Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Customers First 24 hour Cancellation Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP

I had purchased a ticket on nwa.com last month, for a quick weekend trip out to (warmer than Minneapolis) Burbank. However, the next day, I decided I'd rather save my $200 (plus hotel costs, etc.) and stay at home in MSP that weekend (I'm traveling a bit already this month...some time at home would be good).

Thus, I canceled the flight online, no real problems.

I'm reviewing my credit card statements tonight and see that NW took my $200 on 12/31 (ticket was booked on 12/29, canceled on 12/30), but has yet to refund it.

My experiences with Delta have been good on these 24-hour cancellations - shows up on my CC a day or two later (yes, DL does do some things right). I was just wondering if it was pretty common for NW to take 3+ weeks to refund the money, or if should shoot them an e-mail.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:48 pm

shouldn't take 3+ weeks. shoot them an email.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
there should be a difference bewteen posting dates and transaction dates on your Credit Card, maybe the refund just missed the Dec statment, i'd call your creditcard company, NW will just tell you they've already made the refund
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by spkg
there should be a difference bewteen posting dates and transaction dates on your Credit Card, maybe the refund just missed the Dec statment, i'd call your creditcard company, NW will just tell you they've already made the refund
I don't think that's it, simply because I don't get paper statements and monitor all activity online (which is very up-to-date - it shows my purchase for lunch today already!). Not to mention, statement closed Dec. 26 or so (right before I made the purchase), so the billing period hasn't rolled over.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by mersk862
I don't think that's it, simply because I don't get paper statements and monitor all activity online (which is very up-to-date - it shows my purchase for lunch today already!). Not to mention, statement closed Dec. 26 or so (right before I made the purchase), so the billing period hasn't rolled over.
Definitely send an e-mail via TTU for your refund. Usually takes 1-2 weeks but never as late as 3.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: World Perks -base
You request the refund, but it can take up to two weeks for it to post back to your credit card, and another billing cycle for it to show up. Maybe look at your current activity online, or call res and have them look up the pnr. They'll tell you right away if it's active or refunded. More than likely, it's refunded and still processing.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:05 am

I just had a refund which took about 3 weeks. Maybe there is just a large backlog due to all the winter storm cancellations.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:48 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
Anyone know how long it takes for a refund when you have a DL flight on the itinerary? I had to fill out the form, and a phone rep told me that it will take longer, but as long as I requested it within 24 hours I should be fine.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
It is taking longer right now.

I booked tix on 26th December, cancelled on 27th December, refund did not show up until 15th January - so just shy of 3 weeks.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the update guys. What I'll do is ask one of the WC agents at MSP tomorrow to check the status of that PNR. Based on what you guys are saying though, there's a bit of a backlog, so I'm not too concerned.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:10 am
mk1

Time estimate for a 24-hour cancel refund (had to fill out form)

How long does it normally take for NW to process a Customers First refund when you have to fill out the form? I had a couple DL flights which I suspect is making the process take longer.

I sent in the request last Thursday (within 24 hour window) and I can still view my itinerary online.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I sent mine in Dec. 30 and am still waiting...

I posted a thread about this about a week ago - general consensus in there was that it was a little backlogged right now, but it's normally pretty quick.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
I think its always taken a while (1-2 weeks) but I was told in December that it would take a bit longer because of the holidays. Plat phone agent verified that it was "in process." Sure enough had the refund 2-3 weeks after cancellation.

I believe the refund department looks at all cancellations manually to verify that they are entitled to a refund and therefore it takes a bit of time. It seems like they could enter a simple command into their software to refund automatically if you cancel within 24 hours.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Go to nwa.com and call up the reservation with the original confirmation number. It should still come up, although none of the flight segments will be listed. Click on the ticket number and then scroll down to see the list of segments. Each should have "Refunded" next to it. That at least shows the refund got into the system correctly.

Sinceit's been weeks and you haven't yet received either the credit or at least an email saying the refund was approved, there is probably a glitch somewhere in the system. Next step is to call the refund department (not the regular number). Hopefully they will tell you everything is in process. But they may tell you the refund was rejected. Be prepared to prove you actually did request the refund the next day. You did make a printout when it said "Print a copy for your records" didn't you? Did you get an email acknowledgement after you submitted the refund request?

Overall I've found the refunds coming a bit slower in recent months but it shouldn't take this long.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:08 am
mk1

I checked the status of my refund online and it shows that they have processed it and issued a credit to my card. Still waiting for it to post however.

So, it looks like it took NW about a week and a half to process the request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.