Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

"Award" Fees Slogan and Design Contest for Protest Gear

"Award" Fees Slogan and Design Contest for Protest Gear

Old Jan 8, 09, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Lightbulb "Award" Fees Slogan and Design Contest for Protest Gear

The jaw-dropping kick in the pants recently announced additions of extravagant fees on so-called "award" tickets (now soon to be extending even to Platinum elites retroactively to award tickets already purchased) has set me off like nothing before.

Don't know about you, but some enterprising person is going to make some real dollars off of me in this recession if they set up a business to sell shirts, buttons, and caps with a good protest slogan and design.

So let's help them out by getting off the ground with some good suggestions for slogans and logos to go on the protest gear. I'll be wearing it on NW/DL flights all year long myself if someone comes up with a quality product here. (and be sure to add some old NW logo stuff prominently displayed as well.)
Old Jan 8, 09, 7:36 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I would love a shirt that says something like "NW/DL puts the screws to its eilte flyers" then on the back can list all the "enhancements" including

redeposit award fees for platinums
last-minute award ticketing fees for platinums

and all the other recent 'alignments.'

John
Old Jan 8, 09, 7:43 am

Put "Free the Spinzels" on it too...
Old Jan 8, 09, 8:07 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Play off the slogans.

e.g.,

"Change Is: $150. Even for Platinums!"

"Change Is: Minting more elites than any other airline"

"Change Is: Possible. Status match to UA/CO/AA for 2009!"

And put "Delta Airways -- Winning the Race to the Bottom" underneath.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Jan 8, 09, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, AA, BA, National Emerald
Design a two page promo brochure-

Front page title = Fly with the "new" Delta -and join the "new" FF program (Fees that make you Flee"

at bottom of first page put - turn page to read all about the "Fees that Make You Flee" program and list them all on the second page!
Old Jan 8, 09, 10:10 am

Delta: They Work Harder*
*Harder to keep you from using your miles!

Delta: Giving Frequent Flyer Programs a Bad Name since 2004

Delta: Bogus Fee Champion of the World 2008-2009

Delta: More Captive Hubs than Any Other Airline
Suck It Customers

Delta: One Great Airline, Dozens of Bogus Fees

Delta: Have some more SkyMiles
It's not like we'll let you use them anyway
Old Jan 8, 09, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Save WorldPerks?
Old Jan 8, 09, 11:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Worldjerks
Old Jan 8, 09, 11:26 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by gatechange View Post
Design a two page promo brochure-

Front page title = Fly with the "new" Delta -and join the "new" FF program (Fees that make you Flee"

at bottom of first page put - turn page to read all about the "Fees that Make You Flee" program and list them all on the second page!
The brochure will need to be 5 pages long.... there are too many fees to list only on one page
Old Jan 8, 09, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Is this worth the effort? It took SaveSkyMiles years to achieve major results. By the end of 2004 when the sLUT-fare limitations were finally reversed, most of the key players had moved on other airlines & other FF programs.

JeffBob has been intently not listening to Delta's elites for 5 years now. Now that he has a second family of elites to ignore, he seems to be redoubling his efforts. NW now belongs to DL; nothing is going to change that. Unless you can somehow address the root problems in Delta's corporate culture, it's over.

Leo Mullin, Rob Borden, JeffBob Robertson -- although it's easy to villify the individuals, these were/are executives who don't operate in a vacuum. Their legacies were/are every bit as much a product of the corporate cultures in which they have worked as much as they have influenced that corporate culture. Executive summary: There something in the water at DL HQ.
Old Jan 8, 09, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Bitter? I think not...

Originally Posted by GrizShel View Post

Don't know about you, but some enterprising person is going to make some real dollars off of me in this recession if they set up a business to sell shirts, buttons, and caps with a good protest slogan and design.
It's more fun to get even.

During the Save Skymiles days back in '03, our logo was a rat. We raised over $10,000 in contributions from FT members, wore our rat buttons on flights, drew funny pictures and slogans on the monthly CEO page of Sky Magazine, received significant press coverage (USA Today, the Atlanta JC, Cincinnati Enquirer, among others), came up with some great songs, slogans and acronyms, sent emails to each Delta board member and purchased the famous rolling billboard used as part of our protest at DL's annual meeting.

The effort was led by bdschobel (defected to United), mikey1003 (to NW -- how ironic), Cholula, ozstamps, Rssrsvp and supported by MANY on the DL board. Bruce Schobel collected the contributions and mailed out the rat buttons.

Just do a search on the DL forum for "Save Skymiles" and you will see LOTS of fine ideas. Best of all, our efforts succeeded, at least for a while: CEO Leo Mullin was gone by the end of the year (but not without his $16M buyout) along with several of his direct reports, and many of the most onerous "enhancements" to Skymiles were indeed retracted.

It could work again, people....

D -- driving
E -- every
L -- loyal
T -- traveller
A -- away

"I ruined Delta, and all I got was this lousy $16 million parachute"
-- Leo
Old Jan 8, 09, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by OldRoyal View Post
-- Leo
However, DL's obligation to provide him (and Michelle Burns) with lifetime free travel in F was discharged in the bankruptcy.

Michelle, I believe, actually had the gall to protest that discharge.
Old Jan 8, 09, 1:07 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Originally Posted by motytrah View Post
Delta: They Work Harder*
*Harder to keep you from using your miles!

Delta: Giving Frequent Flyer Programs a Bad Name since 2004

Delta: Bogus Fee Champion of the World 2008-2009

Delta: More Captive Hubs than Any Other Airline
Suck It Customers

Delta: One Great Airline, Dozens of Bogus Fees

Delta: Have some more SkyMiles
It's not like we'll let you use them anyway

I would buy a t-shirt with any of these! I prefer the 4th and 6th though.
Old Jan 8, 09, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
However, DL's obligation to provide him (and Michelle Burns) with lifetime free travel in F was discharged in the bankruptcy.

Michelle, I believe, actually had the gall to protest that discharge.
Correct, she did:

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha......_or_gr.html

David
Old Jan 9, 09, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by OldRoyal View Post
The effort was led by bdschobel (defected to United), mikey1003 (to NW -- how ironic), Cholula, ozstamps, Rssrsvp and supported by MANY on the DL board. Bruce Schobel collected the contributions and mailed out the rat buttons.

Just do a search on the DL forum for "Save Skymiles" and you will see LOTS of fine ideas. Best of all, our efforts succeeded, at least for a while: CEO Leo Mullin was gone by the end of the year (but not without his $16M buyout) along with several of his direct reports, and many of the most onerous "enhancements" to Skymiles were indeed retracted.

It could work again, people....

D -- driving
E -- every
L -- loyal
T -- traveller
A -- away

-- Leo
That's fantastic, I'll definitely have to look this up. I would like to try to launch a similar campaign - I'll feel better having made the effort in any case.

Search this Thread