Some Historical Perspective...

Old Jan 9, 09, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Some Historical Perspective...

The other day I happened to come across a Worldperks statement from the early 90s. I was "Worldperks Gold" at the time -- I'm sure there was probably a higher level, but it wasn't advertised -- I never talked to anybody who was higher and I never got any promo's to "fly more to be XXX"

Anyway, Gold required 50K BIS miles (later raised to 60K) and you received a 25% RDM mile bonus. An "Executive Class" ticket to Europe (the old Barcalounger DC-10's and 747) was 60K miles with great availability, except for blackout dates. Coach Domestic RT was 20K and Coach to Europe was 40K. Oh, and minimum segment was 750 miles.

So Europe was the price of 2 domestic RT and the premium cabin was 3X (but an inferior product than today). Flying my minimum to requal basically got me one premium RT to Europe

Today the 2-1 Europe to Domestic Coach RT ratio still holds. Premium cabin is up to 4-1 but for a better product.

Redemption to miles earned is a little trickier, with 2 (now 3) levels of awards. On the old (2 level) regime my 75K to requal as PE would get me nearly 1.7 perksaver premium tickets to Europe and not quite one perkpass. That is probably about a wash, because I never had to pay perkpass for both legs of a WBC award and rarely did so for coach (outside of Xmas and Thanksgiving)

So up until this year I'd say there really wasn't a whole lot of devaluation of miles but rather inflation all around.

The new 3 level scheme does changes things and represents, IMO, a devaluation.

Not sure where I'm going with this, just an F/Y/I, I guess.
Old Jan 10, 09, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Angry Similar/worse devaluation on Delta

Prior to the change from the original Delta Frequent Flyer program to Skymiles (on May 1, 1997, I believe), the program was structured in such a way that you could earn a minimum of 2500 miles per segment. A first class domestic ticket was 25,000 miles and coach domestic was 20,000 miles. So essentially, it was 8 segments for a coach ticket (just like WN), and 10 for a FC ticket.

Now, I just booked 3 domestic coach tickets, @ 52,500 miles each, and I was lucky to find the seats... At an average of, say, 1200 miles earned per revenue segment today, that's 43 flight segments for a domestic coach ticket, if you can find it.

43 segments/8 segments = over 5 times as much flying required for a single coach seat. Even if one can somehow find a seat that you can actually book for 25,000 miles, that's over 20 segments for one free domestic ticket.

Ah, memories...
Old Jan 10, 09, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Couple things left out from the analysis:

- The number of fees and size of fees have both increased

- Many types of bonuses (Connect First, online booking ,etc.) have disappeared
Old Jan 10, 09, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles View Post
Couple things left out from the analysis:

- The number of fees and size of fees have both increased

- Many types of bonuses (Connect First, online booking ,etc.) have disappeared
Well, we didn't have online booking back then (now I sound like my Grandpa when I was a kid )

Promotions come and go so you can't really compare those. I was just trying to say that with all the talk of devaluation that up until the latest change the devaluation wasn't all that great.

Search this Thread