Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Allergy alert: Peanuts coming 2/1/09

Allergy alert: Peanuts coming 2/1/09

Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY

Presently I am only allergic to one thing on an airplane:

Economy Class!!
+1

I rather like the NW F nut selection. I really like the warm mixed nuts they do in WBC. I hope this isn't because some bean counter figured out it was cheaper to put peanuts on instead of more expensive tree nuts.

I also think the med kids should have epipens in them in the rare case someone goes into shock.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by motytrah
+1

I also think the med kids should have epipens in them in the rare case someone goes into shock.
The medical kits do have EPI-pens. I personally have opened up the medical kits, during medical emergencies. However, I agree that folks should have their own, and premedicate themselves with other anti-histamines (Benadryl for example) if they are that allergic.

On one of my recent NW flights (747) the purser made an announcement asking for everyone to refrain from eating anything brought on board that contained peanuts due to ONE person being allergic. We still got our nuts in WBC as the mix is all tree nuts. I was tempted to ask the purser if the person carried their own epi-pen, but decided to just mind my own business (unless they called for a doctor for an emergency, that is).

Personally, if I were so allergic to such a pervasive item such that an entire 747 had to not eat that item, I would undergo desensitization treatments to avoid trying to die every time anyone opened some peanut M&Ms.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:15 pm

No one knows (at least my child's allergist tells me that no one knows) the true reason for the increased incidence of food allergies in recent years. Glad to know there are so many self-styled medical experts here on Flyertalk to reveal the truth behind this mystery. Particularly the geniuses who think it is all imaginary. After watching my child have two anaphylactic reactions, I suppose the third time it happens instead of rushing to the E.R. I should tell my kid to stop the act, we are on to him now.

Parents have a responsibility to take what measures they can to protect their kids. The mother who brought her kid onto an airplane without an EpiPen was negligent. As are airlines who serve peanuts to passengers. Peanuts cause severe anaphylactic reactions with enough frequency among the population to pose a serious danger in the confined space of an airplane, far from definitive medical treatment. An EpiPen will buy you some time, that is all. After the first airline gets sued following death from a peanut allergy, I suspect the issue will be resolved.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I understand parents want to protect their kids but is it really fair to the rest of the passangers? As for lawsuits, are airlines really liable for your kid's allegies? The airlines are not the ones forcing your kids into an enclosed space, you are. And what if the airlines don't serve peanuts but some passanger decides to bring some onto the plane? Should the airlines still get sued? Should TSA start installing peanut residue scanning machines (in additional to the explosive residue scanning machines) at security check in fear of getting sued? Maybe airlines should just have peanuts and no peanuts (bubbled off) sections on each plane.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:23 pm

I hate to be the bad guy here but.....

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
No one knows (at least my child's allergist tells me that no one knows) the true reason for the increased incidence of food allergies in recent years. Glad to know there are so many self-styled medical experts here on Flyertalk to reveal the truth behind this mystery. Particularly the geniuses who think it is all imaginary. After watching my child have two anaphylactic reactions, I suppose the third time it happens instead of rushing to the E.R. I should tell my kid to stop the act, we are on to him now.

Parents have a responsibility to take what measures they can to protect their kids. The mother who brought her kid onto an airplane without an EpiPen was negligent. As are airlines who serve peanuts to passengers. Peanuts cause severe anaphylactic reactions with enough frequency among the population to pose a serious danger in the confined space of an airplane, far from definitive medical treatment. An EpiPen will buy you some time, that is all. After the first airline gets sued following death from a peanut allergy, I suspect the issue will be resolved.
If my kids were so allergic to peanuts that bringing them on a plane where somebody ate peanuts would kill them, there is no way I would bring them on a plane, period. Air travel is not necessary, it is a luxury, and unless you are flying your kids to a hospital for life-saving treatment maybe you should reconsider and just drive in your own car, where you can control everything that they are exposed to.

If your child is really THAT allergic, why would you take him anywhere that there was even a chance that he would be exposed to peanuts????

It is YOUR responsibility to protect your child, not ours....
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap

Some people are allergic to some nuts. No one has suggested that it's imaginary. What some people have suggested is that the degree of threat to life presented by presence of peanuts or any nuts on an aircraft might be overblown. I hope no one dies on a plane from a reaction to peanuts. I agree with you that the mother of the child was negligent in not bringing an epi-pen with her when she knew that her child is allergic to peanuts. But should airlines serve peanuts during the flight, airlines would not be negligent. Diabetics go into severe diabetic coma and even death. That's why diabetics are advised to carry glucose tablets with them. It's unreasonable to expect everyone else to make up for lapse on the part of those unfortunate enough to be suffering from peanut allergy.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:44 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HeHateY
(NB:I am just the messenger!)

Nut allergies -- a Yuppie invention
(snip)
But we did agree that it is strange how peanut allergies are only an issue in rich, lefty communities.

"We don't see this problem much in African American or poor communities. So there's something going on here. We don't see them in Ecuador and Guatemala," Christakis said.

A study of Jews of similar demographics and genetics in Britain and Israel found that British kids were 10 times more likely to have peanut allergies than Israelis. That's probably because Israeli kids have other things to be afraid of. I would like to see a study that measures one's increased likelihood of peanut allergies if you're an American kid named Oliver, Aidan, Spencer or Finn.

(snip)

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...3149168.column
Actually israeli kids are given teething rings made from peanuts early on - they think this has a lot to do with their lower instance of peanut allergies.

Everyone can live together - the OP's fear of peanuts is understanable, however that one persons allergies should not effect the rest of us on the plane! That is just plain selfish. Learn to live with the allergy yourself!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jfulcher
Actually israeli kids are given teething rings made from peanuts early on - they think this has a lot to do with their lower instance of peanut allergies.

Everyone can live together - the OP's fear of peanuts is understanable, however that one persons allergies should not effect the rest of us on the plane! That is just plain selfish. Learn to live with the allergy yourself!
Very interesting. In fact, as noted upthread, that's how I overcame my allergy to almonds -- by gradual and controlled exposure to allergens. We should be willing to accommodate our fellow passengers. That applies to both sides of the argument.

While searching for any cases of deaths due to peanut dust, I came across FAQs and myths amd misconceptions about anaphylaxis:

There have been severe reactions and even deaths on airlines following exposure to peanut dust or trace peanut protein residue on seats.

FALSE. There was one in-flight death in our study. It followed actual ingestion of food and did not involve either peanut or tree nut.
It seems there are miconceptions on both sides of the argument.

for those interested in correcting their misconceptions here is the link:

MYTHS AND MISCONCEPTIONS
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
I am allergic to some esential oils used to make perfumes and colognes. Reactions range from slight discomfort (sneezing, runny nose, sinus pressure, headache) to all out anaphylaxis. Do I expect any airline to pre-screen every passenger who boards a flight I'm on as to what kind of perfume, cologne or body spray they've used? Absolutely not.

With a nut allergy, even if the airline were to remove all nut products from the flight (and you should pay attention to labeling on food products as they may not contain nuts but were processed in a factory which also processes nut products) it does not preclude that another passenger will bring on a nut product as a snack in their carryon. I'm sorry but I have to agree thast an allergy is a personal problem. You can't expect any establishment from a restaurant to an airline to provide a completely allergen free environment.

My advice is to move into a bubble-house and buy a Learjet if you need to fly.

Rant over.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
I am allergic to some esential oils used to make perfumes and colognes. Reactions range from slight discomfort (sneezing, runny nose, sinus pressure, headache) to all out anaphylaxis. Do I expect any airline to pre-screen every passenger who boards a flight I'm on as to what kind of perfume, cologne or body spray they've used? Absolutely not.

With a nut allergy, even if the airline were to remove all nut products from the flight (and you should pay attention to labeling on food products as they may not contain nuts but were processed in a factory which also processes nut products) it does not preclude that another passenger will bring on a nut product as a snack in their carryon. I'm sorry but I have to agree thast an allergy is a personal problem. You can't expect any establishment from a restaurant to an airline to provide a completely allergen free environment.

My advice is to move into a bubble-house and buy a Learjet if you need to fly.

Rant over.
But make sure that the pilot isn't sneaking in peanuts with him into the cockpit.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Guessing from the statement at the bottom of that site, this study only involved flights in or out of Ontario, Canada. I wonder if there’s ever been a nationwide study.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL GM
I don't get on a flight these days without a supply of water and trail mix, which includes peanuts. You never know how long you'll be sitting on a plane.

Because flyers can bring whatever food they want on board, including peanuts, I'm not sure why the decision of the airline to serve peanuts is especially scary. The fact is, peanuts may be consumed on any flight.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:06 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hoosiermass
I don't get on a flight these days without a supply of water and trail mix, which includes peanuts. You never know how long you'll be sitting on a plane.

Because flyers can bring whatever food they want on board, including peanuts, I'm not sure why the decision of the airline to serve peanuts is especially scary. The fact is, peanuts may be consumed on any flight.
+1 I do the same. If someone told me i couldn't eat my peanuts because they were allergic I would suggest they find a different seat!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UCBeau
Very sad and ignorant read. Pathetic that it got published, but then again it's the opinion pages and every idiot out there has an opinion. (Not attacking the OP). - Then again it's Joel Stein...so yea it's expected.

BTW, this peanut allergy sufferer grew up in poor, crappy, ghetto Sunnyside Queens. Not lefty, not rich, not Yuppie.

In regards to the topic at hand, I always travel with an Epi-Pen so I do feel somewhat safe. That being said, I've been told that as I get older (26 now), the severity of my reaction to peanuts will increase (was told this the last time I was in the ER due to peanuts - November 2008) and as such, I'll need to be even more careful in the future. That being said, after seeing this, I'm hesitant to use NW. IME, UA/UAX has been very good about keeping a peanut free environment on their aircraft (despite their numerous other shortcomings) and that's in part earned my loyalty. When it comes time to switch (and that time is coming really soon), NW/DL will fall down several spaces. I realize I only spend about $50,000 or so a year on flying, but I do vote with my wallet.

-Severely peanut-allergic 1K
What happened? A group of peanuts ambushed you and shoved themselves into your mouth?

Seriously, what happened that led you to hospital?

DO you think we will miss your absence on NW flights.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:16 pm

just a few thoughts on this thread...
  • peanuts are actually legumes, not true nuts
  • a peanut allergy may coincide with a tree nut allergy, but there is no proven connection between the two (totally different plant families)
  • soy, now rampant in baby formula/infant foods, is a legume
  • some studies suggest that exposing infants to soy may in fact sensitize them to peanuts later on

As one who can't eat wheat, and the parent of a child with multiple life-threatening allergies, I've learned to control what I can and avoid the environments where the number of risk factors beyond my control is too great. From a personal point of view, I'm glad to see peanuts return, as we can't eat the pretzels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.