Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

DL stratifies it's Elites: Source NW Elite Transition Team Member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA, UA, CO

According to an 'in the know' Elite transition team representative, Delta stratifies it's Elite membership when assigning upgrade status and other elite benefits.

There have been a variety of comments about individuals receiving upgrades on discounted fares several days out. If this is happening to you, you may well be a valued Delta customer. For those of you not recieving upgrades on 006 tickets in advance, arriving at the airport to find you are the only one on the waitlist for an upgrade and they are selling seats before giving them to you, you may be a disposable Elite member in the eyes of Delta. The elite transition team appears to be suprised at how Delta 'values' its premium customers. It's more than just miles...

A warning for those who may be confused why their upgrades are not handled in the way they were with Northwest-there is still time to change for 2010.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Not surprising. It's the kind of underhanded thing I would expect from Delta, but underhanded only to the extent that they're selling upgrades before upgrading elites. This is contrary to their publicly stated practices.

In a way it's kind of amusing because it's a bit of a "back at ya" for all the Elite-lites that they coined last year. You think you're Silver/Gold/Plat because you signed up for the Quintintuple MQM Promos and flew twice on a cheap ticket? Gotcha, sucka.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jan 10, 2009 at 3:53 am
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

In a way it's kind of amusing because it's a bit of a "back at ya" for all the Elite-lites that they coined last year. You think you're Silver/Gold/Plat because you signed up for the Quintintuple MQM Promos and flew twice on a cheap ticket? Gotcha, sucka.
It very may be that. I forgot about all those promos they ran.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:26 am

Other than elite upgrades, there's little Delta could do to stratify their elites since most other benefits are widely published as being benefits of the three elite levels only, regardless of how you obtained the status.

I'm not dismissing the importance of upgrades, but there aren't many other benefits they could conceivably mess with and "get away" with.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Silver
Depressing. There is no other word for it.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
It's quite clear (and I was told such by DL folks) that DL puts DL plats above NW plats on any DL-operated flights. Where's the seamlessness or reciprocity? NW & its elites are getting left in the dust...
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I'm not dismissing the importance of upgrades, but there aren't many other benefits they could conceivably mess with and "get away" with.
Really? How about "I'm sorry sir, I am only coming up with availability in the extortion column" versus "Yes, sir, I can book that for you in the only-greatly-overpriced column" when booking an award ticket?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Is the stratification at the class level? Meaning that all Plats are not equal, but I assume that even a "Riff-Raff Plat" trumps a high spend silver? I just cannot imagine that the DL EUA system will run past a Plat in favor of silver. Let me put this way, on Tuesday afternoon flying ATL-ROC, I on a "T" fare, I just cannot imagine that a Plat will not be upgraded at the window, but nonetheless thanks for the heads up!!!

Safe Travels.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Is the stratification at the class level? Meaning that all Plats are not equal, but I assume that even a "Riff-Raff Plat" trumps a high spend silver? I just cannot imagine that the DL EUA system will run past a Plat in favor of silver. Let me put this way, on Tuesday afternoon flying ATL-ROC, I on a "T" fare, I just cannot imagine that a Plat will not be upgraded at the window, but nonetheless thanks for the heads up!!!

Safe Travels.
That would be my question do... NW also "stratifies" their elites in the sense that according to Bob's previous posts the first tiebreaker among elites of the same level is lifetime yield. I think this is fair, but if DL is putting silvers ahead of plats... unbelievable.

Last edited by humanoid94; Jan 10, 2009 at 9:50 am
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
It's quite clear (and I was told such by DL folks) that DL puts DL plats above NW plats on any DL-operated flights. Where's the seamlessness or reciprocity? NW & its elites are getting left in the dust...
I don't have a problem with this right now; I assume the same is true on a NW-operated flight...a NW plat would trump a DL plat. Same as it has been with CO.

Now I'm ready for my first DL-operated flight in a few weeks; a T-fare...should be interesting to see if I'm "disposable."
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Other than elite upgrades, there's little Delta could do to stratify their elites since most other benefits are widely published as being benefits of the three elite levels only, regardless of how you obtained the status.

Delta is like a cousin who's always telling little white lies. What Delta says and what Delta does are not necessarily the same.

They usually get caught when they lie to FT (e.g. JeffBob & the availability of SkyPass/PerkPass/RuleBuster awards), but they seem to have little shame.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jan 10, 2009 at 12:40 pm
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Hummm. Just went MKE>ATL>TPA yesterday and was upgraded 5 days out on a cheap $188 fare. Was on the CRJ-900 and 767. DL Plat buddy was in the back! All is good!

Is it me or does the 767-300 first class seat seem "narrow?"
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Is it me or does the 767-300 first class seat seem "narrow?"
763:18.5" width
DC9: 19.5" width
319/320: 21.0" width

Even the 9's have a bit wider seat than the 763. Unlike CO, which has a 2-1-2 config on the 767, DL and I think every other US carrier has a 2-2-2 config (only one less seat across than in Y).
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
As long as they treat NW/DL elites the same eventually. I'd be real ticked off if they favor DL elites long-term over NW elites, especially when NW elites earned status the real way.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
In folklore studies, we call those like the experts quoted here as FOAFS. Friends of Friends. There is no indication that a 3rd party as described here exists, so why assume it does?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.