New award levels for premium travel?

Old Jan 3, 09, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
New award levels for premium travel?

The new coach award chart, at least ex-North America, has been released but I can't find the new award levels for F and WBC, as well as upgrade awards. Have they been published anywhere? (Yes, I did a search on FT and nwa.com).
Old Jan 3, 09, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
The new coach award chart, at least ex-North America, has been released but I can't find the new award levels for F and WBC, as well as upgrade awards. Have they been published anywhere? (Yes, I did a search on FT and nwa.com).
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ards/index.jsp

And the following is the only chart DL management really has cared to get out into the public as relates to SkyTeam award ticket redemption:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...eage/index.jsp

Welcome to DL management's fleecing of NW customers too.
Old Jan 3, 09, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ards/index.jsp

And the following is the only chart DL management really has cared to get out into the public as relates to SkyTeam award ticket redemption:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...eage/index.jsp

Welcome to DL management's fleecing of NW customers too.
I believe these are the current award charts. I was looking for a full new award chart, including F and WBC, to go with the new coach chart they published.
Old Jan 3, 09, 11:50 pm

I believe these are the current award charts. I was looking for a full new award chart, including F and WBC, to go with the new coach chart they published.
The two links I posted above are the new price levels -- scheduled to go into effect on January 15th if DL management continues to get its way -- for NW awards ... upgrades and award tickets. F and WBC are listed as "Premium" in the links I supplied above.

This is what DL has cared to distribute publicly and these are the prices DL is requiring NW to implement effective January 15th for mileage tickets using NW miles.

Do note that DL -- in an effort to confuse consumers -- only quotes the mileage prices in one-way terms instead of the traditional round-trip terms, even as DL charges roundtrip mileage pricing at a minimum.
Old Jan 4, 09, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of those award charts are pretty horrid. 90k to Northern South America in FC? That's a 50% increase from current levels. Up to 370k for a RT biz flight to Asia. That smells to high heaven.
Old Jan 4, 09, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Some of those award charts are pretty horrid. 90k to Northern South America in FC? That's a 50% increase from current levels. Up to 370k for a RT biz flight to Asia. That smells to high heaven.
Yes it does.
Old Jan 4, 09, 9:11 am

So... I guess we get to approve this new structure with our wallets then ?

I guess I could use this year to quickly drain my mileage account and shop elsewhere for intra Asia travel
Old Jan 4, 09, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
For Asia, the new PerkPass levels will be 230K and 370K for J, changed from 240K. The key question is what the mid-level (230K) availability will be.

The PerkSaver J award to Asia is unchanged at 120K.
Old Jan 4, 09, 9:51 am

Programs: NW Plat, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
I wouldn't say it's entirely bad news, however. The miles needed for upgrades on Delta are in some cases lower. For example, a select coach fare upgrade traveling from the US to Europe is 30k miles on NW, but on DL, its 25k. For the same upgrade between the Continental US and Hawaii, on NW it's 17.5k, but just 15k on DL. Of course, availability is a whole other ballgame.
Old Jan 4, 09, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by tomh009 View Post
For Asia, the new PerkPass levels will be 230K and 370K for J, changed from 240K. The key question is what the mid-level (230K) availability will be.

230k is not the new PerkPass level -- 370k for J is the new PerkPass equivalent level. The 230k J award to Asia is the equivalent of something between PerkSaver and PerkPass.
Old Jan 4, 09, 11:41 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by LAXFlyer00 View Post
I wouldn't say it's entirely bad news, however. The miles needed for upgrades on Delta are in some cases lower. For example, a select coach fare upgrade traveling from the US to Europe is 30k miles on NW, but on DL, its 25k. For the same upgrade between the Continental US and Hawaii, on NW it's 17.5k, but just 15k on DL. Of course, availability is a whole other ballgame.
One issue is the difference in out-of-pocket between the cheapest fare you can fly, and the cheapest fare you can upgrade. The price difference beween NW V and B is sometimes amazing. For the price difference, you might as well fly V, or redeem for D.

And you did bring up the point of availability.
Old Jan 4, 09, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomh009 View Post

A RTW award with 6 stopovers costs 220k in Biz. Charging more than 50% more than that for the Third Rail, er, Tier seems criminal.

Not very long ago, US-Asia in Biz was 90k. US-Southern South America was 50k.
Old Jan 4, 09, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

So according to the charts on delta.com, domestic F PerkSaver will go down from 50K to 45K? The only other PerkSaver change I see is the big increase in F/WBC to South America.

Changes in PerkPass levels are another story, of course, but it's an apples to oranges comparison until we see what "Medium" and "High" availability is. I'm not optimistic, though.
Old Jan 4, 09, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
So according to the charts on delta.com, domestic F PerkSaver will go down from 50K to 45K? The only other PerkSaver change I see is the big increase in F/WBC to South America.

Changes in PerkPass levels are another story, of course, but it's an apples to oranges comparison until we see what "Medium" and "High" availability is. I'm not optimistic, though.
That is the big question. I know it will be better for me to get to most of FLA, which was always an issue for me, but other then that I am not looking forward to it.
Old Jan 4, 09, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

Keep in mind that DL does not publish award charts for non-US departures, and thusly, you don't notice the truly atrocious devaluations. The worst I've encountered thus far is Hawaii-Asia for 140k/70k in "Saver." Of course, because DL award pricing is done by "the system" (which is immune to human reasoning) you can never be quite certain of the actual mileage price DL charges for a ticket.

Search this Thread