Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Delta ruin NWA World Clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
On a positive note, I was told by a lounge rep that the T-Mobile card system in SLC will terminate in a few weeks and everyone in the club will be able to access the internet. ^
I was just told that by the rep at the ATL A-CRC...2 thumbs up for this ^^
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This is awesome news! Is this legal in any of the hubs? Does anyone know what airports would allow this? Obviously all former WC locations that had self-serve! But, for some reason, the IAD club switched to bartenders months ago??!
VA has extremely strick laws which I'm sure is why the switch was made....most states would allow a self service system for a membership club
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
One note on the self-serve bars... you only have to be 18 for a CRC membership, but have to be 21 for a WC membership, and I'm pretty sure the self-serve alcohol is the difference.

Not that I imagine there are many 18-20-year-old lounge members.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by socrates
I was just told that by the rep at the ATL A-CRC...2 thumbs up for this ^^
Long overdue at DL. ^^
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
The title of the thread goes a bit too far. The Delta and NW clubs were already the most similar in terms of how they were run; we are dancing on the head of a pin here. In their new construction, both airlines are going for a sleek, modern style--Delta a bit warmer, NW a bit cooler with colors.

I think NW has a quality edge partly because they got their two main hubs completely redone prior to going bankrupt. The clubs at Delta's main hubs had been thoroughly lived in when they went Chapter 11. In Atlanta, if you go to the new Crown Room on Concourse C (T-Gates are also nicer), you can get a better apples-to-apples picture with the very nice NW clubs in Detroit. Or check out Boston.

The two club rooms side-by-side in Newark are a good standard for comparison. They are very close in comfort and quality; NW's is less crowded.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Justin026
The title of the thread goes a bit too far. The Delta and NW clubs were already the most similar in terms of how they were run; we are dancing on the head of a pin here. In their new construction, both airlines are going for a sleek, modern style--Delta a bit warmer, NW a bit cooler with colors.

I think NW has a quality edge partly because they got their two main hubs completely redone prior to going bankrupt. The clubs at Delta's main hubs had been thoroughly lived in when they went Chapter 11. In Atlanta, if you go to the new Crown Room on Concourse C (T-Gates are also nicer), you can get a better apples-to-apples picture with the very nice NW clubs in Detroit. Or check out Boston.

The two club rooms side-by-side in Newark are a good standard for comparison. They are very close in comfort and quality; NW's is less crowded.
The NW club at EWR is usually more crowded than the DL club when I am there.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Regardless of how "old" or "modern" any individual airline club is, WC beats CRC hands-down on system-wide policy.

WC's serve wider food selections than CRCs do, and WCs serve those selections ALL DAY, while CRCs only serve food above and beyond pretzels and biscoff at certain hours.

WC's have self-service beverages where legal.

WC's have open WiFi.

WC's had lower membership pricing.

CRC's do not offer anything that WC's do not offer.

There is no place for the WC's to go but down.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by raehl311
Regardless of how "old" or "modern" any individual airline club is, WC beats CRC hands-down on system-wide policy.

WC's serve wider food selections than CRCs do, and WCs serve those selections ALL DAY, while CRCs only serve food above and beyond pretzels and biscoff at certain hours.

WC's have self-service beverages where legal.

WC's have open WiFi.

WC's had lower membership pricing.

CRC's do not offer anything that WC's do not offer.

There is no place for the WC's to go but down.
Totally agree. There are older and newer clubs in both systems but at the end of the day the policies are where NW is well in front of DL. NW WC's are destined to be devalued just by the policy changes regardless of the physical appearance of the club itself.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:19 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The NW club at EWR is usually more crowded than the DL club when I am there.
Why do so many of you go to both lounges when in EWR? I am curious. Wouldn't be worth my time to bounce between them. I guess if you get to the airport really early with lots of time to spare...
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by Justin026

Not exactly - NW never updated the MSP F/G club to current tier.

That point aside though I think that NW has a generally better club situation. DL may be about to remove the T-mobile shackles but that's the most obvious thorn out of the gate. After that the primary differentiators I see are:
1. DL clubs tend to be a LOT more crowded - I've never been in NW club where you couldn't find a seat, its happened at least four times I can think of in both ATL and SAN in the last year to me. From what I gather the CRC got out of control when they gave it away to Plats and they've never quite re-balanced.
2. DL's snack selection - typically pretzels and those odd sugar bombs - just doesn't measure up to the typical NW spread of cookies, pretzels, carrots, etc. You can make a quick meal with some actual protein at a NW club - not happening at DL CRC.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fti
Why do so many of you go to both lounges when in EWR? I am curious. Wouldn't be worth my time to bounce between them. I guess if you get to the airport really early with lots of time to spare...
The lounges are across each other at EWR and the WC has free internet while the CRC doesn't. But for my DL ticketing needs and a somewhat quieter place to get things done, the CRC got used on the same trips too.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fti
Because it's fun to go clubbing! I like the CRC for the great view of the Manhattan skyline and the enhanced liquor selection. The WC is tops for effortless wireless, better snacks, and flight announcements when flying NW.

Really enjoyed HNL once upon a time when there were three clubs to hop to in a small area. Hoping DL will revitalize the WC or better yet move to the old CRC digs off the courtyard area. ^
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The DL Crown Room didn't give me a hassle with an NW boarding pass + AMEX Platinum just now.

Nice showers, decent self-serve booze (Remy Martin and so on), decent continental breakfast, pretty good lounge. WiFi is pay, though (TMobile). Hopefully they will fix that.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The DL Crown Room didn't give me a hassle with an NW boarding pass + AMEX Platinum just now.

Nice showers, decent self-serve booze (Remy Martin and so on), decent continental breakfast, pretty good lounge. WiFi is pay, though (TMobile). Hopefully they will fix that.
Which DL CRC offers self-serve alcohol? Are you sure you werent visiting a former NW lounge? Would be good news IMO if self-serve.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The lounges are across each other at EWR and the WC has free internet while the CRC doesn't. But for my DL ticketing needs and a somewhat quieter place to get things done, the CRC got used on the same trips too.
Well at least now there are some reports that some DL CRC -- or "SkyClub" -- is going to be switching to free internet for all visitors to the lounge. ^^

As as part of this transition into "SkyClubs", hopefully this will be standard across all (or at least most all) of the CRCs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.