FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   NWA Plat Guarantee in '09? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/906415-nwa-plat-guarantee-09-a.html)

sbagdon Jan 5, 2009 1:13 pm

NWA Plat Guarantee in '09?

Questions regarding Plat Guarantee in '09 (1000 RDMs per segment, for Plats sitting in Y, on 2-class planes).

Anyone know if the Plat Guarantee is still active in '09?

Has anyone had this post in '09 yet?

Does this apply to Airlink 2-class CRJs?

Need this critical info, as I need this info for some bookings over the next few days. Specifically if for 2-class CRJs, so I can book towards mainline if not.

[edit] found this:

http://www.nwa.com/features/platinum/

2. Only valid on flights operated by Northwest Airlines, Compass Airlines and Mesaba Airlines with a First Class cabin.

6. Promotion ends February 28, 2009.

I'll need to book flights this afternoon for Tue/Wed, really hoping someone has confirmed this in '09 for Compass, including posting to their account. The Plat Guarantee is the go/no-go X-factor on these trips.

[edit] MR booked for Fri, all mainline, all two-class, going to request specific assignment in Y, will post Sun after the segments post.

[edit] MR fist segment posted, and included a NW mainline segment in Y, with a posted Plat Gaurantee.

Thanks!!!

MikeMpls Jan 5, 2009 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 11015827)
Questions regarding Plat Guarantee in '09 (1000 RDMs per segment, for Plats sitting in Y, on 2-class planes).

Need this critical info, as I need this info for some bookings over the next few days. Specifically if for 2-class CRJs, so I can book towards mainline if not.

Thanks!!!

In the past it's applied to any 2-class aircraft, mainline or airlink. Don't know about 2009, however.

Crazyhotelguy Jan 5, 2009 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 11015827)

[edit] found this:

http://www.nwa.com/features/platinum/

2. Only valid on flights operated by Northwest Airlines, Compass Airlines and Mesaba Airlines with a First Class cabin.

6. Promotion ends February 28, 2009.

I'll need to book flights this afternoon for Tue/Wed, really hoping someone has confirmed this in '09 for Compass, including posting to their account. The Plat Guarantee is the go/no-go X-factor on these trips.

Thanks!!!

The one FC upgrade that I missed in 08 was on a CRJ with 2 cabins. I got the the bonus, but again, have not heard or seen anything about this in 09...

troyintn Jan 6, 2009 7:45 pm

The Zipper mentioned from scoop that the new rules will be out in two weeks or less. I see this and the Plat companion as goners, but who knows.

MikeMpls Jan 6, 2009 8:01 pm

I wouldn't be surprised about the first one. Our Plat companion upgrade might survive until it's replaced by DL's rather-lame-by-comparison counterpart.

GUWonder Jan 7, 2009 12:11 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 11015867)
In the past it's applied to any 2-class aircraft, mainline or airlink. Don't know about 2009, however.

This is DL management in charge now, so watch more benefits -- such as this one but others too :eek: -- be stripped away.

At DL, the management sees the customers as either the enemy or sheeple to be fleeced, so I would not be surprised if DL management looks at Platinums as sheep with too much wool and that must be fleeced a lot more too.

tomh009 Jan 7, 2009 3:55 am

I think the OP was looking for facts (such as an actual 2009 flight experience) rather than opinions on whether the DL management is out to screw the WP elites ... :rolleyes:

spkg Jan 7, 2009 5:16 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 11025025)
I wouldn't be surprised about the first one. Our Plat companion upgrade might survive until it's replaced by DL's rather-lame-by-comparison counterpart.

Even if the programs merge mid-year, i don't think they would change benefits mid-year. If they're still there for march, then i think they should be good till next Feb

GUWonder Jan 7, 2009 5:19 am

Originally Posted by spkg (Post 11026762)
Even if the programs merge mid-year, i don't think they would change benefits mid-year. If they're still there for march, then i think they should be good till next Feb

With DL in charge, the rules have often been changed -- and continue to be changed -- at various times of the year, mid-year included. How much notice (if any) is given about a change depends entirely on the inconsistent whims of DL management.

sbagdon Jan 11, 2009 5:14 am

First segment from Fri's MR posted, and it included the Plat Guarantee:

Platinum Elite Upgrade Guarantee Bonus 1,000

So for at least NW mainline, as of today, and presumably until 2/28, this benefit still exists in '09

GUWonder Jan 11, 2009 5:29 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 11052898)
First segment from Fri's MR posted, and it included the Plat Guarantee:

Platinum Elite Upgrade Guarantee Bonus 1,000

So for at least NW mainline, as of today, and presumably until 2/28, this benefit still exists in '09

Delta sometimes gives no-upgrade bonus miles -- it is just 500 miles.

spartanflyer Jan 12, 2009 9:10 am

Platinum Non-Upgrade Kicker

Is the 1000 mile bonus still applicable for not getting the upgrade as it has been in the past for Platinum flyers on NW? What about on DL metal?:confused:
As far as the upgrades on DL go, I have been told by the gate agent that we (WP Plat)are in the middle of the food chain.
Not too fond of DL so far.
Will be shopping programs in the next year to see if a better score can be had. DL lost me. NW is trying to keep me. I fear DL will win.

RobOnLI Jan 12, 2009 9:29 am

Originally Posted by spartanflyer (Post 11059706)
Is the 1000 mile bonus still applicable for not getting the upgrade as it has been in the past for Platinum flyers on NW? What about on DL metal?:confused:
As far as the upgrades on DL go, I have been told by the gate agent that we (WP Plat)are in the middle of the food chain.
Not too fond of DL so far.
Will be shopping programs in the next year to see if a better score can be had. DL lost me. NW is trying to keep me. I fear DL will win.

It applies to NW flights only and is valid through February 28 at this point. When the new 2009 elite program is announced in February is when we'll know whether the Plat Upgrade Guarantee is still here. Most people on this board believe it will be axed. I tend to agree with them.

-RM

sbagdon Jan 12, 2009 9:31 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...ntee-09-a.html

I believe it has to be a 012 ticket, and NW flight number, and NW metal, for the Plat Guarantee to apply.

GUWonder Jan 12, 2009 10:03 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 11059862)
It applies to NW flights only and is valid through February 28 at this point. When the new 2009 elite program is announced in February is when we'll know whether the Plat Upgrade Guarantee is still here. Most people on this board believe it will be axed. I tend to agree with them.

-RM

I have my doubts that this 1000 mile bonus will remain.

With fewer elites flying, fewer paid first class fares, and more miles and money required for an award ticket than ever before by any major US airline program, DL doesn't have much to gain/save by tearing up this benefit too -- not that this would stop DL management from chopping here too.

DL has granted a 500 mile bonus for Platinums who don't get upgraded "domestically".