Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Allergy alert: Peanuts coming 2/1/09

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allergy alert: Peanuts coming 2/1/09

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Thumbs down Allergy alert: Peanuts coming 2/1/09

When the announcement came that the Delta inflight service would be the model for the combined airline, I assumed this was coming. Just saw it officially referenced at nwa.com. As the parent of a peanut allergic child, Northwest has been a 'safer' choice, given they didn't serve any peanut products on board (only tree nuts). Flight crews have always been very helpful in making announcements requesting passengers refrain from consuming peanut products during the flight, etc. We take steps to thoroughly disinfect the seating area for our son (age 4) and travel with a 90 minute supply of epinephrine in the event of a reaction.

While I know this doesn't impact many of you, it is a big deal to my wife and me. As the number of peanut allergy cases continues to increase at an alarming rate, I don't understand the need to serve them on board. Why not pretzels?? Or Spinzels?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tips for passengers with peanut allergies

Northwest recognizes that some customers are allergic to peanuts or tree nuts (almonds, cashews, etc.), and that exposure to peanuts or tree nuts can result in dire, even fatal, consequences for customers with the most severe allergies. Northwest Airlines cannot guarantee an environment free of any allergens, including peanuts, peanut dust, peanut oil, or peanut remnants.

Passengers with severe nut allergies should carefully review our policies and procedures and determine whether they are safe to fly in the cabin environment we can provide. They should also bring aboard any medications or devices that might become necessary should they incur an allergic reaction during flight.

While Northwest cannot guarantee an allergen free environment, we have adopted certain policies and procedures intended to minimize the risk for passengers with nut allergies.

Effective February 1, 2009, peanuts will be served onboard flights operated by Northwest and Delta. Products containing tree nuts may also be served on such flights. The tree nuts and other products served onboard, including meals, snack boxes and snack mixes, may be processed or packaged in factories that produce peanut or other nut products.

Passengers with nut allergies should contact NW Reservations at 1-800-225-2525 and advise the agent of their allergy before traveling. The agent will update your reservation with that information.

Peanut/Tree Nut Policy:

* Northwest and Delta cannot guarantee a peanut/nut free environment. Peanuts, products made from peanut oil, and other nuts may possibly be served onboard or brought onboard by any passenger.
* Peanut or tree nut remnants, peanut dust or peanut oil may be on the aircraft floor, seats, or tray tables from previous flights.
* Northwest and Delta will also serve tree nuts and products processed or packaged in peanut factories on its flights.

Northwest and Delta do not:

* Remove peanut or tree nut products from aircraft.
* Perform any special cleaning to remove peanut or tree nut residue.

Northwest will not make an announcement requesting passengers not to open peanut products onboard and Northwest will not prevent any passenger from bringing peanuts, products made from peanut oil, or other nuts on board. Northwest will advise In-flight Services who will implement a three (3) row buffer zone around the customers' seating area and refrain from serving peanuts in that area.

We suggest the following precautions for customers with peanut/tree nut allergies when flying on Northwest:

* Upon arriving at the airport, advise the gate agent working your flight (including connecting flights) about your peanut/tree nut allergies.
* Consider taking the aircraft's first flight of the day whenever possible, as aircraft receive a more thorough cleaning overnight than they do during the day.
* Consider the possibility of exposure, particularly when accepting any in-flight snack or meal. You are encouraged to bring your own food with you.
* Take all necessary medical precautions to prepare for exposure. Many customers carry epinephrine (Epi-pens) or other suitable anaphylaxis treatment prescribed by their physician that can be self-administered. Customers may wear face masks or use respirators (note: there are special procedures for respirators, including advance notice).
Old Jan 17, 2009, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Is it the airborne peanut dust that affects your child? What about skin contact? I would imagine that you would always bring your own snacks/food onboard to avoid that type of an issue. How about one of those paper surgical masks?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:11 pm

Even the slightest amount of dust triggers a reaction?

In general, peanut allergies were never a big deal even as recently as 10 or 20 years ago. But now it seems like every third or fourth kid I run into in my travels has nut issues. I wonder what's happened in recent years to make people so allergic?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Even the slightest amount of dust triggers a reaction?

In general, peanut allergies were never a big deal even as recently as 10 or 20 years ago. But now it seems like every third or fourth kid I run into in my travels has nut issues. I wonder what's happened in recent years to make people so allergic?
I agree completely with this sentiment!!

I promise I'm not trying to be insensitive, however I think this is a great change. I really enjoy peanuts and the trail mix snacks that NWA serves are horrible.

Just my $0.02.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
NWA does take nut allergies pretty seriously.

I was in F on a MSP-HNL (or vice versa) flight where the customary pre-meal snack (a little rounded-rectangle ceramic tray of cashews, raisins and cubes of dried tropical fruits) wasn't served in the entire front cabin of an A333, because one passenger in that cabin had a nut allergy.

(They did still give us macadamia nut ice cream for dessert, but not without first checking with the allergic party.)
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall

I wonder what's happened in recent years to make people so allergic?
Bad genes, squalid living conditions, air pollution, etc.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Bad genes, squalid living conditions, air pollution, etc.
Or, as another possibility, overprotectiveness, overuse of antimicrobial products, and too much time spend in over-sterilized indoor environments, preventing kids from developing normal tolerances for things.

Just playing devil's advocate - in reality I suspect it's some of both lists.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:54 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Nut allergies -- a Yuppie invention

(NB:I am just the messenger!)

(snip)
But we did agree that it is strange how peanut allergies are only an issue in rich, lefty communities.

"We don't see this problem much in African American or poor communities. So there's something going on here. We don't see them in Ecuador and Guatemala," Christakis said.

A study of Jews of similar demographics and genetics in Britain and Israel found that British kids were 10 times more likely to have peanut allergies than Israelis. That's probably because Israeli kids have other things to be afraid of. I would like to see a study that measures one's increased likelihood of peanut allergies if you're an American kid named Oliver, Aidan, Spencer or Finn.

(snip)

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...3149168.column
Old Jan 18, 2009, 1:52 am
Suspended

I think allergy to nuts could be due to combined effect of a number of chemical residue such as, insecticides, pesticides and chemicals used to treat fabrics to make them stain or fire resistant.

My suspicion stems from my personal experience. Until the age of 28, to the nest of my knowledge, I was not allergic to any nuts, such as peanuts, walnuts, almonds, cashews etc. One summer evening, I ate a few almonds while waiting for dinner. I had a severe allergic reaction. My ears started to itch and ring. My entire face swelled up and the throat felt irritated to the extent that I couldn't breath. For many years, I avoided almonds. Once in a while, I would take bite of an almond just to see if I was still allergic and found out that I was. About 5 years ago, I noticed that my alergic reaction started to decrease in severity. Over the course of the last few years, it has disappeared completely. I wonder of over protectiveness isn't perpetuating the sensitivity. Just my two cents, YMMV.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:40 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HeHateY
(NB:I am just the messenger!)

(snip)
But we did agree that it is strange how peanut allergies are only an issue in rich, lefty communities.

"We don't see this problem much in African American or poor communities. So there's something going on here. We don't see them in Ecuador and Guatemala," Christakis said.

A study of Jews of similar demographics and genetics in Britain and Israel found that British kids were 10 times more likely to have peanut allergies than Israelis. That's probably because Israeli kids have other things to be afraid of. I would like to see a study that measures one's increased likelihood of peanut allergies if you're an American kid named Oliver, Aidan, Spencer or Finn.

(snip)

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...3149168.column
Very sad and ignorant read. Pathetic that it got published, but then again it's the opinion pages and every idiot out there has an opinion. (Not attacking the OP). - Then again it's Joel Stein...so yea it's expected.

BTW, this peanut allergy sufferer grew up in poor, crappy, ghetto Sunnyside Queens. Not lefty, not rich, not Yuppie.

In regards to the topic at hand, I always travel with an Epi-Pen so I do feel somewhat safe. That being said, I've been told that as I get older (26 now), the severity of my reaction to peanuts will increase (was told this the last time I was in the ER due to peanuts - November 2008) and as such, I'll need to be even more careful in the future. That being said, after seeing this, I'm hesitant to use NW. IME, UA/UAX has been very good about keeping a peanut free environment on their aircraft (despite their numerous other shortcomings) and that's in part earned my loyalty. When it comes time to switch (and that time is coming really soon), NW/DL will fall down several spaces. I realize I only spend about $50,000 or so a year on flying, but I do vote with my wallet.

-Severely peanut-allergic 1K
Old Jan 18, 2009, 3:50 am

Once out of MCO, we had a child with nut allergies. This was when we still served hot meals in coach and served peanuts with the beverage.

The mother of the child informed us of the allergies and told us we were not to serve peanuts and not allow other passengers to eat any nuts that they may have brought on board. In addition, the dessert on the meal tray was a cake with crushed peanuts on top. She told us that we would have to remove the desserts from the passengers trays.

After some discussion, we found out that the woman had not informed NW about the childs allergies when booking the flight and she didn't have an epi-pen with her.

After relating this information to the Captain and to a ground supervisor, the ground supervisor asked the woman to come with him so that they could make other arrangements for their travel. She was furious. But the Captain didn't want to take a chance with the child on board under the circumstances.

I guess with the new rules, those with nut allergies are going to have to think twice about the new policy.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 4:23 am
Suspended

If allergic reaction can be controlled with epi-pen, it's the responsibility of the traveller, if an adult, or of a responsible adult travelling with the minor with allergies to bring an epi-pen with them. If they don't they should not expect other passengers to accommodate their forgetfulness. Some people are allergic to milk products and some to wheat. I realise that wikipedia ia not an authority on medicine, but here is what I found, that confirms my experience with almond allergies that allergies can be made to go away by controlled re-introduction to the offending food.

A desensitization study at Duke University was done with escalating doses of peanut protein. Eight children with known peanut allergy were given escalating doses of peanut protein in the form of a flour mixed into applesauce or other food. The treatment included three phases: one day in the medical center, with increasing doses given throughout the day; a home phase lasting three or four months that involved daily, escalating doses; and a home maintenance phase in which the daily dose was 300 milligrams, about the equivalent of one peanut. The maintenance phase lasted up to 18 months, depending on how much peanut protein the child tolerated. Seven children completed the study. These children were given a "food challenge" to peanut flour, exposing them to up to nearly 8 grams, or the equivalent of more than 13 peanuts.Most of the children tolerated the equivalent of 13 peanuts at the food challenge at the end of the study.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jan 18, 2009 at 6:29 am
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:25 am

Programs: Welfare
For what it is worth, my daughters pediatrician told us that she believes the rise in peanut as well as dairy and shellfish allergies in the US is because of the huge drop in the amount of babies who are breastfed anymore.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by NWAFA
Once out of MCO, we had a child with nut allergies. This was when we still served hot meals in coach and served peanuts with the beverage.
And what decade was this in?!

The last hot meal I had in domestic coach was... umm... 1978!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mongah
For what it is worth, my daughters pediatrician told us that she believes the rise in peanut as well as dairy and shellfish allergies in the US is because of the huge drop in the amount of babies who are breastfed anymore.
^
That breastfeeding is without a doubt the best choice not from nutritional perspective, but also for immunological benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.