely full, I asked to be put on the list just in case and handed her my PE card, she then handed me a ticket in F.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: