NRT-BKK,HKG,& ICN: Aircrafts changed

Old Jan 4, 09, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Platinum
NRT-BKK,HKG,& ICN: Aircrafts changed

The schedule from aprox 1st week of Feb to 1st week of Apr, BKK will be 757, HKG will be 333 and ICN will be 757.

Hopefully, it's just a temporary. I don't like to fly 757 to BKK.
Old Jan 4, 09, 10:33 am

Holy... What are they doing with the 330's? Painting them? So over the last couple of years BKK has gone from a 744 to a 330 and now a 757, no wonder it is nearly impossible to get an award ticket there.
Old Jan 4, 09, 11:28 am
azj

The 330s for t-atl have to come from somewhere. 757 to BKK is the biggest surprise and the most ridiculous IMO.
Old Jan 4, 09, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; AClub, PC Plat; HH, MR Gold
Stupid stupid stupid. Looks like NW (DL) is leaving Asia behind. This sucks big time.

Time to fly Korean Air to Asia -- they have much, much better service anyway and can still credit NW miles.
Old Jan 4, 09, 11:58 am
azj

I wouldn't go so far as to assume they're leaving Asia behind. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg for capacity rationalization. I'm sure the 757 downgage/downgrade to BKK is a yield and revenue thing. Perhaps in addition to moving some 330s to the Atlantic, the fleet rationalization in Asia is driven by forward bookings, yields, revenue and other reasons not so obvious to us.

ICN can probably be better served by codesharing with KE or overflying the NRT hub. I predict more overflights will be on the horizon and smaller gage will be deployed on many interport routes to better match capacity to demand. That demand will be reduced if more people are on NRT overflights.

BKK to a 757 is shocking, but the 757 and 330 to ICN and HKG not so much. I think we all have to get out of the 747s to everywhere in Asia mentality that we've had for so long.
Old Jan 4, 09, 11:59 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
if this isn't just a temporary thing then DL management are MORONS!
Old Jan 4, 09, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TJPACIFIC View Post
The schedule from aprox 1st week of Feb to 1st week of Apr, BKK will be 757, HKG will be 333 and ICN will be 757.

Hopefully, it's just a temporary. I don't like to fly 757 to BKK.
Currently NRT-ICN is the A330 from SEA-NRT. Assuming SEA-NRT doesn't change, what happens to the A330 when it gets to NRT? If that one goes onto HKG now, where's the 744 from LAX going? Is LAX-NRT being downgauged on Feb 1 as well?

-RM
Old Jan 4, 09, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; AClub, PC Plat; HH, MR Gold
Originally Posted by azj View Post
I'm sure the 757 downgage/downgrade to BKK is a yield and revenue thing.
Sure hope so.

Originally Posted by thezipper View Post
if this isn't just a temporary thing then DL management are MORONS!
+1 Let's hope this is just temporary and is mostly due to weak bookings in the spring.
Old Jan 4, 09, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
you think those are bad, NRT-CAN has gone from 757 to nothing, i go on that flight 6 times a year, and NW is getting rid of it in March. I'll have to fly to HKG and then take a two hour ferry ride to CAN. at least now i get to ride in the 330s. I'm sure things will pick up again after the recession, but what's wired is my upcoming flight CAN-NRT on Jan 12 was completely sold out in Y about 25 days out.

Its also kind of odd that NW gets to fly from Japan to other countries, i thought there would be some sort of law/fee protecting Local airlines? you don't see any other airlines from between forigen countries very often.
Old Jan 4, 09, 12:22 pm
azj

If I had to guess, without analyzing the new schedules the 332 that was going to ICN will just simply not be in NRT and be flown elsewhere. It sounds like the 332s to Asia will only be from SEA and SFO with PDX becoming a 767-300ER.

With respect to the 744s perhaps there will be a few in for cabin refurbs and paint. No word on what LAX-NRT was going to be, so I assume it will continue as a 744.

I would predict more 767ERs in the interport system once the fleet is merged further and crewing is rationalized. Indeed, hopefully the 757 to BKK is temporary.
Old Jan 4, 09, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Any of NW's Intra Asian flights is one lonely frequency per day, which arrive and leave their particular destination at the most inconvenient times of the day. There are fifty or more daily flights to those destinations served by a myriad of carriers from NRT at better times, better frequencies, lower price and better service. The new masters probably feel more comfortable to think of NRT plainly as a hub where the incoming US pax from the 7 US gateways are redistibuted to their final destinations. DL never made any efforts to market their ATL-NRT-ATL service here in Japan. It fills from the US. Their PVG service, as I understand it, has already been reduced substantially. Forget any marketing from DL in Asia. There is no marketing from DL in Europe either. The whole International traffic on DL is based on the premise that US based flyers are captive to DL's route system. And if it is true that DL has expressed the opinion that they are not interested in low revenue pax ( speak tour groups ) here, then their currently planned and probably plong lasting down- or as they may call right-sizing is the proof.
Old Jan 4, 09, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I believe (and hope) this is only a temporary set back. Looks like BKK goes back to a 330 on 4/6/09.
Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come, however!
Old Jan 4, 09, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by bostonbali View Post
I believe (and hope) this is only a temporary set back. Looks like BKK goes back to a 330 on 4/6/09.
Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come, however!
I'm flying ICN-NRT, and although it's a 2.5 hour flight--probably less time from wheels up to wheels down--I wonder whether the WBC service will be the same as aboard any other metal (i.e., A330). Doesn't this also mean less opportunity for UGs via miles (or with WBC award travel)? Ughhh...talk about devaluation of miles now exacerbated by the change in metal!
Old Jan 4, 09, 8:20 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Not sure what the "news" is. I booked DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-LAX-DTW several months ago for a mid Feb departure.
DTW-NRT: 747-400
NRT-SIN: 330
NRT-LAX: 747
Old Jan 4, 09, 8:47 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Currently NRT-ICN is the A330 from SEA-NRT. Assuming SEA-NRT doesn't change, what happens to the A330 when it gets to NRT? If that one goes onto HKG now, where's the 744 from LAX going? Is LAX-NRT being downgauged on Feb 1 as well?

-RM
Don't know for sure, but NW1 LAX-NRT continues on to MNL, both on 747s. NW2 is MNL-NRT-LAX. But they could use a different 747 on each of the segments. MNL has two flights per day, one from NRT and the other NGO.

NRT-SIN has been a 330 for a while now. Very nice flight on that plane.

Search this Thread