Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye A330 from DTW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Platinum
Goodbye A330 from DTW

As has long been suspected by many, it appears as though the exodus of the A330's from DTW for transatlantic travel has begun. I noticed today that the equipment for a DTW-LHR flight I have booked in mid-May had changed from the A330 to "76D." The departure/arrival times and flight number also changed, and the flight is now listed as "Operated by Delta Air Lines." Interestingly, I did not recieve a schedule change notice until a few hours after I went into the reservation today. The return flight FRA-DTW is still an A330, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes, too.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I am not defending DL but...

Isn't this premature speculation?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:50 pm

Enjoy dropping down to those 18" seats.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This requires a new thread? The equipment changes for DL in 2009 has been long discussed. There are several A330's going to ATL, some to SLC (from PDX-NRT), etc.

-RM
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NW is still scheduled to have 330's to AMS(2), FRA, and the new seasonal FCO flight this summer. There is also a seasonal 744 to AMS again this summer. It's possible they could all eventually move to ATL, but it's not going to be this summer.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:33 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
On NW52 to FRA I was talking to one of the FA's and she was bemoaning the lack of TATL flights out of DTW to bid on.

BTW, at LAX Saturday morning was a 744 in Delta colors. I just about started crying
Old Jan 18, 2009, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LBJ
NW is still scheduled to have 330's to AMS(2), FRA, and the new seasonal FCO flight this summer. There is also a seasonal 744 to AMS again this summer. It's possible they could all eventually move to ATL, but it's not going to be this summer.
Yes, NW aircraft will be moved to ATL to be introduces service for ATL-HNL & ATL-NRT, too. It was both will be on B744 aircraft. I think that I could see ATL-TLV to become 744 aircraft instead of 777 aircraft. Those 777 aircraft will be freeing up. DL will have to get new routes will be introduces for JFK-TLV or JFK-DXB to become operated on 777 aircraft.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 4:44 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
(Already covered, expecting to see this thread merged, still, here's some comments...)

Originally Posted by LBJ
Win some, lose some. As others have said... some NW aircraft are going to ATL, some DL aircraft are coming to DTW. DTW Eur directs are down to AMS, FRA, LHR and FCO (seaonal, flight numbers and aircraft appear to be coming from CDG, CDG is still an AF direct on an A330, which actually ADDS a DTW TATL non-stop).

AMS still has a daily 747, and seasonal is still an A330. About the only thing I'm sure we'd all appreciate is being made aware of some kind of airfleet vision. I seem to be understanding the DL is converting all their 767s to international config, so you might see more DTW non-stops to Eur. Have you seen the routes that are direct from ATL?!

Imagine the mayhem on the DL board if one of the 777 lie-flats started doing a DTW-Japan route (freeing up a 747 for another 6500-7000 mile route?)...
Old Jan 18, 2009, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
On NW52 to FRA I was talking to one of the FA's and she was bemoaning the lack of TATL flights out of DTW to bid on.

BTW, at LAX Saturday morning was a 744 in Delta colors. I just about started crying
That flight originated in Hong Kong as NW12 to NRT and then went as NW2 to LAX. I was on the first leg from HKG and yes...it drove home the reality of the end of NW. I have been flying those NW 744's to and from Asia for many years....sad.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:06 am

Any bets on when we will lose the 330 MSP-HNL flight? I notice ATL-HNL is going to a 744 thus freeing two 764s...
/posted in the DCA WC waiting to fly up to Minnie for Northwest's best flight.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbagdon
(Already covered, expecting to see this thread merged, still, here's some comments...)

Win some, lose some. As others have said... some NW aircraft are going to ATL, some DL aircraft are coming to DTW. DTW Eur directs are down to AMS, FRA, LHR and FCO (seaonal, flight numbers and aircraft appear to be coming from CDG, CDG is still an AF direct on an A330, which actually ADDS a DTW TATL non-stop).

I would also note that AF is upgrading DTW-CDG from the A330 to a B777 for the summer.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott PP, UA 1K, DL Plat, AA Life Gold, WN A-List
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Any bets on when we will lose the 330 MSP-HNL flight? I notice ATL-HNL is going to a 744 thus freeing two 764s...
/posted in the DCA WC waiting to fly up to Minnie for Northwest's best flight.
September 1st, 2009, or shortly thereafter
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
If it's any small consolation, all DL LHR flights are supposed to have the new flat beds to better compete with BA and VS. Still sucks in back I'm sure.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Silver
AMS still has a daily 747, and seasonal is still an A330. About the only thing I'm sure we'd all appreciate is being made aware of some kind of airfleet vision. I seem to be understanding the DL is converting all their 767s to international config, so you might see more DTW non-stops to Eur. Have you seen the routes that are direct from ATL?!
As far as I know, all the 764s are operating ex-JFK or ex-ATL. Those are the "nice" 767s, with AVOD and powerports in Y and the new BE section. The 763s are being or have been renovated recently, with no AVOD or powerports in Y (some LED screen). From what I gather, this is the type that replaces the A333s on the NW routes. (If my conclusion or facts are offbase please someone from DL reply and make the appropriate corrections - I too am ** very ** interested in knowing the details of the subtypes of 767s and where they are assigned.)

It is also my definite conclusion that TATL traffic will preferably be routed via ATL and JFK, and that DTW and MSP will see no growth in TATL destinations or number of seats - except perhaps some 757 service to a restricted number of near-European destinations. (Once more, I'd appreciate if some DL person to point to facts indicating otherwise.)

Imagine the mayhem on the DL board if one of the 777 lie-flats started doing a DTW-Japan route (freeing up a 747 for another 6500-7000 mile route?)...
It is clear to me that the 777s will be kept on prestigious routes, and that DL does not consider former NW hubs to be sufficiently important to take some of the 777s from existing routes and shift them to service on NW routes. The argument appears to be that we never had 777 service before and did not suffer from this, so what is the basis for complaining? I'm betting that 777 service ex-DTW or MSP will occur only once the 747s start to be phased out of TPAC service.

I'm sorry to say that if we are to believe many of our DL-FTers friends and the actions of DL management, DTW and MSP are podunk hubs and we should be grateful for any TATL service.

Indeed, I remember that pre-merger some large companies in MSP wrote a letter to NW pointing out they were guaranteed some level of service and they expected the merged company to honor these contracts. I'm sure similar arrangements existed in DTW. These are probably what is saving MSP and DTW from further cuts.

All of this sounds pessimistic, but the news coming out of DL has not been particularly good for NW customers, and IMHO DL has made little effort to accommodate NW customer during the transition.

I'm depressed now. I will just sign off.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by respectable_man
It is clear to me that the 777s will be kept on prestigious routes
What defines a "prestigious route"?
Originally Posted by respectable_man
I'm sorry to say that if we are to believe many of our DL-FTers friends and the actions of DL management, DTW and MSP are podunk hubs and we should be grateful for any TATL service.
This whole thing is silly. They will move the planes were they think they will make the most money. Period end of sentence. Maybe they will be "biased" towards the Delta side but remember there are people that have their "input" that come from the NW side of the fence too. Surely Oscar hasn't forgotten that he worked there once too. If they thought that moving every 777 to DTW would make them even a little bit more money they would do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.