Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Missed Platinum -- worth begging/appealing/asking nicely?

Old Jan 2, 09, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Plat, AMEX Plat

I closed 2008 with 68,306 EQM and will miss Platinum for first time in about six years. Have consistently been a strong supporter of NWA (Total Mileage Since Enrollment = 1,914,173) but based on some changes in travel needs for business this year, just didn't "make" it.

Anyone have any experiences with a similar situation? Is it even worth crafting a nice letter to NWA execs asking for status 'match' from previous years?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron
Old Jan 2, 09, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, MR Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
Oh, it is definitely worth all those things.

Getting it, is another matter.
Old Jan 2, 09, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Never hurts to ask, but at ~7000 EQM short, I can't say I like your odds, unless you're flying a LOT of full fare Y tickets.
Old Jan 2, 09, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I posted another thread similar to this a week or two back because my partner (new flyer to NW, new WP enrollment) earned very close to the qualification level. When all was said and done, it tallies up as 24,947 EQM's in just 8 weeks of flying, almost all of it on paid full fare First Class.

NW has so far said 'get lost' to polite requests to consider an exception, even though the final flight of the year that was booked was cancelled due to weather otherwise it would have been well over qualification.

Granted this was lowly SE, not Platinum, but as a new to NW flyer in paid F doing it all in 8 weeks, I was very surprised that for 53 measly EQMs they would be so stingy.
Old Jan 2, 09, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by seattle_cameron View Post
I closed 2008 with 68,306 EQM and will miss Platinum for first time in about six years. Have consistently been a strong supporter of NWA (Total Mileage Since Enrollment = 1,914,173) but based on some changes in travel needs for business this year, just didn't "make" it.

Anyone have any experiences with a similar situation? Is it even worth crafting a nice letter to NWA execs asking for status 'match' from previous years?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron
Would you be 7000 miles short if you had flown DL this year? With Double MQM, Hilton MQMs, Visa Spend, maybe not!

Seems kind of unfair for us doesn't it?

Do report what progress you do or do not make... and good luck!
Old Jan 3, 09, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by seattle_cameron View Post

Thanks in advance,
Cameron
As someone else already said...probably more worth it than ever but your chances are pretty much zero. They are taking a very hard line this year due to the merger and the already bloated ranks between the two airlines. My guess: Not a prayer.
Old Jan 3, 09, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
As someone else already said...probably more worth it than ever but your chances are pretty much zero. They are taking a very hard line this year due to the merger and the already bloated ranks between the two airlines. My guess: Not a prayer.
Here will come the real interesting part. Slightly O/T and I throw it out there for the board's consideration, but I wonder if the DL side of the house will get the plethora of 2x EQM promos while the NW side does not this year? I really expect one or more of the airlines to offer a 2x EQM promo this year with the miserable economic conditions. Yes, I know that the FT types really don't like these, and I am not saying it is a good idea, but I expect it to happen. I also worry NW WP types would not be eligible for it while DL SM types would be. Why you ask, because as much as we don't like to say it, the NW and the WP brand is dead. It is going away and not coming back. If you were the DL folks, would you really try to drive folks to a brand that will no longer exist, I would not. 2009 is not going to be fun IHMO for WP folks. YMMV.

Safe Travels.
Old Jan 3, 09, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GTITAN View Post
Here will come the real interesting part. Slightly O/T and I throw it out there for the board's consideration, but I wonder if the DL side of the house will get the plethora of 2x EQM promos while the NW side does not this year? I really expect one or more of the airlines to offer a 2x EQM promo this year with the miserable economic conditions. Yes, I know that the FT types really don't like these, and I am not saying it is a good idea, but I expect it to happen. I also worry NW WP types would not be eligible for it while DL SM types would be. Why you ask, because as much as we don't like to say it, the NW and the WP brand is dead. It is going away and not coming back. If you were the DL folks, would you really try to drive folks to a brand that will no longer exist, I would not. 2009 is not going to be fun IHMO for WP folks. YMMV.

Safe Travels.

Excellent point as always.

I think your guess is spot on and when that happens the NW crew will have no choice but to book DL tix to take advantage and will accomplish the hearding of customers to the surviving brand. It will, of course, continue to dilute the ranks and will very likely make Plat the only level that any real benefits will be had. Interesting year indeed.
Old Jan 4, 09, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Bump.

Finished the year with 72k.

Would have been 75,7xx but a LAX-MSP-GRR trip was canceled due to snow on Dec 19. Unable to reschedule in 2008.

$15/$20k total spend for my miles this year (thankfully not all out of my pocket).

Thoughts on requesting? Also, to where do you submit your request?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 09, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GTITAN View Post
Aside from when in 2009 you hit your threshold, it won't make a difference whether you're on Delta or NW. So if Delta throws a bonus program, book your flights on Delta. It'll all get combined at the end of the year anyway, if not sooner (target merge date is end of 2009, and I don't see how they can merge programs mid-year without counting EQMs from both.)

I personally plan to earn my miles on NW since I'm gold there, but might pick up an Amex card to squeeze 20k EQM out of my business spend.
Old Jan 5, 09, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
Aside from when in 2009 you hit your threshold, it won't make a difference whether you're on Delta or NW. So if Delta throws a bonus program, book your flights on Delta. It'll all get combined at the end of the year anyway, if not sooner (target merge date is end of 2009, and I don't see how they can merge programs mid-year without counting EQMs from both.)

I personally plan to earn my miles on NW since I'm gold there, but might pick up an Amex card to squeeze 20k EQM out of my business spend.
My point would be that as a NW WP elite member, one would not be permitted to earn the 2X EQMs. It is not about the "metal" in this case rather the FF No. Have you flown recently as a non-elite? It is not the best experience in the world.

Safe Travels.

Last edited by GTITAN; Jan 5, 09 at 9:45 am Reason: typo fix
Old Jan 5, 09, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
Aside from when in 2009 you hit your threshold, it won't make a difference whether you're on Delta or NW. So if Delta throws a bonus program, book your flights on Delta. It'll all get combined at the end of the year anyway, if not sooner (target merge date is end of 2009, and I don't see how they can merge programs mid-year without counting EQMs from both.).
In order to get the 2x EQM, you'd have to be crediting to DL SM. If you're not a SM member, that means you're flying as a nobody. No upgrades, no priority check in, baggage fees, no premium seating, etc. etc. etc.

I would really hope that this far in to the game, and promotions for EQMs would be run on both sides of the table.
Old Jan 5, 09, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SamuelS View Post
I posted another thread similar to this a week or two back because my partner (new flyer to NW, new WP enrollment) earned very close to the qualification level. When all was said and done, it tallies up as 24,947 EQM's in just 8 weeks of flying, almost all of it on paid full fare First Class.

NW has so far said 'get lost' to polite requests to consider an exception, even though the final flight of the year that was booked was cancelled due to weather otherwise it would have been well over qualification.

Granted this was lowly SE, not Platinum, but as a new to NW flyer in paid F doing it all in 8 weeks, I was very surprised that for 53 measly EQMs they would be so stingy.
Wow, I remember my first year, I had 23K and NW sent me an letter telling they extended my qualifying period for another two months.
Old Jan 5, 09, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
Wow, I remember my first year, I had 23K and NW sent me an letter telling they extended my qualifying period for another two months.
That was NW and not DL To be honest I think DL, under normal circumstances will talk to you if you are close but because of the merger they have taken a hard stand on qualification this year.
Old Jan 7, 09, 11:06 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Just an update

My partner logged in to WP account today and it shows Elite from 01/March/09 onwards. It does not show Elite from now through 28/Feb unlike my account. I'm guessing this is because for myself - I already qualifed last year for 2009 year and got the status immediately but for my partner I'm guessing they decided to make an exception after all given that it was less than 100 EQM's off qualifying, and the other issues (cancelled flights etc.).

An email was sent to Customer Care, and it looks like this may have done it.

Search this Thread